Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Newbie Reloading for .223

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • #46
    Syntax Error
    Veteran Member
    • Nov 2009
    • 3817

    Thanks for those pointers, SKSer...I didn't realize that it's pretty much impossible to double-charge .223. That certainly puts my mind to rest.

    Comment

    • #47
      Syntax Error
      Veteran Member
      • Nov 2009
      • 3817

      A quick question: the tumbler I ordered, a Frankford Arsenal Quick-n-EZ Tumbler, is shipped out to be delivered on Friday if all the planets are aligned.

      How many pieces of .223 brass could you reliably fit within the tumbler itself, and what kind of media do you guys use? I've asked friends about this and they seem to have good success with crushed walnut media, while others advocate corn cob. I guess my concern is: what cleans the "best" given the time allotted (a few hours)?

      Comment

      • #48
        Low-Pressure
        Senior Member
        • Sep 2009
        • 1758

        Originally posted by Syntax Error
        A quick question: the tumbler I ordered, a Frankford Arsenal Quick-n-EZ Tumbler, is shipped out to be delivered on Friday if all the planets are aligned.

        How many pieces of .223 brass could you reliably fit within the tumbler itself, and what kind of media do you guys use? I've asked friends about this and they seem to have good success with crushed walnut media, while others advocate corn cob. I guess my concern is: what cleans the "best" given the time allotted (a few hours)?
        I have the same tumbler with the separator, the tumblerseparator came with corn cob media with it. I purchased the walnut media with mine and haven't used the corn media yet. I've tumbled up to 300 on mine but I see better/faster results at around 250 or less.
        ...with liberty and justice for all. Void where prohibited, offer not valid everywhere, price may change. See Big Brother for details.
        Originally posted by zfields
        9mm might expand but .45 never shrinks!
        Originally posted by bwiese
        Constitutional rights are not dependent on your neighbors' opinions'.
        If you shop at Amazon.com please use the link below. A portion of your purchase goes to CGF.
        http://www.amazon.com/?_encoding=UTF...reative=390957

        Comment

        • #49
          Syntax Error
          Veteran Member
          • Nov 2009
          • 3817

          Originally posted by Low-Pressure
          I have the same tumbler with the separator, the tumblerseparator came with corn cob media with it. I purchased the walnut media with mine and haven't used the corn media yet. I've tumbled up to 300 on mine but I see better/faster results at around 250 or less.
          Alright, I'll try both and see where I lay with walnut media. What do you guys think about a mixture between walnut and corn cob media for good results?

          Thanks for the quick response.

          Comment

          • #50
            Texas Boy
            Senior Member
            • Sep 2008
            • 804

            Interesting that Low Pressure's came with corn cob. I have the same setup as well and mine came with Walnut. Guess they shipped what ever they had in stock at the time. BTW - I get about 250-300 per load too. I really don't count them, just pour the brass in until it looks about right and let it run until it looks about done. You will notice that the cleaning time goes up as the material ages. When it starts taking too long for your taste, replace the media. You can get crushed walnut or crushed corn cob at most pet supply places (bedding material).

            No harm in mixing. A quick google search will show there are a wide range of "recipes" out there for cleaning brass. Just make sure never to use anything with ammonia as it can make the brass brittle.

            BTW - SKSer's formula looks similar to what lots of the ultrasonic folks use. Interesting to note the same solution works without the ultrasonic - just takes longer. I'll have to try that sometime (besides, I keep threatening to buy an ultrasonic cleaner).

            So did you order the press/dies/powder measure/scale/etc yet?
            ...the right of the People to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed.

