Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

5.56/223, Trim your cases?

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • stormvet
    I need a LIFE!!
    • Mar 2010
    • 12681

    5.56/223, Trim your cases?

    How many trim their cases? It is the one part of reloading I really hate.
    Not talking match rounds just general purpose training rounds, for AR15s.
    Is it really needed?
    53
    Yes, trim all the time.
    0%
    49
    No, not needed.
    0%
    4
    Im a warmonger baby, I got blood in my eyes and I'm looking at you.
  • #2
    XDRoX
    Veteran Member
    • Mar 2009
    • 4420

    I measure and if they need trimming I trim. They do sell an X-die that requires no trimming after one initial trim.
    Chris
    <----Rimfire Addict


    Originally posted by Oceanbob
    Get a DILLON...

    Comment

    • #3
      bruceflinch
      I need a LIFE!!
      • Jan 2006
      • 40155

      I resize & drop in the case gauge. Trim as necessary.
      Actually I only started collecting Milsurps 3 years ago. I think I might own about 24...They're cheaper than guns that will most likely never get the opportunity to kill somebody...

      I belong to the group that uses firearms, and knows which bathroom to use.

      Tis better to have Trolled & lost, Than to never have Trolled, at all.

      Secret Club Member?.

      Comment

      • #4
        stphnman20
        Calguns Addict
        • Feb 2005
        • 6583

        I always trim..

        Comment

        • #5
          killshot44
          Veteran Member
          • Nov 2009
          • 4072

          You left out the most salient option: Do you trim when they're over 1.760" maximum?

          The pain in the a*s is measuring every one. Not every one needs to be trimmed, but the only way to know which one is to measure 'em all.

          Being Lazy and being a Handloader are a terrible mix. Decide which one you want to be.

          Comment

          • #6
            CSACANNONEER
            CGN/CGSSA Contributor - Lifetime
            CGN Contributor - Lifetime
            • Dec 2006
            • 44094

            Using bottlenecked brass that is too long is asking for trouble. Either measure/trim your brass or expect your gun to blow up in your face.

            If you are trying to make decent ammo, all your brass should be the same length. If you just want to make cheap blaster ammo, all your brass still needs to be within spec.
            NRA Certified Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun and Metallic Cartridge Reloading Instructor
            California DOJ Certified Fingerprint Roller
            Ventura County approved CCW Instructor
            Utah CCW Instructor


            Offering low cost multi state CCW, private basic shooting and reloading classes for calgunners.

            sigpic
            CCW SAFE MEMBERSHIPS HERE

            KM6WLV

            Comment

            • #7
              GeoffLinder
              Senior Member
              • Jul 2009
              • 2425

              Trimming is important IF you crimp as crimp amount is entirely dependent on case length.

              And yes, you must trim if the cases are anywhere near the max length (noted earlier).

              If you trim them to minimum (1.750) to start you should be OK for at least 2 firings, but remember, measuring is what must be done to be sure of anything here

              Comment

              • #8
                XDRoX
                Veteran Member
                • Mar 2009
                • 4420

                None of you guys are using an X-die?
                Chris
                <----Rimfire Addict


                Originally posted by Oceanbob
                Get a DILLON...

                Comment

                • #9
                  pdq_wizzard
                  Veteran Member
                  • May 2008
                  • 3813

                  Originally posted by XDRoX
                  None of you guys are using an X-die?
                  I would think even with X-dies you still might need to trim from time to time. I have over 6K of .223 brass so I just batch trim when I need to reload, if it's the right lenth it dosen't get trimed.
                  Q: What was the most positive result of the "Cash for Clunkers" program?
                  A: It took 95% of the Obama bumper stickers off the road.

                  Originally posted by M. Sage
                  More what? More crazy?
                  You live in California. There's always more crazy. It's a renewable resource.

                  Comment

                  • #10
                    Full Clip
                    I need a LIFE!!
                    • Dec 2006
                    • 10266

                    Another reason why I send out my .223 for processing.

                    Comment

                    • #11
                      GeoffLinder
                      Senior Member
                      • Jul 2009
                      • 2425

                      Originally posted by XDRoX
                      None of you guys are using an X-die?
                      Nope, not here. My feeling on it is why bother with an X-die when I have a Gracey trimmer already and trimming is just so easy using the Gracey that it ain't even funny

                      Comment

                      • #12
                        davegar1
                        Member
                        • Dec 2008
                        • 450

                        I run all cases thru an LE Wilson trimmer for peace of mind and uniformity. Process doesn't take that long and gives nice uniform cases to begin with.

                        Comment

                        • #13
                          cjskalka
                          Member
                          • Apr 2009
                          • 458

                          I use the Dillon electric trimmer to trim and resize, makes trimming easy.

                          Comment

                          • #14
                            Gunsrruss
                            Senior Member
                            • Jan 2006
                            • 1488

                            Giraud

                            Originally posted by stormvet
                            How many trim their cases? It is the one part of reloading I really hate.
                            Not talking match rounds just general purpose training rounds, for AR15s.
                            Is it really needed?
                            You wouldn't hate it if you had a Giraud trimmer....just simply better than sliced bread
                            I won't be wronged
                            I won't be insulted
                            And I won't be laid a hand on.
                            I don't do these things to other people, and I require the same from them.....John Wayne

                            Comment

                            • #15
                              SuperSet
                              Calguns Addict
                              • Feb 2007
                              • 9048

                              I'm with Full Clip (or Full Magazine for the PC crowd). Send out your brass for processing and I even had the Giraud at one time. I hate rifle brass prep.

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              UA-8071174-1