Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

carbide dies and lube

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • #16
    problemchild
    Banned
    • Oct 2005
    • 6959

    Handgun=no*
    Rifle=yes

    *500 smith=yes
    Last edited by problemchild; 10-30-2010, 5:32 PM.

    Comment

    • #17
      CSACANNONEER
      CGN/CGSSA Contributor - Lifetime
      CGN Contributor - Lifetime
      • Dec 2006
      • 44094

      Carbide die or not, I lube any bottle necked or tapered cartridge and don't lube straight walled stuff. However, if I was to size 50 Beowulf, 45-110 or similar cases, I would always use lube.

      I would never say "pistol" or "rifle" cartrideges since, there are too many exceptions to this rule.
      NRA Certified Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun and Metallic Cartridge Reloading Instructor
      California DOJ Certified Fingerprint Roller
      Ventura County approved CCW Instructor
      Utah CCW Instructor


      Offering low cost multi state CCW, private basic shooting and reloading classes for calgunners.

      sigpic
      CCW SAFE MEMBERSHIPS HERE

      KM6WLV

      Comment

      • #18
        wellerjohn
        Member
        • May 2008
        • 393

        Originally posted by stewiegriffin
        You're going to hear both sides of this discussion. Some lube because it makes things run smoother, especially on a progressive. Some don't lube at all and the last time I bought dies (RCBS 45ACP), the gun store dude told me to NOT use case lube.

        Manufacturers will tell you that it is not necessary, but it doesnt hurt if you do.

        I lube.
        Just a bit of spray lube make my dillon 650 run smooth a silk!

        Comment

        • #19
          tankerman
          I need a LIFE!!
          • Mar 2006
          • 24240

          Why buy carbide if you're going to use lube? Just a waste of money.

          I love carbide, I hate lube.

          Comment

          • #20
            CSACANNONEER
            CGN/CGSSA Contributor - Lifetime
            CGN Contributor - Lifetime
            • Dec 2006
            • 44094

            Originally posted by tankerman
            Why buy carbide if you're going to use lube? Just a waste of money.

            I love carbide, I hate lube.
            Carbide dies last longer, lubed or not. Even with carbide dies, one NEEDS to lube bottlenecked and tapered cartridges.
            NRA Certified Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun and Metallic Cartridge Reloading Instructor
            California DOJ Certified Fingerprint Roller
            Ventura County approved CCW Instructor
            Utah CCW Instructor


            Offering low cost multi state CCW, private basic shooting and reloading classes for calgunners.

            sigpic
            CCW SAFE MEMBERSHIPS HERE

            KM6WLV

            Comment

            • #21
              tankerman
              I need a LIFE!!
              • Mar 2006
              • 24240

              Originally posted by CSACANNONEER
              Carbide dies last longer, lubed or not. Even with carbide dies, one NEEDS to lube bottlenecked and tapered cartridges.
              I only buy straight wall (pistol case) carbide dies, everything else I have is standard.

              Comment

              • #22
                LGB Loader
                Senior Member
                • Jun 2008
                • 727

                I spray one shot over a batch of brass if I am doing the standard pistol straight wall brass just to make things a bit smoother. tried both ways and find it a little easier to reload on the progressives.

                Bottle neck brass or even straight walled rifle brass goes without saying.

                LGB
                Training in The Peaceful Art to achieve unnatural naturalness and natural unnaturalness, BEcoming WATER while serving The Great I AM.

                John 3:16

                Comment

                • #23
                  Craigwood
                  Member
                  • Sep 2010
                  • 265

                  Originally posted by LGB Loader
                  I spray one shot over a batch of brass if I am doing the standard pistol straight wall brass just to make things a bit smoother. tried both ways and find it a little easier to reload on the progressives.

                  Bottle neck brass or even straight walled rifle brass goes without saying.

                  LGB
                  It makes things go alot smoother. I do a shot of Hornady's Case Lube. Dispite they are Carbide. Just another thing of making sure things goes without a hitch.
                  "One Useless Man is a Shame. Two are a Law firm. Three or More are a Congress".

                  'John Adams'

                  Comment

                  • #24
                    zfields
                    CGN Contributor
                    • Aug 2010
                    • 13658

                    Op: looks like a deffective die set. I'm sure millions of rounds have been loaded on carbine sets without lube. If a little grit pops the ring, there is some serious issues with the bonding method used.
                    Sandstorm Custom Rifle Slings : Custom Paracord slings

                    10% off slings for calguns members. PM for details. Like us on facebook!

                    Comment

                    Working...
                    UA-8071174-1