            Comment

            • #51
              Low-Pressure
              Senior Member
              • Sep 2009
              • 1758

              Originally posted by Texas Boy
              Interesting that Low Pressure's came with corn cob.
              I wish it came with walnut, but CTD listed it as corn cob, but I got it at a good price so I can't really complain.
              here's the link http://www.cheaperthandirt.com/43930-1.html
              ...with liberty and justice for all. Void where prohibited, offer not valid everywhere, price may change. See Big Brother for details.
              Originally posted by zfields
              9mm might expand but .45 never shrinks!
              Originally posted by bwiese
              Constitutional rights are not dependent on your neighbors' opinions'.
              If you shop at Amazon.com please use the link below. A portion of your purchase goes to CGF.
              http://www.amazon.com/?_encoding=UTF...reative=390957

              Comment

              • #52
                rockdogz
                Member
                • Oct 2009
                • 447

                I used my Dillon 550 to reload .223, and compared to pistol reloading it's a _lot_ of work! Lots of case prep time. Finally being able to shoot my reloads was satisfying though. I used Varget the first time around, but also have some Reloader 10x to try. It ended up costing me about $4.63 per box of 20 reloads, so I still have some progress I can make to bring the cost down since I bought relatively little powder/primers the first time around - buy in bulk always. It was my first time though so I'm satisfied for now...

                Comment

                • #53
                  Syntax Error
                  Veteran Member
                  • Nov 2009
                  • 3817

                  Originally posted by Texas Boy
                  So did you order the press/dies/powder measure/scale/etc yet?
                  Yes I did!

                  I ordered a Lee Classic 4-hole turret press, Lee .223 Pacesetter dies, Lee Auto Disk as well as a double-disk kit, and a digital scale, which hopefully should be accurate as I need it to be.

                  I'll keep you guys updated as to how it goes, but for now, all the stuff is in the mail as I anxiously wait for my stuff.

                  Comment

                  • #54
                    GW
                    I need a LIFE!!
                    • May 2004
                    • 16078

                    Good luck, then
                    Reloading can be fun so enjoy
                    sigpicNRA Benefactor Member

                    Comment

                    • #55
                      Syntax Error
                      Veteran Member
                      • Nov 2009
                      • 3817

                      A side question for any experienced .223 reloaders...what kind of brass do you like the best? I have a variety of brass, such as Lake City, FC, Prvi Partizan 5.56x45, PMC/Hot Shot, and a variety of other headstamps as well as "M193" headstamp stuff.

                      My objective is to reliably separate the 5.56x45 brass with those pieces of brass that are marked for .223 Remington pressures; I hope to start cranking out M193 clones, and I assume the brass that is marked as "M193" is of 5.56x45 NATO spec?

                      The PPU 5.56x45 as well as the LC brass with the NATO stamping (the cross and circle) I assume are also GTG for M193 clones? What are your guys experience with certain brands/makes of brass? Some research seems to yield near universal hatred towards FC .223 because of the brass around the flash hole being too thin.

                      Comment

                      • #56
                        Syntax Error
                        Veteran Member
                        • Nov 2009
                        • 3817

                        What length do you guys trim your .223 cases at? It appears that 1.750 inches seems to be the relative standard, and as long as it doesn't exceed 1.760 inches, it should be good to go. Am I correct in this assumption?

                        Source: http://www.gunnersden.com/index.htm.223remington.html

                        Comment

                        • #57
                          Low-Pressure
                          Senior Member
                          • Sep 2009
                          • 1758

                          Originally posted by Syntax Error
                          What length do you guys trim your .223 cases at? It appears that 1.750 inches seems to be the relative standard, and as long as it doesn't exceed 1.760 inches, it should be good to go. Am I correct in this assumption?

                          Source: http://www.gunnersden.com/index.htm.223remington.html
                          I set my calipers at 1.760, if the case doesn't slide through it, it gets trimmed. My Lee trimmer is set to trim at 1.750. All of my 1st time shot brass (which are all FC) are all below 1.760, but the other stuff I got from the range needs trimming.
                          ...with liberty and justice for all. Void where prohibited, offer not valid everywhere, price may change. See Big Brother for details.
                          Originally posted by zfields
                          9mm might expand but .45 never shrinks!
                          Originally posted by bwiese
                          Constitutional rights are not dependent on your neighbors' opinions'.
                          If you shop at Amazon.com please use the link below. A portion of your purchase goes to CGF.
                          http://www.amazon.com/?_encoding=UTF...reative=390957

                          Comment

                          • #58
                            Syntax Error
                            Veteran Member
                            • Nov 2009
                            • 3817

                            Alright, I got most of my reloading setup, and save for a few bits or pieces, I'm able to create new loaded ammunition!

