Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

New Blue Reloader - Dillion XL 650

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • Mac Attack
    Senior Member
    • Apr 2008
    • 2127

    New Blue Reloader - Dillion XL 650

    Last weekend I was loading up some rounds on my well used RCBC Rockchucker with a RCBS Piggyback II progressive reloader when the powder arm sheared off and several parts went into a blackhole because I was not able to find them. I called RCBS and they said they would send me the missing parts but I needed to load some rounds for the coming weekend.

    Well after nearly 20 years of using my Rockchucker/Piggyback combo I finally realized it was time to invest some money in a modern reloader. I picked this blue thing up this morning and I am excited because the last time I purchased a reloader I was a kid in college. Now I am an old man but still am broke but I have a new reloader . I plan to buy the Dillion case feeder and some conversion kits and accessories soon. Anyways, I look forward to a lifetime of reloading on my new press.

    BTW, wouldn't you figure, I just received the replacement parts from RCBS in the mail. Looks like I have two working loaders now.
  • #2
    Chief-7700
    Veteran Member
    • May 2008
    • 3382

    Nice to see another XL-650. Two must have items the casefeeder and the spare parts kit.

    XL-650 to feed the: .45ACP's Les Baer Concept V, Ruger SR 1911, Ruger Nightwatchman,custom built Colt M1911, Springfield .45ACP Loaded.. 9MM SA Range Officer,Ruger P-85, Springfield Stainless 9MM loaded, SA 9MM 5.25" XDM, Springfield 9mm Stainless Range Officer, STI double stack .45ACP.
    IDPA A41750 Safety Officer
    NRA Certified RSO
    "Stay out of the deep end of the pool; correct the problem with your credit card, not your dremel!"

    Comment

    • #3
      CSACANNONEER
      CGN/CGSSA Contributor - Lifetime
      CGN Contributor - Lifetime
      • Dec 2006
      • 44094

      I called RCBS earlier this week too. I got some replacement parts for my RS5 in three days! They have great CS! Last year, they sent me some parts for my Ammo Master Progressive which they have not made in years.

      That said, congrats on the 650! I've been procrastinating about mounting mine. I think it'll get set up in the garage, next to the 550 but, I may just set it up in my living room instead.
      NRA Certified Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun and Metallic Cartridge Reloading Instructor
      California DOJ Certified Fingerprint Roller
      Ventura County approved CCW Instructor
      Utah CCW Instructor


      Offering low cost multi state CCW, private basic shooting and reloading classes for calgunners.

      sigpic
      CCW SAFE MEMBERSHIPS HERE

      KM6WLV

      Comment

      • #4
        Revoman
        Senior Member
        • Dec 2007
        • 2395

        It's still in the box?!?!?!?!?

        Get a move on man!!!!!!!

        We wanna see this set up and in action muey pronto!!!!

        Comment

        • #5
          RaymondMillbrae
          Veteran Member
          • Jun 2009
          • 2659

          Oh my goodness...that picture gave me flashbacks of when I first received my own XL650!

          Check out my video tutorial below. (Click on the RELOADING .223 VIDEO link below my signature).

          Have a great time!!

          In Christ: Raymond
          Some of my tutorials:

          RELOADING .223 VIDEO
          HOME MADE RECOIL SPRING TESTER
          SHORTENING THE LOP ON AN FN SLP SHOTGUN
          INSTALLING SIGHTS ONTO A REMMY 870P
          HORNADY 366 AUTO - INTRO OF PRESS & SLUG COMPONENTS (Part 1)
          HORNADY 366 AUTO - PROGRESSIVE RELOADING OF LYMAN SABOT SLUGS (Part 2)

          Comment

          • #6
            anyracoon
            Veteran Member
            • May 2006
            • 3704

            Might as well order the Strong Mount, Roller Handle, Bullet Tray, Tool Holder, Powder Check System, Spare Parts Kit, and the list keeps going. I had a PiggyBack way back when and stepped up to a 650 with a the bells & whistles. Never looked back. Enjoy!!

            Comment

            • #7
              cdrxls
              Member
              • Mar 2008
              • 369

              Way to Go! you're hooked on the Blue KoolAid,

              Dillon and RCBS Thumbs UP to excellent customer service!

              Comment

              • #8
                problemchild
                Banned
                • Oct 2005
                • 6959

                Originally posted by anyracoon
                Might as well order the Strong Mount, Roller Handle, Bullet Tray, Tool Holder, Powder Check System, Spare Parts Kit, and the list keeps going. I had a PiggyBack way back when and stepped up to a 650 with a the bells & whistles. Never looked back. Enjoy!!
                Add the power trimmer and swager if you want to save $$$$ and reload once fired military brass.

