Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Most Accurate Powder Measure for BLC2

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • ronas
    Senior Member
    • Mar 2009
    • 758

    Most Accurate Powder Measure for BLC2

    Normally I use my Dillon 650XL but I wanted to load some real accurate rounds to get better accuracy with new AR at 200 yards.

    So I preped the brass really carefully, all trimmed to proper length and set primers with RCBS hand primer tool.

    I used my old RCBS powder measure, I think it's called a uniflow. Set it up to drop 25.5 grains of BLC2 and checked weight with RCBS 5-10 scale. I weighed every 6th or 8th dropped charge.

    Well each dropped charge was so accurate I thought my scale was sticking or something. Well it was not sticking. I think the BLC2 powder just works real good with this powder measure. With nearly each dropped charge the lines on the scale lined up exactly. The few charges where the lines did not line up perfectly they were so close that the lines on the scale were only off by a hair and were essentially lined up so the scale lines were still touching each other.

    I've used 748 and it was not nearly as consistent as the BLC2 in the RCBS powder measure.

    I've never achieved this good of consistancy with the powder measure in my Dillon with BLC2.
  • #2
    Fjold
    I need a LIFE!!
    • Oct 2005
    • 23062

    BL(c)-2 is a ball powder that meters very well. I use it in my Dillon measure for 223s without problems.
    Frank

    One rifle, one planet, Holland's 375




    Life Member NRA, CRPA and SAF

    Comment

    • #3
      ronas
      Senior Member
      • Mar 2009
      • 758

      BL(c)-2 is a ball powder that meters very well. I use it in my Dillon measure for 223s without problems.
      I too use the blc2 in my dillon without problems. But when I weight the charges they have never been as consistant as when I used the RCBS meter.

      I'm certainly not going to use the RCBS all the time. It was just used because I wanted to loaded some more consistant ammo to see how accurate my new Larue OBR 556 can be. I used Nosler competition and SMKs in 69 grain weight. Also did some 77grain SMK.

      Comment

      • #4
        Gunsrruss
        Senior Member
        • Jan 2006
        • 1488

        Powder

        Originally posted by ronas
        I too use the blc2 in my dillon without problems. But when I weight the charges they have never been as consistant as when I used the RCBS meter.

        I'm certainly not going to use the RCBS all the time. It was just used because I wanted to loaded some more consistant ammo to see how accurate my new Larue OBR 556 can be. I used Nosler competition and SMKs in 69 grain weight. Also did some 77grain SMK.
        I would suggest H335 for the 69gr bullets. I have 70lbs of WCC846 or BLC-2 but if I were reloading the 69's I would use a faster powder. 24.5gr of H335 worked good for me in competition shooting. I use the BLC-2 on my 75gr Hornady match bullets. 24.7gr does real well in competition. Also try 24.5gr of 846 or BLC-2 for your 80gr bullets with OAL of 2.435. The length is important. Merry Christmas and have a nice day
        I won't be wronged
        I won't be insulted
        And I won't be laid a hand on.
        I don't do these things to other people, and I require the same from them.....John Wayne

        Comment

        • #5
          ronas
          Senior Member
          • Mar 2009
          • 758

          I would suggest H335 for the 69gr bullets. I have 70lbs of WCC846 or BLC-2 but if I were reloading the 69's I would use a faster powder. 24.5gr of H335 worked good for me in competition shooting.
          I may be misunderstanding you but are you saying the burn rate of H335 is faster than BLC2.
          My rate chart shows H335 is slightly slower burning. I do have 748 which is slightly faster burninng.

          Comment

          • #6
            Gunsrruss
            Senior Member
            • Jan 2006
            • 1488

            Powder

            Yes, H335 is a faster powder than BLC-2. I used it for years on the Sierra 69gr until Sierra priced themselves out of the market. Now I use Hornady 75's
            I also set my Dillon 550B up to dispense WCC 846 ( BLC-2 ) for .308 loads. Mind you I always use a Pact Powder Dispenser and scale. But I took the scale out and measured the amount of powder. I could dial it in to .1 or exact on ten throws. That's as good as my Pact. So we will be loading .308 today
            Last edited by Gunsrruss; 12-26-2010, 8:23 AM.
            I won't be wronged
            I won't be insulted
            And I won't be laid a hand on.
            I don't do these things to other people, and I require the same from them.....John Wayne

            Comment

            • #7
              ronas
              Senior Member
              • Mar 2009
              • 758

              Yes, H335 is a faster powder than BLC-2. I used it for years on the Sierra 69gr until Sierra priced themselves out of the market. Now I use Hornady 75's
              Yes the SMK are expensive I paid as I recall $93 for 500 and something like $14 for a box of 50. I bought some Nosler competition 69g and they were less than the SMK. I have shot the SMK and Noslers before and they are far more accurate than the 55g fmjbt/ with cannalure.

              Comment

              • #8
                Gunsrruss
                Senior Member
                • Jan 2006
                • 1488

                Nosler

                If you can stick with the 69gr or higher for shooting. OAL should be 2.250-5. That will work for you. Also 24.5gr of H335 or about 25gr of BLC-2. If you get the 75 Hornady Match 600 ct they are $82 at Midsouth shooters supply. They will work better in the 1 in 8 twist barrel. If you have 1 in 9 stick with the 69gr.
                Hornady 75 match 24.7gr of BLC-2 with OAL of 2.250-5
                I won't be wronged
                I won't be insulted
                And I won't be laid a hand on.
                I don't do these things to other people, and I require the same from them.....John Wayne

                Comment

                Working...
                UA-8071174-1