                            Here's my process, please critique and let me know where I can make the process less tedious or more efficient.

                            Case prep:
                            1. Tumble brass according to headstamp, I'm dealing with my LC, "M193 08", PMC/Hot Shot brass first.
                            2. Take out brass from tumbler. (I don't have a rotary media separator; would those eliminate the need to shake each piece of brass for media or is does it generally take brass out from media save for a few chunks of media?)
                            3. Lube brass cases for resizing.
                            4. Resize brass cases/decap primer.
                            5. Check case lengths with caliper; any .223 over 1.76" gets tossed in the "to trim" pile. Any cases under 1.76" gets chamfered/deburred. I use a Lee Lock Stud in a drill for cases that need to be trimmed so I can trim quickly. I also chamfer/deburr trimmed cases so they're ready to go.
                            6. Tumble brass again briefly to give it a better polish as well as remove residual case lubricant.
                            7. Prime brass with Lee Auto Prime hand priming tool.
                            8. Brass is now ready to load.

                            Reloading
                            1. Charge primed brass; dump powder on a scale every few rounds or so (every round for the first five or so to make sure the Lee Auto Disk Pro is working correctly). Check to see if the powder charge is at 24gr of H335 powder.
                            2. Seat bullet
                            3. Crimp case neck.
                            4. Weigh cartridge to look for significant deviations (i.e., in the form of powder), though I'm not sure how useful this step may since brass casings can vary greatly.
                            5. Put cartridges on strippers for storage.

                            This process has been working for me to produce a good amount of rounds (case prep is the longest part of reloading by far). I'm using walnut as tumbling media, and it's not giving me as great of a shine as I'd like, but the cases are pretty clean. I ought to get myself some corn media as well since it seems to be pretty good for tumbling.

                            I'm tumbling prepped brass cases before priming since I'm afraid there might be stuck media in the flash hole after primed cases, which could result in a misfire. Am I correct in doing this, or are there people who tumble primed prepped brass as to avoid having to swage the primer pocket for media?

                            Thanks!

                            Comment

                            • #59
                              Low-Pressure
                              Senior Member
                              • Sep 2009
                              • 1758

                              Congrats on your 1st batch.
                              Case prep:
                              1. I tend to separate my own rounds from the ones picked up from the range.
                              2. Get the media separator/bucket, makes life a whole lot easier. 10 spins and the media and brass are separated.
                              5. If the brass didn't get trimmed, it doesn't need to be deburred. Only do the newly trimmed brass
                              Reloading:
                              1. I check every 10th round. Before seating the bullet I use a flashlight and check the powder height and make sure they are same in the cases (while in the tray).
                              2. Check oal length with calipers
                              4. I don't do this, #1 eliminates this process for me

                              Are you using any polish with your media? If you do not have any polish you can buy Nu Finish (orange bottle) for cars. Use 1-2 caps with the media. Run the media with it for 5 minutes then add the brass. Too little/to much brass will take longer to process. On the second tumbling of brass, I only tumble for 30 minutes (make sure lubes are gone).
                              Do not tumble primed brass. Remove crimps/swage and clean the primer pockets at the same time you are trimming. Check primier pockets before priming, making sure there are no stuck media.
                              Good Luck
                              Last edited by Low-Pressure; 04-11-2010, 3:47 AM.
                              ...with liberty and justice for all. Void where prohibited, offer not valid everywhere, price may change. See Big Brother for details.
                              Originally posted by zfields
                              9mm might expand but .45 never shrinks!
                              Originally posted by bwiese
                              Constitutional rights are not dependent on your neighbors' opinions'.
                              If you shop at Amazon.com please use the link below. A portion of your purchase goes to CGF.
                              http://www.amazon.com/?_encoding=UTF...reative=390957

                              Comment

                              • #60
                                Koolpsych
                                Member
                                • Nov 2009
                                • 209

                                This thread is inspiring! I hope to get into reloading soon and thanks Syntax Error, I think I may copy your reloading setup!

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                UA-8071174-1