Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Dinged Brass - Newbie Q

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • Nadir_E
    Member
    • Jan 2006
    • 113

    Dinged Brass - Newbie Q

    While I haven't yet entered the world of reloading (planning to through the upcoming area classes being planned), I am curious about how much damage to brass crosses the line and puts a shell out of commission for reloading.

    In this case (sorry! ) I offer the following photo of damaged .223 rounds that were part of a "factory reload" purchase from an on-line retailer. The one on the right is the least dinged, but the other two are noticeably so. Would you be concerned about potential failures to extract if you fired these rounds?



    Many thanks for your advice/opinions.

    -N
  • #2
    EBR Works
    Vendor/Retailer
    • Dec 2007
    • 10492

    Those dents will disappear when you shoot them and extraction won't be an issue. You should inspect each case before reloading them.
    Last edited by EBR Works; 11-03-2009, 7:45 AM.


    Check out our e-commerce site here:

    www.ebrworks.com

    Serving you from Prescott, AZ

    Comment

    • #3
      doc1buc
      Senior Member
      • Oct 2008
      • 1670

      +1, the only concern would be the brass piece on the left if the dent has a puncture in it.
      Support your local Gun-store:

      Ammunition Supply Point
      Vacaville, CA
      707-448-8662
      Great Owners, nice selection of firearms!
      OLL AR

      Comment

      • #4
        ZakAttackMan
        Senior Member
        • Mar 2009
        • 519

        If that is the majority of "BRASS QUALITY" that you purchased from your dealer reloads I would never purchase rounds from that dealer again.

        I myself would not sell reloaded brass that looks like that (after firing) because I have to much that looks better but that is just MHO
        Last edited by ZakAttackMan; 11-06-2009, 2:36 AM.

        Comment

        • #5
          stphnman20
          Calguns Addict
          • Feb 2005
          • 6583

          Oh thats nothing.. It'll go away once you fire it..

          Comment

          • #6
            nn3453
            Senior Member
            • Apr 2009
            • 2245

            Originally posted by brass
            Yikes! Those aren't dents from reloads, I don't think. Those look like dents that would happen in failures to cycle the ammo through some sort of autoloading mechanism... maybe factory seconds from a high-speed reloading setup?
            Could be excessive case lube.
            sigpic

            Comment

            • #7
              Offroader
              Member
              • Nov 2008
              • 280

              Excessive case lube? Can you clearify how much case lube should be used. This is a valid question. I am just starting to load 223 and am curious how to indicate how much case lube should be used. Not enough and the case will jam and now too much and the case will have a dent?
              Avatar is to honor my father's WWII commendations, includes Bronze Star

              NRA Patron Member

              Comment

              • #8
                ar15barrels
                I need a LIFE!!
                • Jan 2006
                • 57175

                Originally posted by Offroader
                Not enough and the case will jam and now too much and the case will have a dent?
                This is correct.
                Those dents were not from lube though.
                Those dents above were from people walking on the brass before it was collected, or from the gun that fired it previously.

                Lube dents from excess lube will be in the shoulder, above the transistion to the main part of the case body.
                Randall Rausch

                AR work: www.ar15barrels.com
                Handguns: www.handgunbarrels.com
                Bolt actions: www.700barrels.com
                Foreign Semi Autos: www.akbarrels.com
                Most work done while you wait on a scheduled shop visit.

                Comment

                • #9
                  nn3453
                  Senior Member
                  • Apr 2009
                  • 2245

                  Originally posted by ar15barrels
                  Lube dents from excess lube will be in the shoulder, above the transistion to the main part of the case body.
                  That make sense. I found this out the hard way many moons ago. Hornady's one shot is especially notorious for this. It is easy to get carried away and spray too much.
                  sigpic

                  Comment

                  • #10
                    freakshow10mm
                    Veteran Member
                    • Jun 2008
                    • 3061

                    Who loaded it? I would think QC would cull those.

                    Comment

                    • #11
                      ZakAttackMan
                      Senior Member
                      • Mar 2009
                      • 519

                      Originally posted by freakshow10mm
                      Who loaded it? I would think QC would cull those.
                      +1 That's what I was thinking.
                      That brass should have went straight to the scrap pile not the press.

                      Comment

                      • #12
                        ZakAttackMan
                        Senior Member
                        • Mar 2009
                        • 519

                        Originally posted by nn3453
                        That make sense. I found this out the hard way many moons ago. Hornady's one shot is especially notorious for this. It is easy to get carried away and spray too much.
                        I'm a big fan of hornadys "Unique Case Lube" you have to apply it by hand but sure beats using a lube pad.

                        Comment

                        • #13
                          thomashoward
                          In Memoriam
                          • Jan 2009
                          • 1991

                          The ejectors from previous firings do the dings like that.They will come out when fired. An HK with a fluted chamber put flutes in the brass and smashes the case mouth closed
                          Last edited by thomashoward; 11-07-2009, 3:04 PM.
                          http://i1150.photobucket.com/albums/...0fa5fefab1.jpghttp://i1150.photobucket.com/albums/...Untitled-2.jpghttp://i1150.photobucket.com/albums/...tar76148_1.jpg
                          "Everyone has two lives,the second one starts when you realize you only have one "

                          Comment

                          Working...
                          UA-8071174-1