As I mentioned in a few other question threads, I've recently starting reloading for rifle after having done pistol for a while. I have a couple of questions about the parts that are different from pistol.
1)Does it matter whether brass is trimmed before or after sizing? I had assumed that it should be done after sizing, but I've read a few things where people do it before and there are specific case holders for the trimmer I ordered (L.E. Wilson) depending on whether you are trimming fired or sized cases. I have sized a bunch of .223 brass and will trim it once the order I placed arrives(hopefully tomorrow.) Does full-length sizing change the length at all or just diameter?
2)I set up my sizing die using a Lyman case gauge. I got it to the point where the average case head would be right between the min and max marks on that gauge. I found out that that gauge is apparently at the minimum tolerances for .223 as it wouldn't accept about 1/3 of the case rims I tried in it. I checked a few on a friend's Dillon gauge and every one dropped right in. I just received my own Dillon gauge tonight and tested a bunch of the brass that I had sized. In the Dillon, they are mostly at the minimum line with about 1/3 right in the middle. With the Lyman gauge they are mostly right in the middle with about 1/3 at max length.
Seems that the Dillon gauge I have matches what I was seeing with my friend's(also a Dillon). Given that I'm currently not making precision ammo, just plinking and 3gun fodder, going with the Dillon gauge is the better bet. Perhaps if I ever pick up a .223 bolt gun, using the tighter Lyman gauge might be better for those cases. Both my ARs are chambered in 5.56 which, as I understand it, is headspaced ever so slightly longer than .223.
Any thoughts on all that? I'm definitely interested learning all I can so I can get my setup dialed in with the least amount of fussing.
Thanks!
1)Does it matter whether brass is trimmed before or after sizing? I had assumed that it should be done after sizing, but I've read a few things where people do it before and there are specific case holders for the trimmer I ordered (L.E. Wilson) depending on whether you are trimming fired or sized cases. I have sized a bunch of .223 brass and will trim it once the order I placed arrives(hopefully tomorrow.) Does full-length sizing change the length at all or just diameter?
2)I set up my sizing die using a Lyman case gauge. I got it to the point where the average case head would be right between the min and max marks on that gauge. I found out that that gauge is apparently at the minimum tolerances for .223 as it wouldn't accept about 1/3 of the case rims I tried in it. I checked a few on a friend's Dillon gauge and every one dropped right in. I just received my own Dillon gauge tonight and tested a bunch of the brass that I had sized. In the Dillon, they are mostly at the minimum line with about 1/3 right in the middle. With the Lyman gauge they are mostly right in the middle with about 1/3 at max length.
Seems that the Dillon gauge I have matches what I was seeing with my friend's(also a Dillon). Given that I'm currently not making precision ammo, just plinking and 3gun fodder, going with the Dillon gauge is the better bet. Perhaps if I ever pick up a .223 bolt gun, using the tighter Lyman gauge might be better for those cases. Both my ARs are chambered in 5.56 which, as I understand it, is headspaced ever so slightly longer than .223.
Any thoughts on all that? I'm definitely interested learning all I can so I can get my setup dialed in with the least amount of fussing.
Thanks!

Comment