Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Dents from to much lube???

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • Harvey Mushman
    Junior Member
    • Jun 2009
    • 31

    Dents from to much lube???

    I have been working with some 30-06 mil brass that I have had for a while. I read some warnings about to much lube denting the brass during resizing. How can lube cause a dent?

    I'm using a countersink to remove the crimp, seems like it is removing a lot of material. guess I will try a couple of rounds to see how it holds up.
  • #2
    freonr22
    I need a LIFE!!
    • Dec 2008
    • 12948

    Hydraulic pressure will cause dents. Try imperial sizing wax just a little on your fingers rub on case excellent lube
    sigpic
    Originally posted by dantodd
    We will win. We are right. We will never stop fighting.
    Originally posted by bwiese
    They don't believe it's possible, but then Alison didn't believe there'd be 350K - 400K OLLs in CA either.
    Originally posted by louisianagirl
    Our fate is ours alone to decide as long as we remain armed heavily enough to dictate it.

    Comment

    • #3
      Bug Splat
      Calguns Addict
      • Dec 2007
      • 6561

      Water/liquids do not compress and is in fact water is harder than brass or even steel. Water is funny that way. Soft as can be but it will rip through anything with enough pressure. Ever see that episode of Mythbusters firing a 50cal into a pool to see how far it went? only 18 inches before the water destroyed and stopped the round. If you have too much lube it has to go somewhere and because brass is softer than dies its going to push through it. I have seen some dies with vent holes that are supposed to prevent this but I have never tired them.

      Comment

      • #4
        Harvey Mushman
        Junior Member
        • Jun 2009
        • 31

        Makes sense, I have seen the power of water under pressure. Never thought about it while resizing my brass. I have always used a thin coat so I haven't seen it yet.

        Comment

        • #5
          Sheldon
          Senior Member
          • Oct 2005
          • 2149

          Put a sloppy amount near the shoulder of a case and size it. You will see the dents.

          Comment

          • #6
            vortec_cruiser
            Member
            • Jul 2007
            • 467

            As stated, keep lube off the shoulder and you'll be fine.

            Comment

            • #7
              five.five-six
              CGN Contributor
              • May 2006
              • 34928

              Originally posted by vortec_cruiser
              As stated, keep lube off the shoulder and you'll be fine.

              bears repeating

              Comment

              • #8
                LGB Loader
                Senior Member
                • Jun 2008
                • 727

                Originally Posted by vortec_cruiser
                As stated, keep lube off the shoulder and you'll be fine.


                bears repeating
                Yup.

                LGB
                Training in The Peaceful Art to achieve unnatural naturalness and natural unnaturalness, BEcoming WATER while serving The Great I AM.

                John 3:16

                Comment

                • #9
                  wellerjohn
                  Member
                  • May 2008
                  • 393

                  Use oneshot spray lube, I have not had problems since I started using it.

                  Comment

                  Working...
                  UA-8071174-1