Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Lee Classic Turret Press and Dillon Dies

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • Cyclepath
    Senior Member
    • Apr 2008
    • 738

    Lee Classic Turret Press and Dillon Dies

    I have been purchasing all the various components for reloading and funds are coming up somewhat short and I am eager to get started. So I have decided to go with a Lee Classic Turret for now instead of the Dillon 650 that I originally planned. I know I will get a Dillon in the future. Should I get the Dillon dies now for the Lee or should I stick with the Lee dies for the Lee press? I will be loading 9mm and .45 initially and then .223 in the future.

    Any thoughts or issues I might run into?
  • #2
    nn3453
    Senior Member
    • Apr 2009
    • 2245

    Dillon, Redding, Forster, Hornady, anything but Lee. I've had 3 different Lee die sets with poor tolerances and bad QC to ever buy Lee again (sizing die wouldn't fit because threads were done poorly, seating die seated bullets so badly you could easily see they were not concentric, a seating die for a 223 was marring the bullets badly because the seater had tool marks). Then again I usually have bad luck and most people are fine with Lee.

    I'd also save for the 650 and take the hit once.
    sigpic

    Comment

    • #3
      WileyWilly
      Senior Member
      • May 2008
      • 525

      I've never had a problem with Lee pistol dies(.32,.380, 9mm, .38spl/.357, .45). I reload .223 with RCBS dies because they were given to me. I do prefer the collet style of decapping pin that Lee uses.
      WW

      Comment

      • #4
        Leon75x55
        Member
        • Sep 2008
        • 272

        I have used lee dies for many years, they are fine to use and will work on any press

        Comment

        • #5
          fullspeed1
          Senior Member
          • Nov 2008
          • 1908

          Be aware that dillon dies will not flare the case mouth on your 9mm and .45cal brass. That is a powder funnel which works with their powder drop system that is included in the caliber conversion kit. Lee's powder through dies double up as an expanding die as well. Dillon dies are pretty sweet, and are great with their progressive machines. But, the Lee dies will work just fine.
          Last edited by fullspeed1; 01-05-2010, 11:42 AM.

          Comment

          • #6
            Cyclepath
            Senior Member
            • Apr 2008
            • 738

            thanks for the responses.

            Comment

            • #7
              xrMike
              Calguns Addict
              • Feb 2006
              • 7841

              I've made many thousands of rounds of excellent .45ACP and sub-moa .223 with my Lee dies and Lee classic turret press.

              Although, I recently ruined my Lee .223 decapping/sizing die -- entirely my own fault -- so I am upgrading to a new set of Redding dies for that caliber.

              Comment

              • #8
                Bug Splat
                Calguns Addict
                • Dec 2007
                • 6561

                Never a problem with my lee dies. I have other brands and have had good luck with all of them.

                Comment

                • #9
                  Cyclepath
                  Senior Member
                  • Apr 2008
                  • 738

                  I figure the Lee Classic Turret will be a good set to learn the basics of reloading without breaking the bank. $200 complete for the Lee vs $600 for the Dillon press minus accessories is a big difference. In the future, I will proabably get the Dillon for volume and use the Lee for precision loads or other duties.

                  Comment

                  • #10
                    Rule .308
                    Veteran Member
                    • Oct 2005
                    • 2531

                    I find Lee dies to be a love/hate deal with there being little middle ground. I like their collet sizing dies for neck sizing only, otherwise my experience is that Lee dies are pretty much a cheap piece of crap. They make some other equipment that is worth owning but their dies are not one of them.

                    Comment

                    • #11
                      Rwnielsen
                      Senior Member
                      • Oct 2009
                      • 639

                      Originally posted by Cyclepath
                      I figure the Lee Classic Turret will be a good set to learn the basics of reloading without breaking the bank. $200 complete for the Lee vs $600 for the Dillon press minus accessories is a big difference. In the future, I will proabably get the Dillon for volume and use the Lee for precision loads or other duties.

                      I use my 650 for volume on 45acp and plinker 357/44 loads. When I load hotter rounds in 357/44 mag, I hand prime and weigh each one. I'm on the lookout for a single stage or small turret for the full house stuff. You won't regret doing what you plan to do. Have fun
                      NRA Lifer/Endowment/Patron Member

                      Comment

                      • #12
                        Cyclepath
                        Senior Member
                        • Apr 2008
                        • 738

                        That was my thinking exactly. Thanks.

                        Originally posted by Rwnielsen
                        I use my 650 for volume on 45acp and plinker 357/44 loads. When I load hotter rounds in 357/44 mag, I hand prime and weigh each one. I'm on the lookout for a single stage or small turret for the full house stuff. You won't regret doing what you plan to do. Have fun
                        Last edited by Cyclepath; 01-06-2010, 1:21 AM.

                        Comment

                        • #13
                          g17owner
                          Senior Member
                          • Oct 2007
                          • 881

                          The big blue like posted earlier wont allow you to use lee's powder through expanding die and auto disk. I have found that for pistol the lee setup is super easy to use abd get consistant results with. I reload for 40, 38,357, and 45 and have never had a problem with the dies or press. I can produce around 200 rounds per hour on it without much trouble and they are accurate and feed reliably. The dillon comes into its own if you want to produce lots of rounds real fast. There dies are good too and easy to disassemble for cleaning and maintence. I am a firm believer in sticking with the same brand press and dies.I hasve found less headaches that way.

                          Comment

                          Working...
                          UA-8071174-1