Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

New to Reloading! (.45 acp and 9mm) Tips?

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • ak4777
    Member
    • Nov 2009
    • 194

    New to Reloading! (.45 acp and 9mm) Tips?

    Hey guys, I decided to get into reloading after seeing all the outrageous .45 acp ammo prices.

    So I was lookin at the Lee Pro 1000, seems to come with a lot of stuff for a considerably cheaper. Now I know the quality may not all be there like with Dillon or RCBS, but the triple price isn't either. Looking to load some .45 brass, decided to go with W231 or IMR 700x for powder, Rainier FMJ RN 230 Gr for bullets. For primer, I guess CCI or Winchester.

    I'm in the Davis area, was wondering if anyone knew any good reloading places that sold lee stuff in the area. (Sacramento is good too). If not I'll order my stuff online, but I'm afraid if I have a problem with it, it will become 10 times more complicated if I can drive it to the store. Any suggestions? Anyone selling an old progressive they don't want? Thanks!
  • #2
    XDRoX
    Veteran Member
    • Mar 2009
    • 4420

    I wouldn't get that press.
    If you want to load 50 rounds an hour I'd get this:

    If you want to load 250 rounds an hour I'd get this:

    If you want to load 500 rounds an hour I'd get this:

    IMO these are the 3 best presses in their classes. You can't go wrong with any if these 3.

    If money is an issue then the LCT (choice #2 above) is about the best deal you can get. Great press and can load rounds fast for pretty cheap.

    Hope this helps.
    Chris
    <----Rimfire Addict


    Originally posted by Oceanbob
    Get a DILLON...

    Comment

    • #3
      Milsurp Collector
      Calguns Addict
      CGN Contributor
      • Jan 2009
      • 5884

      One tip: get carbide die sets like these




      With a carbide sizing die you won't have to lube the cases.
      Revolvers are not pistols

      pistol nouna handgun whose chamber is integral with the barrel
      Calling a revolver a "pistol" is like calling a magazine a "clip", calling a shotgun a rifle, or a calling a man a woman.

      ExitCalifornia.org

      Comment

      • #4
        C.W.M.V.
        Banned
        • Feb 2010
        • 4647

        I have also recently started loading my own.
        Everything I have is Lee, not because Im impressed with their quality but because they are cheap and their stuff works. I use their lead melter and 6 bullet cast for making my .45, and the 4 hole turret press for the reloading.

        I guess the only thing I would say is find a powder that works well in both calibers to start with, and get a variety of books (lee, lyman, hornaday, speer, etc...) on the subject.

        Comment

        • #5
          Corbin Dallas
          CGN/CGSSA Contributor - Lifetime
          CGN Contributor - Lifetime
          • May 2006
          • 6364

          Originally posted by ak4777
          Hey guys, I decided to get into reloading after seeing all the outrageous .45 acp ammo prices.

          So I was lookin at the Lee Pro 1000, seems to come with a lot of stuff for a considerably cheaper. Now I know the quality may not all be there like with Dillon or RCBS, but the triple price isn't either. Looking to load some .45 brass, decided to go with W231 or IMR 700x for powder, Rainier FMJ RN 230 Gr for bullets. For primer, I guess CCI or Winchester.

          I'm in the Davis area, was wondering if anyone knew any good reloading places that sold lee stuff in the area. (Sacramento is good too). If not I'll order my stuff online, but I'm afraid if I have a problem with it, it will become 10 times more complicated if I can drive it to the store. Any suggestions? Anyone selling an old progressive they don't want? Thanks!

          1 - Buy online or drive to Reno for primers & powder.

          2 - Find a used Dillon 550.

          3 - 45 and 9 run great on W231

          4 - GO SLOWLY

          5 - Primers - Wolf Large Pistol work great and are much less expensive
          NRA Life Member and Certified Instructor: Pistol - Rifle - Shotgun - PPITH - PPOTH - NRA Certified RSO

          WTB the following - in San Diego
          --Steyr M357A1 357SIG
          --Five Seven IOM (round trigger guard)

          Never forget - השואה... לעולם לא עוד.

          Comment

          • #6
            Southpaw45
            Senior Member
            • Sep 2008
            • 2333

            I have a Lee pro 1000 and find it a little tricky to adjust after a caliber change. The primer feed system is a pita so I don't even use it for priming any more. I hand prime everything I run through it. I would bite the bullet and get a Dillon 550. Let me make it clear that the Pro 1000 will run fine after all the adjustments are made but it takes some work to get it going
            Cowboy Action Shooter
            Midnight Black Powder Shooter
            S.A.S.S #74217
            Have Guns Will Travel
            .45 Colt Enthusiast
            ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

            Comment

            • #7
              Someoneelseok
              Member
              • Apr 2008
              • 245

              my $0.02...start small first.

              Get a reloading manual, Lyman's good.

