Anyone with experience with Hornady lnl press? I was getting an RCBS single stage but the Hornady setup looks nice. I don't want to get into buyers remorse syndrome so im doing "homework". Thanks
Unconfigured Ad Widget
Collapse
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
Which one?
Collapse
X
-
This is my experience with the LNL and lots of comments and suggestions. It took a bit of trial and error to master after a single stage press, but I like it now. -
Thanks PowayBob. I'm new to this but with a lot of questions and advise I believe good things can happen. It looks like Hornady now. A few people have said a single stage is good to start on but already know a progressive is in the cards so why not start with one. When I get home tonite gonna read that whole post. Later.Comment
-
You know, everyone who hasn't reloaded thinks that they should just move straight to a progressive. And almost everyone on here who went with a progressive first says, "Get a single-stage first." The ability to learn from other's mistakes is a very important life skill.Thanks PowayBob. I'm new to this but with a lot of questions and advise I believe good things can happen. It looks like Hornady now. A few people have said a single stage is good to start on but already know a progressive is in the cards so why not start with one. When I get home tonite gonna read that whole post. Later.
I'll also say this: I went with a progressive first, and I'm currently saving my pennies to buy a single-stage to supplement it. There are a lot of odd tasks, like removing stuck cases, swaging primer pockets, resizing lead bullets, etc, that are either impossible to do on a progressive or much easier to do on a single-stage. So even if you go straight to a progressive, if you stick with it the odds are that you will be buying a single stage in the future anyway.
My advice is that you should buy the Hornady single-stage kit, because that gets you most of the tools you need at a good discount, and then when you're comfortable loading on the single-stage you buy the LNL progressive.I've never seen an American flag burned at a gun show.Comment
-
I do agree with mstlaurent that a single stage is the place to start. You get a chance to learn the importance of each step, and the problems and tricks at each point along the way. You learn the importance of checking your work especially putting powder in the cases- you lean to both measure precisely, set up the powder dispenser properly, and ensure that each case has a charge.
Powder management is perhaps the biggest problem I have had with the progressive. While trying to adjust something it has caused me to either advance a round with no powder or end up with a double charge. I have now taught myself to check the charge level of each case after I have made an adjustment on the press.
The second problem with the progressive is priming the cases. I still get a few cases that get through unprimed. With a single stage you prime each case manually in a separate stage.
With a single stage you will get better quality more quickly at the expense of speed. But from a satisfaction and safety point of view, learning and getting confident with your product is best done using the single stage.Comment
-
Fraz;
Read his first...
It is a little bit dated as Hornady has modified the press and case "ejection" problems have been fixed. All new LNL are modified with the new case ejection system.
Also, I sent you e-mail.Last edited by Waldog; 02-02-2010, 11:14 PM.Comment
-
Waldog beat me with the link, but here's one that works. I found that while doing my research before discovering Calguns and that comparo plus the 1000 free bullets are why I went with Hornady. My thoughts at the time and I still feel the same way is get the progressive, and run it with only one shell at a time, i.e. single stage, until you have it figured out. I made lots of practice bullets without powder to get used to setting the dies, I drop about 10 loads of powder on the scale to ensure it's feeding correctly...I take my time and enjoy it.
Now that I'm getting ready to do rifle, I'll pick up somebody's used single stage from the want ads!"Everything I ever learned about leadership, I learned from a Chief Petty Officer." - John McCain
"Use your hammer, not your mouth, jackass!" - Mike Ditka
There has never been a shortage of people eager to draw up blueprints for running other people's lives. - Thomas Sowell
Originally posted by James Earl JonesThe world is filled with violence. Because criminals carry guns, we decent law-abiding citizens should also have guns. Otherwise they will win and the decent people will lose.Comment
-
Calguns.net Statistics
Collapse
Topics: 1,868,329
Posts: 25,146,868
Members: 358,387
Active Members: 5,484
Welcome to our newest member, LakeLife.
What's Going On
Collapse
There are currently 30018 users online. 31 members and 29987 guests.
Most users ever online was 239,041 at 10:39 PM on 02-14-2026.

Comment