                Comment

                • #9
                  CSACANNONEER
                  CGN/CGSSA Contributor - Lifetime
                  CGN Contributor - Lifetime
                  • Dec 2006
                  • 44094

                  Originally posted by anyracoon
                  Might as well order the Strong Mount, Roller Handle, Bullet Tray, Tool Holder, Powder Check System, Spare Parts Kit, and the list keeps going. I had a PiggyBack way back when and stepped up to a 650 with a the bells & whistles. Never looked back. Enjoy!!
                  I'd agree with everything but the roller handle. I like the stock one better.
                  NRA Certified Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun and Metallic Cartridge Reloading Instructor
                  California DOJ Certified Fingerprint Roller
                  Ventura County approved CCW Instructor
                  Utah CCW Instructor


                  Offering low cost multi state CCW, private basic shooting and reloading classes for calgunners.

                  sigpic
                  CCW SAFE MEMBERSHIPS HERE

                  KM6WLV

                  Comment

                  • #10
                    Mac Attack
                    Senior Member
                    • Apr 2008
                    • 2127

                    Thanks guys I am really excited to get this together. Darn this thing has a lot of parts to it! I need to install the rotating primer disk and then a bunch of adjustments before I tackle any significant reloading. I am setting it up for .45 ACP after which I plan to switch it all out and load some 30-06 and .223.

                    Pictures to follow once I get it all set up.

                    Comment

                    • #11
                      anyracoon
                      Veteran Member
                      • May 2006
                      • 3704

                      PS Lots of extra primer tubes!

                      Comment

                      • #12
                        Spaceghost
                        Calguns Addict
                        • May 2006
                        • 5772

                        You could just buy another primer system making the switch from large primers to small primers a snap.

                        Originally posted by Mac Attack
                        Thanks guys I am really excited to get this together. Darn this thing has a lot of parts to it! I need to install the rotating primer disk and then a bunch of adjustments before I tackle any significant reloading. I am setting it up for .45 ACP after which I plan to switch it all out and load some 30-06 and .223.

                        Pictures to follow once I get it all set up.

                        Comment

                        • #13
                          RaymondMillbrae
                          Veteran Member
                          • Jun 2009
                          • 2659

                          Originally posted by Mac Attack
                          Thanks guys I am really excited to get this together. Darn this thing has a lot of parts to it! I need to install the rotating primer disk and then a bunch of adjustments before I tackle any significant reloading. I am setting it up for .45 ACP after which I plan to switch it all out and load some 30-06 and .223.
                          It just "looks" a bit overwhelming because it is all new to you.

                          Give it a little while, and everything will be second nature.

                          The fine tuning will take a little while, as there is always something that will need to tweeked down the road...but you will not know what that is until it actually needs tweeked.

                          Take your time, follow all the safety precautions, and all will be copacetic.

                          Have a good time, and reload safely.

                          Welcome to the Reloading Clan!

                          In Christ: Raymond
                          Some of my tutorials:

                          RELOADING .223 VIDEO
                          HOME MADE RECOIL SPRING TESTER
                          SHORTENING THE LOP ON AN FN SLP SHOTGUN
                          INSTALLING SIGHTS ONTO A REMMY 870P
                          HORNADY 366 AUTO - INTRO OF PRESS & SLUG COMPONENTS (Part 1)
                          HORNADY 366 AUTO - PROGRESSIVE RELOADING OF LYMAN SABOT SLUGS (Part 2)

                          Comment

                          • #14
                            Mac Attack
                            Senior Member
                            • Apr 2008
                            • 2127

                            Thanks guys for the congrats. I finally got everything dialed in and immediately realized something. I need the case feeder and more primer tubes!

                            Comment

                            • #15
                              ar15barrels
                              I need a LIFE!!
                              • Jan 2006
                              • 57178

                              Originally posted by Mac Attack
                              Thanks guys for the congrats. I finally got everything dialed in and immediately realized something. I need the case feeder and more primer tubes!
                              Yes.
                              If you can swing it, just get the primer machine though.
                              It's SO much nicer than having to fill primer tubes.

                              Randall Rausch

                              AR work: www.ar15barrels.com
                              Handguns: www.handgunbarrels.com
                              Bolt actions: www.700barrels.com
                              Foreign Semi Autos: www.akbarrels.com
                              Most work done while you wait on a scheduled shop visit.

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              UA-8071174-1