Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

.308 Brass

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • Joe226
    Member
    • Jan 2010
    • 210

    .308 Brass

    I am interested in starting to reload .308 ammo and was wondering about Federal Gold Medal Match brass. I have heard that it is only good for about 3 or 4 reloads and then the primer pockets start to loosen up. Is this true? Also how much is once fired Federal Gold Medal Match brass worth per 100 pieces?
  • #2
    10fcp
    Member
    • May 2008
    • 218

    I would say yes. I've only loaded it a couple times and then went to Rem and Win. Fed brass is also thicker, I hit PSI a bit sooner than with my other brass. Price I'm not sure about but chch around for some Win or Rem. I've got 15 loads now out of some of it. I don't load real hot as most my shooting is at 200 to 100yds.

    Comment

    • #3
      Jonathan Doe

      I've had 6-7 loads so far and no problem, especially in my bolt guns.

      Comment

      • #4
        jimmyleost
        Member
        • Jul 2009
        • 130

        I too am interested in this.

        Comment

        • #5
          swerv512
          Veteran Member
          • Mar 2006
          • 3076

          i've gotten over 10 reloads with R-P brass. dont see why federal would be much different. in fact, the few pieces of one fired federal brass i have weight a bit more than the R-P i shoot. if you size it correctly, it will last a long time- given you're not trying to reach mars with your bullets.

          Comment

          • #6
            popeye4
            Senior Member
            • Nov 2008
            • 1534

            Federal brass has a reputation for being a bit soft, even if it is high quality. You can "stretch" the case life (yes, that horrible pun was indeed intentional) by not loading to the max.

            What are you shooting it in? If you're shooting in an M14, you won't get much more than 4 total loads with anything....
            sigpic
            NRA Life Member
            CRPA Life Member

            Comment

            • #7
              wildcard
              Veteran Member
              • Aug 2006
              • 4925

              I used to use FGMM brass exclusively and got 10 reloadings with no failures. I did toss them after 10 just as a precaution though This assumes that you don't load them hot. I simply duplicated the FGMM specs w/ IMR 4064.

              Comment

              • #8
                Hoop
                Ready fo HILLARY!!
                • Apr 2007
                • 11544

                Federal brass gave me 3-4 before I start to find ones with loose primer pockets. Not loading to max either. This is out of an AR though not a bolt gun. Also I have a hell of a time trimming the FC brass back down to size (it grows by a lot).

                Comment

                • #9
                  Joe226
                  Member
                  • Jan 2010
                  • 210

                  I would be shooting a Rem 700 at mainly 100 yards.

                  Comment

                  • #10
                    LGB Loader
                    Senior Member
                    • Jun 2008
                    • 727

                    As stated above, as long as you aren't shooting a brass eater and keep it mellow and adjust your sizer die correctly (not overworking your brass) you can extend case a bit longer.

                    LGB
                    Training in The Peaceful Art to achieve unnatural naturalness and natural unnaturalness, BEcoming WATER while serving The Great I AM.

                    John 3:16

                    Comment

                    • #11
                      cleanguy46
                      Senior Member
                      • Mar 2008
                      • 1050

                      This is great info because i am starting to reload .308. I just purchased a Remmy 700 SPS Tactical and cant wait to get it and send some down range. I have been collecting casings for a bit now ( LC, IMI, Federal, Win and RP ) and have enough to see the end results.
                      sigpicWango Tango!

                      Comment

                      • #12
                        Rommel
                        Member
                        • Dec 2007
                        • 199

                        I have a bunch of Fed GMM brass that I will be reloading for my AR-308. How many reloads could I expect to get from them and how many could I expect from Winchester .308 brass? TIA!

                        Comment

                        • #13
                          jimbo1747
                          Member
                          • Mar 2008
                          • 325

                          Don't know about the GMM stuff, but I've reloaded Fed's American Eagle brass 5 times now without a problem. They all went thru a M1A, so I full-length sized and trimmed them. But they were pretty moderate loads (44 grns. of RE-15 pushing a 150 grn. bullet with Wolf primers).

                          Comment

                          • #14
                            Gunsrruss
                            Senior Member
                            • Jan 2006
                            • 1488

                            Accuracy

                            To help your accuracy segregate your brass by maker so the weight is about the same. I never scale my brass I just make sure I load them by lots whenever I can.
                            I won't be wronged
                            I won't be insulted
                            And I won't be laid a hand on.
                            I don't do these things to other people, and I require the same from them.....John Wayne

                            Comment

                            • #15
                              five.five-six
                              CGN Contributor
                              • May 2006
                              • 34928

                              I shoot an AR10, I am thinking lake

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              UA-8071174-1