Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Help me understand, .40 copper I ordered is too long.

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • #16
    Sheldon
    Senior Member
    • Oct 2005
    • 2149

    I would NOT use those bullets with any standard load data for a standard bullet made with lead in it. The bullet is much longer than the standard plain lead or plated /jacketed lead bullet and your case capacity is greatly reduced. Using regular data and loading that longer bullet to standard OAL is SURE to give higher than expected pressures.

    Comment

    • #17
      bumpo628
      Senior Member
      • Nov 2009
      • 1142

      The 40 is already a high pressure round to begin with, so you need to use copper load data. I found some on the Barnes website here:
      Pioneering the world's most effective all-copper hunting bullet. For over 30 years, we've been engineering the most advanced hunting bullets, trusted by the world's best hunters and shooters.


      If you still want to try these bullets, it may improve if you increase the bell.
      Ronald Reagan once said that the most terrifying words in the English language are: "I'm from the government and I'm here to help".
      Download my alloy calculator here: http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?t=105952

      Comment

      • #18
        pdq_wizzard
        Veteran Member
        • May 2008
        • 3813

        why not call / email the comp ??

        Grafton, Ohio manufacturer of lead-free solid copper hollow point bullets, green safe, no waste.


        I would think if anyone can help it would be them...

        just because you do it your self don't meen you have to be alone.
        Q: What was the most positive result of the "Cash for Clunkers" program?
        A: It took 95% of the Obama bumper stickers off the road.

        Originally posted by M. Sage
        More what? More crazy?
        You live in California. There's always more crazy. It's a renewable resource.

        Comment

        • #19
          GlockBlocker
          Member
          • Sep 2009
          • 346

          Originally posted by pdq_wizzard
          why not call / email the comp ??

          Grafton, Ohio manufacturer of lead-free solid copper hollow point bullets, green safe, no waste.


          I would think if anyone can help it would be them...

          just because you do it your self don't meen you have to be alone.
          Good idea! I rang them up and received some load data. They also suggested trying a different brand of brass. They hadn't run across the problem I'm having.

          Here's the load data they gave me in case anyone comes up on this from a search:

          accurate 5
          min 4.6gr
          max 5.1gr pressure: 31960 velocity: 1818
          OAL 1.135
          Last edited by GlockBlocker; 02-03-2011, 12:43 PM.

          Comment

          • #20
            SixPointEight
            Veteran Member
            • May 2009
            • 3788

            Not sure your location, but do you NEED lead free bullets? I might try a lighter weight. From the limited data I did find though, 1850 fps is not right. I found 6.8-7.5gr #5 behind a 155 at 1158fps. The fastest recipes I can find are in the 1300fps range. And those are for lead bullets. From DoubleTap 140gr Lead-free they are advertising 1240fps.

            At the very least, the velocity you got is wrong, or shot out of some very long barrel.
            Last edited by SixPointEight; 02-03-2011, 10:29 AM.

            Comment

            • #21
              bumpo628
              Senior Member
              • Nov 2009
              • 1142

              Originally posted by JT1989
              Not sure your location, but do you NEED lead free bullets? I might try a lighter weight. From the limited data I did find though, 1850 fps is not right. I found 6.8-7.5gr #5 behind a 155 at 1158fps. The fastest recipes I can find are in the 1300fps range. And those are for lead bullets. From DoubleTap 140gr Lead-free they are advertising 1240fps.

              At the very least, the velocity you got is wrong, or shot out of some very long barrel.
              It must be 818 fps
              Last edited by bumpo628; 02-05-2011, 2:27 PM.
              Ronald Reagan once said that the most terrifying words in the English language are: "I'm from the government and I'm here to help".
              Download my alloy calculator here: http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?t=105952

              Comment

              • #22
                GlockBlocker
                Member
                • Sep 2009
                • 346

                Originally posted by JT1989
                Not sure your location, but do you NEED lead free bullets? I might try a lighter weight. From the limited data I did find though, 1850 fps is not right. I found 6.8-7.5gr #5 behind a 155 at 1158fps. The fastest recipes I can find are in the 1300fps range. And those are for lead bullets. From DoubleTap 140gr Lead-free they are advertising 1240fps.

                At the very least, the velocity you got is wrong, or shot out of some very long barrel.
                Going hunting in the condor zone, so yeah, I need non lead.

