Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Solid Copper Hunting Ammo suggestions?

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • freshdesigns@hotmail.com
    Senior Member
    • Jul 2004
    • 694

    Solid Copper Hunting Ammo suggestions?

    For lead-free zones here in CA, can anyone suggest their top 3 all around factory hunting ammo for the following (I don't reload):

    22-250: For various varmints small and large up to coyotes.

    270 Win: For wild boar/hogs up to elk and moose.

    7mm Rem Mag: For wild boar/hogs up to elk and moose.

    I'd like to take suggestions and test ammo for performance from my rifle. Then take the best and buy in bulk! Thanks in advance.
  • #2
    professionalcoyotehunter
    Banned
    • Nov 2008
    • 12805

    Barnes X are the best all around lead free cartridges that you can buy over the counter.

    Comment

    • #3
      incredablehefey
      Senior Member
      • Feb 2010
      • 1853

      barnes, everyone else is a copy

      you dont need to reload to enjoy them any more
      vor-tx
      they dont make a 22-250 yet but i imagine they will if there is money to be made
      Last edited by incredablehefey; 01-18-2011, 10:51 AM.
      "The need in public and private life is common sense, decency, courage." - President Roosevelt

      Comment

      • #4
        freshdesigns@hotmail.com
        Senior Member
        • Jul 2004
        • 694

        So basically any manufacturer that uses a Barnes X bullet would be good to go? Is this bullet available in these calibers?

        Comment

        • #5
          professionalcoyotehunter
          Banned
          • Nov 2008
          • 12805

          Yes, you can get them at WM.

          Comment

          • #6
            Andy S
            Junior Member
            • Sep 2010
            • 72

            Barnes Triple shock in Federal

            I went through exactly the same thing for my 30-06. Best lead free bullet on the best consistant factory ammo? For accuracy, I found that the Remington, Hornady superperformance and Federal were all excellent. From the point of view of bullet terminal performance (stopping power), I got lots of feed back that the Barnes was the best and I personally observed great results with the Federal (Barnes) and not good results with the Remington green (that is lead free but not their all copper). In the end, I went with Federal/Barnes as they are widely available and in the 30-06 come in 110, 150, 165 and 180 - all lead free. There was an older Barnes X bullet but that has been replaced with the triple shock that has groves around it I am told to cut down on barrel fouling. I did not find out much about the Winchester E-tips (lead free).

            Comment

            • #7
              Fjold
              I need a LIFE!!
              • Oct 2005
              • 23062

              I'd recommend the Federal TSX loads, I handload all my hunting ammunition but I use the TSX bullets in my 375 H&H, 7mm Rem Mag and 6.5x284 for deer, antelope and African game. Every one was a one shot kill except for a Gemsbock where my first bullet hit a branch and wounded him and it took two more running shots to knock him down.

              I use the Barnes varmint grenades in my 22.250 for ground squirrels although they're not as explosive as my favorite Hornady V Max bullets they still get the job done.
              Frank

              One rifle, one planet, Holland's 375




              Life Member NRA, CRPA and SAF

              Comment

              • #8
                freshdesigns@hotmail.com
                Senior Member
                • Jul 2004
                • 694

                How about 10mm handgun loads in my Glock 29? Anyone feel that the Corbon 155-gr XPB or Double Tap 10mm 155gr XPB would be good in a back up gun while wild boar hunting?

                FYI, here's a list from Barnes of all the lead-free loaded ammunition companies:
                Pioneering the world's most effective all-copper hunting bullet. For over 30 years, we've been engineering the most advanced hunting bullets, trusted by the world's best hunters and shooters.

                Comment

                • #9
                  sd_shooter
                  I need a LIFE!!
                  • Dec 2008
                  • 14280

                  Originally posted by freshdesigns@hotmail.com
                  How about 10mm handgun loads in my Glock 29? Anyone feel that the Corbon 155-gr XPB or Double Tap 10mm 155gr XPB would be good in a back up gun while wild boar hunting?

                  FYI, here's a list from Barnes of all the lead-free loaded ammunition companies:
                  http://www.barnesbullets.com/product...ed-ammunition/
                  Thanks for the link!

                  Would this 7.62x39 work on boar?


                  7.62x39 Russian Barnes TSX Lead Free 20rds $36.95
                  7.62x39 Russian Barnes TSX Lead Free 20rds
                  Click to enlarge

                  A true hunting round for your 7.62x39 rifle. Good for deer and antelope as well as personal defense where extra penetration might be needed. Super accurate and really hits hard.

                  Caliber : 7.62x39 Russian

                  Bullet : 123gr. Barnes TSX

                  Ballistics : 2400fps - 1574 ft./lbs. - SKS
                  AK-47 - 2280fps

                  Box of 20rds

                  Comment

                  • #10
                    brianinca
                    Member
                    • May 2010
                    • 359

                    >>>

                    Would this 7.62x39 work on boar?
                    >>>

                    Yes, that's pretty much exactly my handload recipe for my Mini-30. I carry DT ammo everyday, they are a quality outfit.

                    Regards,
                    Brian in CA

                    Comment

                    • #11
                      Rusty_Buckhorn
                      Senior Member
                      • May 2010
                      • 1124

                      Originally posted by freshdesigns@hotmail.com
                      For lead-free zones here in CA, can anyone suggest their top 3 all around factory hunting ammo for the following (I don't reload):
                      270 Win: For wild boar/hogs up to elk and moose.
                      7mm Rem Mag: For wild boar/hogs up to elk and moose.
                      not many moose in the condor zone

                      Comment

                      • #12
                        mif_slim
                        I need a LIFE!!
                        • Apr 2008
                        • 10089

                        Originally posted by Rusty_Buckhorn
                        not many moose in the condor zone
                        Actually I saw about 5 of them.























                        mounted at the gun shop.
                        Originally posted by Gottmituns
                        It's not protecting the rights of the 1%, it's IMPOSING new laws because of the 1%.

                        Comment

                        Working...
                        UA-8071174-1