              Try a Lee Breech Lock Challenger Kit, it's cheap single stage kit and gives you all the small stuff to get started. Learn how to reload. It also gives you a chance to see if reloading is truly your cup of tea.

              After you gained some reloading experience, you'll probably decide if you want to upgrade to a Dillon or Hornady Progressive and you'll know exactly what you need/want.

              Comment

              • #8
                PingPongBob
                Junior Member
                • Jun 2009
                • 71

                I'd go with this first. (To understand and decide if you want to continue to reload)


                If you decide you like reloading and are only reloading handgun calibers, I'd go with a dillon square deal b.

                As the others have said, buy reloading manuals. Lyman & Speer at least.

                Remember though, you're not really saving dollars by reloading, you're shooting way more.
                Last edited by PingPongBob; 05-17-2010, 6:19 PM.
                NRA Endowment Member
                CRPA Liftime Member

                Comment

                • #9
                  bootcamp
                  Senior Member
                  • Mar 2006
                  • 1019

                  Speer manual is elite to the Lyman manual. I have both.

                  I'm going to be blunt about this and I mean no offense. Buy the Lee if you are a broke cheapskate, otherwise, clench your fist, close your eyes and order a Dillon 550. It only hurts once but once you have it setup you won't regret it. Not because "it's the ish" but because you will have far less fewer problems than any other progressive press out there. You will spend more time reloading than fine tuning right out of the box.
                  Originally posted by ar15barrels
                  Lube helps whenever you are trying to get something into a tight hole.

                  Comment

                  • #10
                    bootcamp
                    Senior Member
                    • Mar 2006
                    • 1019

                    Speer manual is elite to the Lyman manual. I have both.

                    I'm going to be blunt about this and I mean no offense. Buy the Lee if you are a broke cheapskate, otherwise, clench your fist, close your eyes and order a Dillon 550. It only hurts once but once you have it setup you won't regret it. Not because "it's the ish" but because you will have far less fewer problems than any other progressive press out there. You will spend more time reloading than fine tuning right out of the box.
                    Originally posted by ar15barrels
                    Lube helps whenever you are trying to get something into a tight hole.

                    Comment

                    • #11
                      ak4777
                      Member
                      • Nov 2009
                      • 194

                      You really think Lee is really that bad? I mean I heard some good reviews about them...its still really hard even if you get separate turrets and such? I mean I wasn't looking to spend 800 for a press, or even 400. Its just too much. Well okay, whats the difference anyway? Whats so hard to set up about the Lee press? I seen some videos, it doesnt seem as hard as I thought...

                      Comment

                      • #12
                        ak4777
                        Member
                        • Nov 2009
                        • 194

                        What do you mean by adjustments, and how fine tuned do they have to be? I mean I don't mind some micrometer adjustments and all that. I also heard once you set all the dies in the appropriate turret, all you do is screw them in and such?

                        Comment

                        • #13
                          pisarski
                          Senior Member
                          • Aug 2009
                          • 740

                          i had a pro 1000 and it was fine you just need to keep the primer feed clean and it will work fine i have a lee single stage and use it all the time and have a load master that works great the lee stuff is fine a dillon is a nice press but lots of money

                          Comment

                          • #14
                            dstiltner
                            Member
                            • Sep 2009
                            • 241

                            Originally posted by Southpaw45
                            I have a Lee pro 1000 and find it a little tricky to adjust after a caliber change. The primer feed system is a pita so I don't even use it for priming any more. I hand prime everything I run through it. I would bite the bullet and get a Dillon 550. Let me make it clear that the Pro 1000 will run fine after all the adjustments are made but it takes some work to get it going
                            I have lee 1000s and hand prime for that reason and also so that I can load 9mm, ,38 Super, .40 S&W and 10mm all on the same press. I was fortune that my father-in-law gave me 3 lee 1000s and I bought a 4th used. I do not have to change the shell plate since 4 plates cover all of my calibers. I also bought enough turrets for all of my calibers. Granted it can be a PITA but I have saved a whole lot of money sticking with the lee 1000s.

                            Comment

                            • #15
                              cortayack
                              Senior Member
                              • Dec 2008
                              • 1758

                              Lee press works but theres better press on the market....I use a RCBS press(older model)but I got it free.....Lee dies are great and I have nothing but lee dies! You might want to look at Unique power for the 45 and 9mm. Its a good all-round powder that can go a long way...I use it to load .357mag, .38spc, 45acp....I also load mostly lead bullets and never had a problem with leading.....Primers are all the same to me! Never had a problem with any of them.....

                              Reloading doesn't have to be expensive to start. You can always upgrade later down the road....

                              Some other equipment to look for:
                              RCBS digital scale and dispenser is great and makes your powder measuring fast and eazy. optional?
                              Digital calipers are a most....
                              Bullet puller for those mistakes....

                              Good luck, be smart and safe!

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              UA-8071174-1