Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Weird case shape

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • Bedlam
    Member
    • Jan 2010
    • 126

    Weird case shape

    I have had these federal Hydra-Shock for a while I was just downloading my magazines because I am shooting a pistol match tomorrow and will be shooting cheap reloads rather then good defensive ammo. I noticed a few bullets that had deformation as seen in the picture I was wondering if any of you have seen this before and your thoughts on it and if you would still fire them

  • #2
    buffybuster
    Veteran Member
    • Oct 2005
    • 2615

    It's a type of crimp to preclude bullet setback.
    Luck favors the prepared.

    The original battle plan did not survive initial contact with the enemy.

    "The things that will destroy America are prosperity at any price, peace at any price, safety first instead of duty first, the love of soft living and the get rich quick theory of life." -Theodore Roosevelt

    Comment

    • #3
      Bedlam
      Member
      • Jan 2010
      • 126

      there are only 4-5 out of say 40 bullets that are like this so I am pretty sure this wasnt done by the factory.

      Comment

      • #4
        Cokebottle
        Seņor Member
        CGN Contributor - Lifetime
        • Oct 2009
        • 32373

        Measure the OAL.

        One thing to keep in mind is that when the round is slammed into the chamber during loading, it is subjected to some force. This can push the bullet back.

        It's not normally an issue for a HD gun that isn't used often, but if a magazine or magazines are repeatedly loaded, chambered, then unloaded and the round reinserted into the top of the mag, it can become a problem over repeated reloads. This is a major concern for cops who are regularly unloading their service weapon.

        Any time I unload my HD ammo for a trip to the range, I completely dump the mag and cycle the un-chambered round to the bottom of the mag, so on each of 10 cycles, I'm loading a fresh round into the chamber.

        If the OAL on those rounds is quite a bit shorter than those that are not distorted (or preferably compared to a factory round that has never been chambered), then you could have a situation where you have an overpressure situation on firing.
        - Rich

        Originally posted by dantodd
        A just government will not be overthrown by force or violence because the people have no incentive to overthrow a just government. If a small minority of people attempt such an insurrection to grab power and enslave the people, the RKBA of the whole is our insurance against their success.

        Comment

        • #5
          J-cat
          Calguns Addict
          • May 2005
          • 6626

          Originally posted by Bedlam
          there are only 4-5 out of say 40 bullets that are like this so I am pretty sure this wasnt done by the factory.
          I'm pretty sure it was. Just because only some of these exhibit this feature does not mean it was home made.

          I have pulled factory ammo apart to see only some of the rounds having sealant in the neck. Some rounds had noticeably less powder than others. I once pulled apart some Federal Gold Medal 230gr 45 ACP to find some had just 2.5 grains of powder while most had five.

          Factory ammo isn't the perfection everyone thinks it is.

          Comment

          • #6
            FieldsofFire
            Senior Member
            • Dec 2008
            • 1879

            If I'm seeing the picture right, some of my HST's looked the same way after sitting in the mags for a while and being chambered/cleared a handful of times. They certainly didn't look that way from the factory where the crimp line was so visible. I haven't measured the OAL's yet but I plan on firing them soon to cycle them out. Probably doesn't help much but that's what I observed on some of my rounds too.

            Comment

            • #7
              J-cat
              Calguns Addict
              • May 2005
              • 6626

              So what do you think is causing the line? Because you are insinuating that the gun is causing it. How?

              Comment

              • #8
                CSACANNONEER
                CGN/CGSSA Contributor - Lifetime
                CGN Contributor - Lifetime
                • Dec 2006
                • 44094

                Originally posted by Bedlam
                there are only 4-5 out of say 40 bullets that are like this so I am pretty sure this wasnt done by the factory.
                It was done at the factory.
                NRA Certified Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun and Metallic Cartridge Reloading Instructor
                California DOJ Certified Fingerprint Roller
                Ventura County approved CCW Instructor
                Utah CCW Instructor


                Offering low cost multi state CCW, private basic shooting and reloading classes for calgunners.

                sigpic
                CCW SAFE MEMBERSHIPS HERE

                KM6WLV

                Comment

                • #9
                  Cokebottle
                  Seņor Member
                  CGN Contributor - Lifetime
                  • Oct 2009
                  • 32373

                  Originally posted by J-cat
                  So what do you think is causing the line? Because you are insinuating that the gun is causing it. How?
                  Field strip your upper and try to manually insert a round into the chamber.

