Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Holy Carp! I made Ammo!

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • #16
    RomanDad
    Veteran Member
    • Apr 2008
    • 3478

    Ok.... .223 officially sucks &$$.

    Im on a dillon 550. There is a LOT of "flop" in the shell casings. Getting all 4 into the right tube at the same time is a PITA! Is it supposed to be that sloppy or did I majorly screw the pooch somewhere?

    And yeah- Before anybody asks, I rechecked that I had the right shell plate and right buttons three or four times.... It just didnt seem like it could "right".
    Life is too short to drive a Ferrari...

    sigpic

    Comment

    • #17
      RomanDad
      Veteran Member
      • Apr 2008
      • 3478

      Originally posted by Antihero47
      357 Sig is a bottle necked cartridge no? Does it have an expander die to bell the case mouth? You would think it would be sort of like rifle ammo needing to decrease the case mouth diameter.
      Yep... 357 is bottle neck.... Bottle neck seems harder. I figured out, the SMALLER the bell the better.... Counter intuitive to me.... But you cant argue with results.

      .223 No good.... Next up is 308.
      Life is too short to drive a Ferrari...

      sigpic

      Comment

      • #18
        Chief-7700
        Veteran Member
        • May 2008
        • 3382

        Originally posted by RomanDad
        Ok.... .223 officially sucks &$$.

        Im on a dillon 550. There is a LOT of "flop" in the shell casings. Getting all 4 into the right tube at the same time is a PITA! Is it supposed to be that sloppy or did I majorly screw the pooch somewhere?

        And yeah- Before anybody asks, I rechecked that I had the right shell plate and right buttons three or four times.... It just didnt seem like it could "right".
        Tighten your shellplate down until it will not move then back the center bolt off 1/4 turn.
        Dillon RL-550B manual Page # 8 Fig. #10
        Last edited by Chief-7700; 06-12-2010, 6:56 PM. Reason: More information

        XL-650 to feed the: .45ACP's Les Baer Concept V, Ruger SR 1911, Ruger Nightwatchman,custom built Colt M1911, Springfield .45ACP Loaded.. 9MM SA Range Officer,Ruger P-85, Springfield Stainless 9MM loaded, SA 9MM 5.25" XDM, Springfield 9mm Stainless Range Officer, STI double stack .45ACP.
        IDPA A41750 Safety Officer
        NRA Certified RSO
        "Stay out of the deep end of the pool; correct the problem with your credit card, not your dremel!"

        Comment

        • #19
          joelogic
          Calguns Addict
          • May 2008
          • 6593

          Google...Dillon thrush bearing mod. It really helped me out. Just finished loading all the prepped .223 I had. Time to process brass again, argh.
          Micro/Mini Reflex Red Dot Sight Mount for the M1, M1a/M14 platform

          Comment

          • #20
            RomanDad
            Veteran Member
            • Apr 2008
            • 3478

            50 Rounds of .308.... This was the smoothest yet (although I did manage to eject a powdered case with no bullet in it.... )
            \

            So total count- 450 Rounds, 4 different calibers- 24 hours.
            BTW- Am I really out of shape, or is this an aerobic exercise?
            Last edited by RomanDad; 06-12-2010, 9:23 PM.
            Life is too short to drive a Ferrari...

            sigpic

            Comment

            • #21
              Antihero47
              Senior Member
              • Jan 2009
              • 1312

              Haha, what press you using?

              Comment

              • #22
                joelogic
                Calguns Addict
                • May 2008
                • 6593

                Ur out of shape...but my left arm does hurt from putting the bullet into the case...maybe I am out of shape too.
                Micro/Mini Reflex Red Dot Sight Mount for the M1, M1a/M14 platform

                Comment

                • #23
                  Joe
                  Calguns Addict
                  • Apr 2006
                  • 5730

                  Pics!

                  Comment

                  • #24
                    anyracoon
                    Veteran Member
                    • May 2006
                    • 3704

                    I think the Dillon thrush bearing mod is for the 650 only.

                    Comment

                    • #25
                      Regulus
                      Senior Member
                      CGN Contributor
                      • Aug 2008
                      • 1156

                      RD, I have some once fired .223 brass (200-250) if you want them.

                      I'm just across the street.

                      Comment

                      • #26
                        joelogic
                        Calguns Addict
                        • May 2008
                        • 6593

                        I will have to check out a 550 so I can get to know it, thanks.

                        Originally posted by anyracoon
                        I think the Dillon thrush bearing mod is for the 650 only.
                        Micro/Mini Reflex Red Dot Sight Mount for the M1, M1a/M14 platform

                        Comment

                        • #27
                          RomanDad
                          Veteran Member
                          • Apr 2008
                          • 3478

                          Originally posted by Regulus
                          RD, I have some once fired .223 brass (200-250) if you want them.
                          Hell yeah!

                          I'm just across the street.
                          Stalker!
                          Life is too short to drive a Ferrari...

                          sigpic

                          Comment

                          • #28
                            Californio
                            CGN/CGSSA Contributor - Lifetime
                            CGN Contributor - Lifetime
                            • Dec 2006
                            • 4169

                            Originally posted by RomanDad
                            Hell yeah!

                            Stalker!
                            Don't turn into USNChief and start loading 1000's and hoarding powder
                            "The California matrix of gun control laws is among the harshest in the nation and are filled with criminal law traps for people of common intelligence who desire to obey the law." - U.S. District Judge Roger T. Benitez

                            Comment

                            • #29
                              CSACANNONEER
                              CGN/CGSSA Contributor - Lifetime
                              CGN Contributor - Lifetime
                              • Dec 2006
                              • 44094

                              With Dillon presses, you use the powder die to slightly flair the top of the case while putting a powder charge into it. Since you said the .223 was not "belled", I'll assume that you just need to adjust your powder die a little.

                              Of the 4 calibers that you have mentioned, .357 sig is the hardest to load for. It is really a finicky round so, good luck at the range.
                              NRA Certified Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun and Metallic Cartridge Reloading Instructor
                              California DOJ Certified Fingerprint Roller
                              Ventura County approved CCW Instructor
                              Utah CCW Instructor


                              Offering low cost multi state CCW, private basic shooting and reloading classes for calgunners.

                              sigpic
                              CCW SAFE MEMBERSHIPS HERE

                              KM6WLV

                              Comment

                              • #30
                                RomanDad
                                Veteran Member
                                • Apr 2008
                                • 3478

                                Originally posted by CSACANNONEER
                                With Dillon presses, you use the powder die to slightly flair the top of the case while putting a powder charge into it. Since you said the .223 was not "belled", I'll assume that you just need to adjust your powder die a little.

                                Of the 4 calibers that you have mentioned, .357 sig is the hardest to load for. It is really a finicky round so, good luck at the range.
                                I dont see how the powder funnel for the .223 can bell the case at all.... its basically straight up and down.... Anyways.... I had a hell of a time with that one.
                                Life is too short to drive a Ferrari...

                                sigpic

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                UA-8071174-1