Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Setting off a primer

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • #31
    Ross
    Senior Member
    • Apr 2009
    • 1283

    Originally posted by Maltese Falcon
    Not the same situation, But I had some old primers given to me by someone who cleaned out their garage. I took one and whacked it with a hammer on the concrete to see if they were still good. Loud enough for me to skedaddle and lock up the garage quickly. For sure use eye protection...

    .
    I envisioned "Dale" from King of Hill when I read this.

    "I didn't do it Hank, honest."
    sigpicand as a check against tyranny." Judge Benitez - March 2019

    Comment

    • #32
      Twinspool
      Member
      • Nov 2007
      • 279

      Originally posted by Voo
      you need the material to spark..like a match.
      Wrong, no spark is needed for initiation. Primers are filled with small explosive charges that are 'tuned' for sensitivity. Some energetics like mercury fulminate or peroxide salts are extremely sensitive. Something like C4 can be lit with a match and it will simply burn.

      Comment

      • #33
        Acorn556
        Senior Member
        • May 2009
        • 2107

        So when the primer goes off is it going to start a chain reaction of the rest of the primers going off? Will it ignite the poweder and make a bigger boom?

        Comment

        • #34
          Bobshouse
          Senior Member
          • Oct 2005
          • 516

          Had a friend tell me about the time he was watching tv while priming .357 cases with a Lee hand prime...set off the entire tray, said he had primers embedded in his ceiling...lol Sorry, I know its not funny, but I can imagine the nightmare....

          Comment

          • #35
            CSACANNONEER
            CGN/CGSSA Contributor - Lifetime
            CGN Contributor - Lifetime
            • Dec 2006
            • 44094

            Originally posted by Acorn556
            So when the primer goes off is it going to start a chain reaction of the rest of the primers going off? Will it ignite the poweder and make a bigger boom?
            It's possible but, it doesn't always happen. I haven't ever heard of powder going off as well though. Also, smokeless powder will not go boom unless it is contained. It could go whoooosh and blow the top off your powder measure though.
            NRA Certified Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun and Metallic Cartridge Reloading Instructor
            California DOJ Certified Fingerprint Roller
            Ventura County approved CCW Instructor
            Utah CCW Instructor


            Offering low cost multi state CCW, private basic shooting and reloading classes for calgunners.

            sigpic
            CCW SAFE MEMBERSHIPS HERE

            KM6WLV

            Comment

            • #36
              Acorn556
              Senior Member
              • May 2009
              • 2107

              Thanks CSA. So this usually happens when you seat the primer and it just makes a loud BANG?

              Comment

              • #37
                mstlaurent
                Senior Member
                • Mar 2007
                • 1408

                Freakshow set off a whole tube of primers setting the depth on a 1050 last November:



                He wasn't hurt, but the press took a beating. Maybe if you ask him nicely he'll post the pictures again.
                I've never seen an American flag burned at a gun show.

                Comment

                • #38
                  gunslinger168
                  Junior Member
                  • Jan 2010
                  • 73

                  so after reloading pistol ammo for 30 years and thousands of rounds, a primer went off on me today. it was a small pistol primer made by HMF? white box with green and red lettering. saids "heavy metal free" "non-corrosive primers". bought them at prado shooting range. was using a RCBS handheld loader. luckily it didn't start a chain reaction. i couldn't find the spent primer after it exploded. it was pretty loud. think i'll stick to the name brands from now on like CCI, Feds, Remington, and Winchester.

                  Comment

                  • #39
                    Chris M
                    Senior Member
                    • Jan 2007
                    • 1771

                    I had a primer go off during my first reloading session. I was using my fathers Lee reloading kit - the kind that you have to use a mallet for just about every step. Of course, I wasn't paying attention, and there must have been a piece of corncob media stuck in the primer pocket, and when I went to seat the primer - BANG! It was very loud, but no harm done.

                    Comment

                    • #40
                      jwest
                      Veteran Member
                      • Dec 2008
                      • 3958

                      To the OP - primers are the most dangerous part of reloading - use the proper precautions - like always wear eye protection, and you'll be OK.

                      Treat primers with respect, and they'll respect you. Never be distracted while doing primer work - and you'll be OK.

                      Read at least two of the reloading manuals on primer handling and primer instructions, follow the manuals to a 'T' - and you'll be fine.
                      sigpic
                      "They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety." --- Benjamin Franklin
                      Freedom isn't free. Read the Declaration of Independence everyday - it'll keep the New World Order away.
                      Quote: Army: "Your ignorant liberal puke rhetoric is tiresome."
                      We live in a society of extreme behavior with no electronic self control.

                      Comment

                      Working...
                      UA-8071174-1