I have way too many different powders although I am reloading quite a few different cartridges. If I can get it down to four powders for every thing I would be pretty happy if that is possible. Can any of you suggest any particular handgun and rifle powders that would do a good job across a broad spectrum of cartridges?
Unconfigured Ad Widget
Collapse
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
Narrowing down powders for multi-calibers
Collapse
X
-
Narrowing down powders for multi-calibers
The path of the righteous man is beset on all sides by the inequities of the selfish and the tyranny of evil men. Blessed is he, who in the name of charity and good will, shepherds the weak through the valley of darkness, for he is truly his brother's keeper and the finder of lost children. And I will strike down upon thee with great vengeance and furious anger those who would attempt to poison and destroy my brothers. And you will know my name is the Lord when I lay my vengeance upon thee.Tags: None -
Accurate # 5 has been good to me.
Some say it is dirty or whatever.
For me it measures very evenly in my Dillon 550 and this is important.
Use #5 for 38 spcl, 9mm, .45 ACP and .380.
I haven't tried a bunch of different powders as #5 was so good to me right off the start.
I can't find much #5 around here anymore so I think 231 is the next to try for all the above calibers.
Originally posted by Citadelgrad87I don't really care, I just like to argue. -
tagging alongComment
-
I like 231 also. I use it in 40 s&w, and 38spl. I also plan to use it for 9mm and 45 acp if possible. h-335 is good for 223 and may work for larger calibers. imr-4895 is what I have always used for 243 and 30-06, but I think it is also listed for 223. Of course, h335 is great in powder throwers but 4895 is not ideal but does work.He who dies with the most tools/toys wins
Comment
-
I'm using Titegroup in 9mm, .45ACP, .38, and .357 Magnum. I have some WW296 for hotter .357 loads.Comment
-
What cartridges are you currently reloading? If we know that we may be able provide some useful information.I have way too many different powders although I am reloading quite a few different cartridges. If I can get it down to four powders for every thing I would be pretty happy if that is possible. Can any of you suggest any particular handgun and rifle powders that would do a good job across a broad spectrum of cartridges?Luck favors the prepared.
The original battle plan did not survive initial contact with the enemy.
"The things that will destroy America are prosperity at any price, peace at any price, safety first instead of duty first, the love of soft living and the get rich quick theory of life." -Theodore RooseveltComment
-
Regular pistol - W231
Magnum pistol - W296
Low expansion ratio cartridges,- 223, 308, 30.06, 375 H&H etc. - IMR 4064
Medium expansion ratio cartridges - 243, 25.06, 270, 7 Mag, 300 mag - H4350
High expansion ratio cartridges - 220 swift, Weatherby cartridges, 264 Win mag, RUM Cartridges, etc, - H1000Frank
One rifle, one planet, Holland's 375

Life Member NRA, CRPA and SAFComment
-
The path of the righteous man is beset on all sides by the inequities of the selfish and the tyranny of evil men. Blessed is he, who in the name of charity and good will, shepherds the weak through the valley of darkness, for he is truly his brother's keeper and the finder of lost children. And I will strike down upon thee with great vengeance and furious anger those who would attempt to poison and destroy my brothers. And you will know my name is the Lord when I lay my vengeance upon thee.Comment
-
Unique and Varget would cover those nicely.Comment
-
231 would be great for all the mild pistol caliber loads except for magnum loads. It would even work o.k. in 10mm for mild loads, although if you really want to load 10mm to its full potential you'll probably want something slower burning. If you can't find 231, HP-38 is the same exact powder now. Hodgdon manufactures both at the same place to the same specs. Other powders that are very similar to 231 are AA#2, Ramshot Zip, and VihtaVuori N320. Titegroup, Clays, Bullseye, and 700X are examples that will also cover the same range, although they are a little faster burning. 231 is always a nice choice if you can find it because of it's broad application and the fact that almost every manufacturer has extensive load data for it.
Good magnum powders would include, AA#9, W296/H-110, 2400, Lil'Gun, IMR-4227, Enforcer and probably others I have not listed. I believe I've seen data with AA#9 being used in hotter 10mm loads, but I'm not positive.
There have been some good recommendations for rifle powder, but as mentioned above Varget will just about cover all of them except maybe 7.62x39. However, you could use IMR-4227 for it, which also can be loaded in .357 and .44mag. The only downside to that is 4227 doesn't have as high of velocity #s as other powders for 7.62x39. I just remembered that Hodgdon has data for all the rifle calibers you have listed even 7.62x39 using BL-C(2).Last edited by AJD; 10-17-2009, 9:02 AM.Comment
-
I use H110 and Unique for Pistol. IMR 4064 or 4895 for rifle but I also hear good things about Varget and may try some of that in the near future.Comment
-
OK, now what are your goals? Are you concerned with maximizing your potential in the cartridges or is keeping one pistol and one rifle powder supply most important?
If that latter, Unique for pistol and Varget for rifle. Backup for rifle is one of the 4895s.Comment
Calguns.net Statistics
Collapse
Topics: 1,868,471
Posts: 25,148,109
Members: 358,862
Active Members: 5,927
Welcome to our newest member, 1776 Arms.
What's Going On
Collapse
There are currently 24984 users online. 94 members and 24890 guests.
Most users ever online was 239,041 at 10:39 PM on 02-14-2026.

Comment