Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

30-06 After Action report

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • SanPedroShooter
    Calguns Addict
    • Jan 2010
    • 9732

    30-06 After Action report

    I took this out of another post that got lost in the shuffle. I was hoping for some feedback.

    After action report. I started with 42.3 (2400 fps) and 44.2g (2500 fps) of varget behind a 150g fmj/bt.

    Everything went perfect, well maybe not perfect, I had a couple dummies thrown in that i didnt notice. There were no ftf, fte, although i did have some ftfeed and a jam or two, but i think this is from the new clip and the fact the gun has had very little use, i need to break it in. I definitely liked one load over another, but in the excitement of checking the fired brass for inspection etc... i forget to note which one.

    One load was definitly a lot smoother and had a more consistent ejection pattern. Almost all at two or three o'clock. On the first batch (the lighter one), some where actually flying off to the left at 11 or ten o'clock.
    I am totally stoked on reloading, and intend to start on the rest of the calibers i shoot after i master 30-06.

    On a side note, i love my new garand. Very accurate right out of the box. I dont shoot at paper, mostly empty paint cans, but i was picking them off at least 100-150 meters no problem.
    The felt recoil is made very manageable by the weight and balance of the gun itself, and the trigger has a nice clean break. My new favorite! It does put a little nick in the brass, and chew up the extractor groove a little, but i think i can live with that.

    Also the fired brass measures very close to the unfired, so there doesnt seem to be much strecthing going on.


    Also, there where one or two 30-06 cases that still had a little unburned powder in them.

    At this point I have resized the brass Setting to the directions that came with the die was pushing the shoulder way back. I set it up to size back to the dimensions taken from a piece of unfired brass. Same headspace, or close, and same oal and neck length. I need to get a comparator, you're really loading blind without one.

    All in all, things went as good as i hoped. I am pretty sure the lighter loads were responsible for the inconsistant ejection, and will be sticking with the heavier load.
    Thanks for commenting.
    Last edited by SanPedroShooter; 01-11-2011, 7:23 AM.
  • #2
    sfonelson
    Member
    • Feb 2010
    • 357

    That sounds good! What cases are you using? I plan on reloading very soon for my Garand. I have some of the Greek HXP brass that I am going to use. The powder that I am going to use is H4895.

    Right now, with the new HXP surpluss, the brass ejects at about 2-3 o'clock. I am interested to see if the ejection pattern will change once I reload with a different powder.

    What Garand did you get? Post some pics!

    Comment

    • #3
      SanPedroShooter
      Calguns Addict
      • Jan 2010
      • 9732

      Yeah i've got a bunch of hxp coming. I used new rem brass for these. I plan to switch to the more standard IMR powder.
      I was reading that proper (or improper) greasing can effect ejection.

      Comment

      • #4
        sfonelson
        Member
        • Feb 2010
        • 357

        When did you order your HXP? I ordered mine through CMP before Christmas. They billed me for it, but I guess there's a huge backlog.

        I am going to order two more ammo cans from them, just cause it's so cheap and I want to re-use the brass. It's actually so cheap through CMP for 30-06 that I should just keep buying it from them, then when the HXP surplus dries up, I will literally have hundreds of cases to use for reloading.

        Originally posted by brent*
        Yeah i've got a bunch of hxp coming. I used new rem brass for these. I plan to switch to the more standard IMR powder.
        I was reading that proper (or improper) greasing can effect ejection.

        Comment

        • #5
          SanPedroShooter
          Calguns Addict
          • Jan 2010
          • 9732

          I am doing the exact same thing, albiet a little more slowly, ive got other calibers to feed.
          I placed my order in november when they were out of the clipped ammo, but when they got more in, i changed it. So my order got set back to 12-17. From what i understand they are on the end of nov, first of dec, order wise.
          I dont expect to see anything untill after feb 1. Also, the manager over their says they have enough hxp to last three or four years at this sales rate. same with garands.
          This is truly the golden age for the CMP.

          Comment

          • #6
            sfonelson
            Member
            • Feb 2010
            • 357

            Lol, at this sales rate? Thay must have an s-load of HXP then.

            So what kind of Garand did you get? Do you have a CMP Garand?

            Originally posted by brent*
            I am doing the exact same thing, albiet a little more slowly, ive got other calibers to feed.
            I placed my order in november when they were out of the clipped ammo, but when they got more in, i changed it. So my order got set back to 12-17. From what i understand they are on the end of nov, first of dec, order wise.
            I dont expect to see anything untill after feb 1. Also, the manager over their says they have enough hxp to last three or four years at this sales rate. same with garands.
            This is truly the golden age for the CMP.

            Comment

            • #7
              SanPedroShooter
              Calguns Addict
              • Jan 2010
              • 9732

              Yeah i just got a SG HRA in pristine condtion. New stock though, oh well. I saw a picture of their warehouse and it looks like the warehouse at the end of radiers of the lost ark...
              Maybe it was a picture from radiers of the lost ark and someone was just being funny, but its still alot if ammo.

              Comment

              Working...
              UA-8071174-1