I was thinking of getting started reloading since I've taken a leap and bought an sks. Ive seen 7.62x39 ammo for $5(wolf) to $28(stuff at big 5) and was thinking that maybe I would be able to save myself some change by reloading. I was wondering if you needed a special press for reloading rifle rounds? Oh and while Im at it is there something special I need for shotgun rounds as well? Any help on suggestion a cheap begginers setup to get my feet wet.
Unconfigured Ad Widget
Collapse
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
Reloading suggestions
Collapse
X
-
It all depends on how much time you want to spend reloading. The more money you throw at reloading equipment. The less time you will spend per cartridge. The basic lee loader kits run under $35.00. If you plan on shooting more than 200 rounds a month I do not recommend them. Since I believe you should learn to walk before you can rum, I suggest starting with a quality single station press. You will learn more about the reloading process, with an investment of $300.00 or more and still be able to make a sufficient amount of ammo in a fair amount of time. If you plan on shooting thousands of rounds a month then you may want a progressive and double to triple your starting cost. Several gun shops are offering Introduction to reloading classes on Saturdays. Field time sports in Westminster is one that comes to mind. Where in O.C are you? I just started gave a few days off this week and plan to do some reloading I could show you the basics."Life is a long song" Jethro Tull -
Shotgun takes a completely different press than rifle/pistol. Rifle/Pistol can be done on the same press, you'll just need caliber specific dies.
You will also need several other tools, but, the good news is most companies that make reloading gear have "starter" or "beginner" kits that pretty much have everything minus, bullets, powder & primersComment
-
AFAIK readily available 7.62x39 ammo is steel cased and might also be Berdan primed so can't use regular large rifle primers -- it's suggested not to reload such cases. Your barrel probably (no expert myself) takes a .310 bullet for which there isn't as much selection as for say .308. For my own SKS the scope mount is so sloppy that the best I can do is put bullets on paper at 100 yards, and load development is wasted effort. All these things add up to additional reloading costs for this particular cartridge, so you won't be saving anything at all IMO.Comment
-
People only reload 7.62x39 if they are hunting with it. You cant not beat $199 a case of wolf. Hard to find brass cased boxer primed rounds and bullets are expensive.Comment
-
i reload it because i can't shoot ammo with a magnetic bullet(wolf) at my range, and because i dont like putting anything steel cased through my guns. also i just like to make my own ammo.
marcus if you can/don't mind shooting wolf go for it. it's cheap. you wont see much cost savings if you're loading jacketed bullets. my cast bullet loads are dirt cheap though
sigpicOriginally posted by Dr. ElkyIf your a man who wears white sunglasses, your probably a douche bagOriginally posted by CSACANNONEERI've been know to cross dress and go the other way at certain events.Comment
-
Reloading is not cheap unless you intend on large volume or over a long period of time.I was thinking of getting started reloading since I've taken a leap and bought an sks. Ive seen 7.62x39 ammo for $5(wolf) to $28(stuff at big 5) and was thinking that maybe I would be able to save myself some change by reloading. I was wondering if you needed a special press for reloading rifle rounds? Oh and while Im at it is there something special I need for shotgun rounds as well? Any help on suggestion a cheap begginers setup to get my feet wet.
For what you're looking at, you would be better off buying a couple of cases of ammo at around $200/1000 over buying a press and doing it yourself.
Here's a basic breakdown of my reloading setup, your's will vary.
Dillon 650 press - $550
Case feeder - $215
223 Carbide Die Set - $140
Then you will also need:
Tumber - $40 +/-
Media - $10
Media Seperator - $30
Case Lube - $10
Don't forget to either A) Build a bench or B) Buy one - $100 +/-
Then you need:
Bullets - $160/1000 +/- (You get better deals in bulk)
Powder - $126/8lbs(H355) or $122/8lbs(AA1680) -- These are common powders for 7.62x39 BTW
Primers - $35/1000 +/-
SIDE NOTE (in 8lbs of powder there are 56000 grains. 8lbs * 7000 grains). 7.62x39 using 125g bullets needs 26.2g of powder for each round. Which means you'll be able to load approximately 2000 7.62x39 cartrdiges with 1 8lb jug.
SO, if you just add up components, you're looking at: 320+126+35+300/2 = 390/1000 +/- and you still don't have the press.
Don't forget to add in about $50 for hazmat, shipping and insurance on your mail order purchase. Or spend more on the powder and primers + tax locally.
Now, this also assumes you have 1000 rounds of brass ready to go. If not, you'll spend about $150 or so assuming you can find 7.62x39 boxer brass.
So, I'd be willing to bet that case of wolf ammo is sounding pretty good about right now...NRA Life Member and Certified Instructor: Pistol - Rifle - Shotgun - PPITH - PPOTH - NRA Certified RSO
WTB the following - in San Diego
--Steyr M357A1 357SIG
--Five Seven IOM (round trigger guard)
Never forget - השואה... לעולם לא עוד.Comment
-
Actually comes to 1006. Divide that by 2 and it comes to 503/1000SO, if you just add up components, you're looking at:
Prices used from the following sources in ()
320 - Bullets (Weidners)
126 - 8lbs Powder (PowderValleyInc)
70 - 2000 primers (PowderValleyInc)
440 - 2000 brass (BrassManBrass)
50 - Hazmat/ship/ins (PowderValleyInc)
This also assumes you do not pay ANY additional fees for shipping the bullets or brass.
EDIT: Just got done talking to a buddy who loads 7.62x39. My prices on 1x brass were WAY off. If you can find 1x brass for 0.15/ea GRAB IT!!!! He told me the best deal going is on gunbroker IF you can find it at 0.20 - 0.25/each in lots of 1000.
OUCH!!! If I were reloading, I wouldn't waste my time on this round. IMHOLast edited by Corbin Dallas; 06-27-2010, 9:53 PM.NRA Life Member and Certified Instructor: Pistol - Rifle - Shotgun - PPITH - PPOTH - NRA Certified RSO
WTB the following - in San Diego
--Steyr M357A1 357SIG
--Five Seven IOM (round trigger guard)
Never forget - השואה... לעולם לא עוד.Comment
Calguns.net Statistics
Collapse
Topics: 1,868,906
Posts: 25,152,988
Members: 358,862
Active Members: 5,753
Welcome to our newest member, 1776 Arms.
What's Going On
Collapse
There are currently 32025 users online. 61 members and 31964 guests.
Most users ever online was 239,041 at 10:39 PM on 02-14-2026.

Comment