                  It (probably) won't just slide in like a revolver.
                  The bolt is slamming it in... and it's impacting the feed ramp. There's nothing wrong with the gun, it's doing what it was designed to do.
                  It's the ammo that wasn't designed to be chambered and unloaded repeatedly.
                  - Rich

                  Originally posted by dantodd
                  A just government will not be overthrown by force or violence because the people have no incentive to overthrow a just government. If a small minority of people attempt such an insurrection to grab power and enslave the people, the RKBA of the whole is our insurance against their success.

                  Comment

                  • #10
                    ojisan
                    Agent 86
                    CGN Contributor
                    • Apr 2008
                    • 11782

                    The crimp or cannelure you are seeing is just below the base of the bullet.
                    It was put in there by the factory to help prevent bullet set-back from chambering or repeated chambering.
                    Usually, this is only seen in LE or premium self defense loads.
                    Adding this cannelure adds another manufacturing step to what is other wise a complete and ready to sell round of ammunition.
                    It is a good thing.

                    I remember that back in the day a tool was sold so you could do this at home to your reloads.

                    Originally posted by Citadelgrad87
                    I don't really care, I just like to argue.

                    Comment

                    • #11
                      Black_Talon
                      Senior Member
                      • Oct 2005
                      • 2281

                      Originally posted by ojisan

                      I remember that back in the day a tool was sold so you could do this at home to your reloads.
                      Still is:

                      Explore Corbin's range of commercial bullet swaging equipment, meticulously designed for precision and durability. Elevate your ammo production now!
                      sigpic

                      When seconds count, the police are only minutes away.

                      Comment

                      • #12
                        FieldsofFire
                        Senior Member
                        • Dec 2008
                        • 1879

                        I didn't know some manufacturers did that to LE-grade/premium personal protection ammo. I just don't remember seeing them at all when the rounds were new. And even now when I look at them, about half of them don't seem to have it that prominently (I'm talking the really noticeable look like in the OP's picture). But as with any manufacturing process, that can happen. I guess I stand corrected on my previous post. I have some new HST's that I'll take a look at but they're not around me right now, I'll take a peek later to compare them with the ones that were sitting in my guns for a while.

                        Comment

                        • #13
                          J-cat
                          Calguns Addict
                          • May 2005
                          • 6626

                          Originally posted by Cokebottle
                          Field strip your upper and try to manually insert a round into the chamber.

                          It (probably) won't just slide in like a revolver.
                          The bolt is slamming it in... and it's impacting the feed ramp. There's nothing wrong with the gun, it's doing what it was designed to do.
                          It's the ammo that wasn't designed to be chambered and unloaded repeatedly.
                          That impact mark usually appears as a semi circle smiley shape. Maybe we need a better macro shot.

                          Comment

                          • #14
                            Cokebottle
                            Seņor Member
                            CGN Contributor - Lifetime
                            • Oct 2009
                            • 32373

                            Originally posted by J-cat
                            That impact mark usually appears as a semi circle smiley shape. Maybe we need a better macro shot.
                            That's why I recommended measuring the OAL and comparing it to a virgin round.

                            Proper OAL = Factory feature.
                            Short OAL, possible issue (whether the groove is factory or not)
                            - Rich

                            Originally posted by dantodd
                            A just government will not be overthrown by force or violence because the people have no incentive to overthrow a just government. If a small minority of people attempt such an insurrection to grab power and enslave the people, the RKBA of the whole is our insurance against their success.

                            Comment

                            • #15
                              diginit
                              Veteran Member
                              • Feb 2008
                              • 3250

                              Looks like #3 is a little shorter and does look like it has been cycled a few times. If this a 45acp, it is a low pressure round. Unless they are +P loads, Or really short, Don't worry about it. Just use them for target loads.

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              UA-8071174-1