Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

30 Carbine load data

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • guasti61
    Junior Member
    • May 2009
    • 65

    30 Carbine load data

    Hello, I need some help loading 115g rn lead bullet with H110 powder in a 30 Carbine...Thanks for any help
  • #2
    bohoki
    I need a LIFE!!
    • Jan 2006
    • 20826

    you probably wont blow your gun up if you start at about 11 grains and if it wont cycle increase it a half grain till it does up to 13

    make sure you trim and chamfer your brass

    Comment

    • #3
      guasti61
      Junior Member
      • May 2009
      • 65

      Thanks for the info. Does this also apply to a Ruger revolver ?

      Comment

      • #4
        MG34
        Member
        • Jan 2006
        • 239

        OK to shoot in a hand gun, NOT in a 30 Carbine rifle.
        sigpicBig Sandy Shooter

        Comment

        • #5
          cfm117
          Member
          • Nov 2008
          • 487

          Careful with the lead, dont want your fps to high. I use plated for .30 Car. Also watch case length, as M1 headspaces off the case since its straightwall. If its too long it wont go into battery


          "Every gun makes it's own tune." - Blondie

          Comment

          • #6
            bohoki
            I need a LIFE!!
            • Jan 2006
            • 20826

            Originally posted by guasti61
            Thanks for the info. Does this also apply to a Ruger revolver ?
            oh a revolver is great you can be really stingy with the powder

            i don't like pushing cast to the max

            Comment

            • #7
              WileyWilly
              Senior Member
              • May 2008
              • 526

              I think that what MG34 was saying is that you should not use lead in the .30 carbine. It will plug the gas port. See this thread:

              WW

              Comment

              • #8
                gunboat
                Veteran Member
                • Apr 2008
                • 3288

                I disagree --moderate lead loads are fine in the carbine, at least in mine for the last 40 years.

                Comment

                • #9
                  WileyWilly
                  Senior Member
                  • May 2008
                  • 526

                  The OP made no indication of how hot the load was going to be, nor to the hardness of the lead or if he was going to use a gas check. I prefer to err on the side of caution when giving advice.
                  As in all things, YMMV.

                  Comment

                  • #10
                    gunboat
                    Veteran Member
                    • Apr 2008
                    • 3288

                    OK, fair enough -- I have used 311410 130gr plain base, 311316 115gr gas check, and 311359 115gr gas check cast bullets. All cast from wheel weights. Some water hardened, some not. Various loadings, but all moderate, and have never had a problem with leading the gas port -- my ha-penny

                    Comment

                    • #11
                      USGI
                      Junior Member
                      • Dec 2009
                      • 87

                      I'm getting ready to load some rounds for an M1 Carbine. I've got some FMJ 110 grain bullets and also 110 grain "X-Treme" copper plated ones. I'm planning to start with 14.0 or maybe 14.5 grains of H-110 with the FMJ bullets - should this be reduced for the plated bullets? I read somewhere that you need to hold the velocity down some with the plated bullets. What do you guys think?

                      Comment

                      • #12
                        rjf
                        Senior Member
                        • Oct 2006
                        • 649

                        I have run berrys 115g plated at 15g H110 with no problems.

                        Comment

                        • #13
                          USGI
                          Junior Member
                          • Dec 2009
                          • 87

                          Originally posted by rjf
                          I have run berrys 115g plated at 15g H110 with no problems.
                          Thanks! I'm going to start out with 14.5g on the first box and see how they work. Some references say to keep the velocity down a bit on plated bullets to prevent the copper from coming off. I don't want pieces of the plating down in the gas port. I've never reloaded any straight rimless cases before, and it seems like you'd be better off keeping the case length closer to the maximum rather than minimum. At minimum, wouldn't the actual headspace be increased? Or, should you just trim to the minimum length and figure if the headspace on the carbine is OK, then you're good to go?

                          Bob

                          Comment

                          Working...
                          UA-8071174-1