                Could the velocity be because it's a longer bullet compressing the powder? I should probably call back to confirm I got the correct data.

                Comment

                • #23
                  bumpo628
                  Senior Member
                  • Nov 2009
                  • 1142

                  Originally posted by GlockBlocker
                  Going hunting in the condor zone, so yeah, I need non lead.

                  Could the velocity be because it's a longer bullet compressing the powder? I should probably call back to confirm I got the correct data.
                  Check out the velocities on the Barnes page I linked to before:
                  Pioneering the world's most effective all-copper hunting bullet. For over 30 years, we've been engineering the most advanced hunting bullets, trusted by the world's best hunters and shooters.


                  They are all in the neighborhood of 1000 fps.
                  No. 5 powder is listed for the lighter bullet and it is a little faster with a bit more powder.
                  Ronald Reagan once said that the most terrifying words in the English language are: "I'm from the government and I'm here to help".
                  Download my alloy calculator here: http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?t=105952

                  Comment

                  • #24
                    gadjeep
                    Senior Member
                    • May 2009
                    • 1942

                    Maybe the manufacturer gave you load data for 10mm by mistake.

                    If I'm not mistaken, Hornady makes a 200gr .401 xtp that the manual states to use only for 10mm due to the increased length of the projo. This 155gr copper projo may correspond to those dimensions due to the decreased density.
                    I'll check when I get home.
                    STUFF I HAVE FOR SALE! SCOPE RINGS, Man CAVE FRIDGE, ETC
                    http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/s...30#post7299330
                    http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/s...d.php?t=487541

                    STUFF I WANT TO BUY! Glock 20, Marlin model 39

                    Comment

                    • #25
                      GlockBlocker
                      Member
                      • Sep 2009
                      • 346

                      I called back and confirmed the numbers. He said accurate won't compress like the longshot and that was his favorite load. They are very welcoming to support calls like this.

                      I went out and just bought loaded ammo for this trip ($$$$$), so maybe I'll just use these for my 10mm. It gets out of jail Monday.

                      Comment

                      • #26
                        GlockBlocker
                        Member
                        • Sep 2009
                        • 346

                        a little bit of resolve here. taking into account all the info here, using different (thinner RP) brass than winchester, getting some accurate #5, and checking if the round chambers in my pistol, i feel OK about the latest loads.

                        out of 5, 4 fit in the caliber gage just fine, the last one is tad tight 1/2 way down, but it chambers just fine.

                        accurate #5 is very fine and nothing is compressing. it fills at most 1/2 as high as 800-x.

                        Comment

                        • #27
                          bruce381
                          Senior Member
                          • Feb 2009
                          • 2453

                          I thought that only when hunting the ammo had to be lead free if you carry a side arm buit are not hunting with it them lead is ok?

                          Comment

                          • #28
                            Munk
                            Senior Member
                            • Jun 2010
                            • 2124

                            Originally posted by bruce381
                            I thought that only when hunting the ammo had to be lead free if you carry a side arm buit are not hunting with it them lead is ok?
                            The law says that posession of lead ammo and simultaneous posession of the firearm that can fire it is a NO GO in condor zone.... so back asswards
                            Originally posted by greasemonkey
                            1911's instill fairy dust in the bullets, making them more deadly.

                            Comment

                            • #29
                              Sky_DiveR
                              Veteran Member
                              • Dec 2008
                              • 3017

                              Fjold hit the nail on the head. Change the bullet or change the brand of brass, if you are using the proper load data.

                              Others are right also about copper being lighter than lead which in turn results in a longer bullet for an equivalent weight. Use load data only for copper bullets for that reason. You haven't given enough info regarding powder and brass but I suspect that you may be using lead jacketed loading data which could result in a very dangerous situation. If no manufacturer lists data for the components you are using with copper bullets, do not substitute with lead load data.

                              Just my $0.02

                              Btw, the manufacturer was quoting straight out of the Accurate manual.

                              No. 5 - 155 gr BARnes XPB (copper) MIN: 4.6gr@736fps; MAX: 5.1gr@818fps; 31,960psi 1.135"OAL
                              Last edited by Sky_DiveR; 02-05-2011, 2:16 PM. Reason: specs

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              UA-8071174-1