Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

If I wanted to reload...

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • mike_the_wino
    Veteran Member
    • Aug 2010
    • 2871

    If I wanted to reload...

    ...what's it gonna take to start? I mean just the basic loading thingy. I know brass and projeticles are a different animal.

    It just seems like 30-30 is a pain in the *** to find and expensive as hell. So if I can make it worthwhile for this ammo AND have something which handles everything from.....forgive caliber ignorance.....0.223/5.56, 9mm, 0.303, 7.62x39, 0.308....

    what is a good reloader to get? Money is...well...part of the equation but quality is more important.
  • #2
    alex45auto
    Senior Member
    • Dec 2008
    • 987

    RCBS Rock Chucker for a basic press. Dillon 550B for progressive.

    Comment

    • #3
      straykiller
      Veteran Member
      • Feb 2010
      • 2573

      a dillion 550b would work good for you i just bought one off a member here on the forums and love it, if you post this in the reloading section of the forum you will probably get more replies also


      Zombie Stickers For Sale

      ClassifiedWeapons.com

      Looking for a particular parts kit? Check out our parts kit locator that is automatically updated every 6 hours. Now you can see parts kits being offered by multiple websites in one location. Just select the parts kit button on the right of the home page to begin looking.
      -------
      Home Builds- 1919a4, Sten Mk3, Romy G Ak-47, PSL Pistol,Romanian RPK

      Comment

      • #4
        Roccobro
        Veteran Member
        • Feb 2007
        • 2907

        In the reloading section Randall (AR15Barrels) has perfect threads on this very topic.

        I went Hornady and haven't looked back. But I wish I had a single stage press as well sometimes.

        Justin
        For any questions contact me by email.
        Thanks,
        Justin
        Originally posted by ar15barrels
        Sometimes, arguing just for the sake of arguing, can be fun.
        Originally posted by DannyZRC
        no it can't!
        Originally posted by ar15barrels
        YES IT CAN!
        "Pink rifle disease... SPREAD IT!"

        Comment

        • #5
          We The People Firearms
          Vendor/Retailer
          • Aug 2010
          • 167

          By the calibers you listed, it looks like you have mostly rifle cals. to load. I would start with a single stage press, in which you perform each function individually, until you get the hang of it. The single stage can be used for any caliber, but is obviously slower than a progressive. Some progressives allow you to load many calibers including rifle calibers progressively, such as the Hornaday Lock n' Load. Personally, I have always used Lee products and are comfortable with them. You will get a hundred opinions on which loaders are best, but what works for you is all that matters. I have a Lee single stage for my .308, and progressive loaders for .223, .45, 9mm, .40, etc. I have RCBS scales, hornady tumblers, etc. Check out some threads and watch some videos. Better yet, find someone who reloads and you can learn very fast. depending on where you get your components, and once you have a stockpile of brass, your savings could be between 50% and 65% of retail ammo costs.
          Burninsome

          Comment

          • #6
            EBR Works
            Vendor/Retailer
            • Dec 2007
            • 10492

            Buy and read this before you reload your first round or purchase anything else:






            Originally posted by alex45auto
            RCBS Rock Chucker for a basic press.
            ^^ This.

            .
            .
            .
            .


            Check out our e-commerce site here:

            www.ebrworks.com

            Serving you from Prescott, AZ

            Comment

            • #7
              BigBronco also not a Cabinetguy
              Calguns Addict
              • Jul 2009
              • 7079

              Before you spend any of your hard earned dough. See if there is a free reloading seminar you can attend. Many shops that sell reloading gear offer them. Or perhaps a fellow Calgunner can take you under his wings so to speak and show you some of the ropes if not just the basics. Read all you can and determine your budget. Rule of thumb is the higher your budget the less time you may spend at the bench. Unless of course you get the bug and decide to stock up for the coming Apocalypse. This is sickness easy to catch since buying components in bulk saves even more $$$ Some reload a box or two a month and some of us, may need a 12 step program. Post your location and some one may offer up some help.
              "Life is a long song" Jethro Tull

              Comment

              • #8
                Cowboy T
                Calguns Addict
                • Mar 2010
                • 5725

                Start with single-stage. Pretty much any single-stage press from any of the major manufacturers is a good choice. Lee makes a very good one, called the "Classic Cast Press" that is built like a tank, that you might consider. The RCBS Rockchucker is another very good one.

                I would not suggest going progressive at this point, not until you get some experience under your belt. And as others have said, read those reloading books first!
                "San Francisco Liberal With A Gun"
                F***ing with people's heads, one gun show at a time. Hallelujah!
                http://www.sanfranciscoliberalwithagun.com (reloading info w/ videos)
                http://www.liberalsguncorner.com (podcast)
                http://www.youtube.com/sfliberal (YouTube channel)
                ----------------------------------------------------
                To be a true Liberal, you must be 100% pro-Second Amendment. Anything less is inconsistent with liberalism.

                Comment

                • #9
                  chim-chim7
                  Senior Member
                  • Aug 2010
                  • 1845

                  Look around at what the local gun shops carry. If they don't carry a brand you settle on then it's the internet and waiting for items. All the shops in San Diego carry RCBS and very little of anything else, including Turners. If I need something quick, I know I can just run down and grab it. Also the reloaders in those shops use RCBS so asking questions is easier.

                  Comment

                  Working...
                  UA-8071174-1