Should I be seeing large coiled strings of brass tangled around the cutter head and cat fur balled into my vacuum hose?
Unconfigured Ad Widget
Collapse
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
Dillon trimmer question
Collapse
X
-
Dillon trimmer question
Tags: None -
Are you using a small shop vac? I was having that problem with my 1 gallon vac. I switched to a large one (25 gallon?) and the prob went away but now I have to put the vacuum on the other side of my garage door. YMMV. -
So the trimmer making coils of brass is normal? I was thinking it was a sign of a dull cutter blade. I have trimmed around 2500 rounds of .308 so far. Am I pulling the handle down to fast? I would prefer to see tiny little chips of brass. The coils are a pain in the tail pipe.Comment
-
Coils are normal because of the spinning trimming action. There can be chatter marks if you are trimming too quickly. When the blade stops cutting a flat edge then you can just rotate the blade. I have trimmed maybe 20,000 pieces and I am still on the first blade edge. I will take a photo of the vacuum's trimmings.Comment
-
I don't have a Dillon trimmer, so I can't comment on the specifics. However, if you're getting long pieces of brass rather than small chips, it just means the cutting blade doesn't have a good "chip breaker" on it. From the sounds of it, the blade probably just has a simple cutting edge rather than a complex cutting edge that you might see on a cutting tool for a lathe.
Now, if your vacuum hose has cat hair in it, you need to stop letting them help you reload. Plus, they're just going to track excess powder back into the house.
Comment
-
The only thing cats are good for is sighting in my pellet rifle. REEEEEYAAAWWWI don't have a Dillon trimmer, so I can't comment on the specifics. However, if you're getting long pieces of brass rather than small chips, it just means the cutting blade doesn't have a good "chip breaker" on it. From the sounds of it, the blade probably just has a simple cutting edge rather than a complex cutting edge that you might see on a cutting tool for a lathe.
Now, if your vacuum hose has cat hair in it, you need to stop letting them help you reload. Plus, they're just going to track excess powder back into the house.
Comment
-
I'm sure you got lots of strays in Long Beach, we have lots in Fontana too.Comment
Calguns.net Statistics
Collapse
Topics: 1,868,578
Posts: 25,149,428
Members: 358,862
Active Members: 5,889
Welcome to our newest member, 1776 Arms.
What's Going On
Collapse
There are currently 27478 users online. 54 members and 27424 guests.
Most users ever online was 239,041 at 10:39 PM on 02-14-2026.

Comment