Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

OAL tolerances for .45 acp

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • OofieXD
    Senior Member
    • Apr 2009
    • 553

    OAL tolerances for .45 acp

    I just received a used Square Deal (not B) yesterday and I tried setting it up today. I got the powder measure where I wanted, at 5.0gr of w231.

    However, when I was setting up the bullet seater die (station 3), I got several measurements from what I wanted. I set it up for 1.250" but from 48 bullets (without powder and primer), I got readings anywhere from 1.256" to about 1.241". I probably got half over 1.250" and half under. Is this normal? I'm using once fired brass and 230gr LRN. What are the acceptable tolerances for .45acp OAL?
  • #2
    joelogic
    Calguns Addict
    • May 2008
    • 6593

    How are you getting a variance in OAL? The die shouldnt move and the shellplate shouldnt move.
    Micro/Mini Reflex Red Dot Sight Mount for the M1, M1a/M14 platform

    Comment

    • #3
      Fjold
      I need a LIFE!!
      • Oct 2005
      • 23062

      The nose shape and length will vary that much. As long as they fit in the magazine and cycle through your gun, you're fine.
      Frank

      One rifle, one planet, Holland's 375




      Life Member NRA, CRPA and SAF

      Comment

      • #4
        Jonathan Doe

        I just seat to the magazine length and had no problems yet.

        Comment

        • #5
          Revoman
          Senior Member
          • Dec 2007
          • 2395

          Are you sure that the shellplate is snugged down. Sometimes the center screw/bolt that holds the shellplate in place becomes loose, causing it to be unstable enough to produce inconsistent OAL's. The plate should not wobble......at all.

          If that's not the issue, perhaps the seating die has debris in it from previous loadings, lube, lead, etc. Try cleaning it. Or, the seating die is not the correct die for the shape of the bullet you are loading, they come in WC, RN, SWC, etc.

          My bet is on the shellplate hold down screw being slightly backed out.

          There are tolerances also though and the shape of the bullet has a great impact upon the OAL. That's why it's important to look at the actual bullet that the manual shows to see if it's within the basic perimeters of the bullet that you are loading for. Sometimes close is as good as it gets, but sometimes close is not a good thing especially if you loading maximum loads.

          If you can, try getting loading information from the bullet manufacture, that way they have the correct information for that particular bullet shape and size,OAL and so on.

          Comment

          • #6
            buffybuster
            Veteran Member
            • Oct 2005
            • 2615

            Ammo within that tolerance range will generally function. The source of your variance could be the bullet or your shellplate or die isn't fully tightened down or you are not stroking the lever consistently. Consistent stroke is very important. Think of the lever going up and down at the same speed, all the way UP and then all the way DOWN with the same speed in both directions. Smoothly and consistently with no jerking or speeding up.
            Luck favors the prepared.

            The original battle plan did not survive initial contact with the enemy.

            "The things that will destroy America are prosperity at any price, peace at any price, safety first instead of duty first, the love of soft living and the get rich quick theory of life." -Theodore Roosevelt

            Comment

            • #7
              OofieXD
              Senior Member
              • Apr 2009
              • 553

              I forgot to mention, these bullets (230gr LRN) were cast at home. I got them from a guy who sold me a scale, he gave me 350pcs of LRN. Maybe it has something to do with that?

              The shellplate is snug, but I haven't checked the die if it's clean or not. How would I know which seater cups are which? I got this used and I had no idea there were different seater cups.

              Comment

              • #8
                diginit
                Veteran Member
                • Feb 2008
                • 3250

                I hope he sized the bullets.
                I've loaded almost every bullet for the 45. FMJ's. ball and FN. jacketed swc's, LWSC, HP's-Lead and jacketed. TC's. TCHP's, etc. Never had to change the seater cup.
                I'd say short,uneven stroking or play in the press somewhere. But some bullets are just different enough in size to go +/- on OAL.

                Comment

                • #9
                  Flying Bones
                  CGN/CGSSA Contributor
                  • Dec 2008
                  • 1419

                  I've been dealing with the same problem more/less in my new 650.
                  First finding: My shell plate was too loose. That tightened my "range" way up but i'm still getting variances in OAL from 2.27 to 2.22...There is "play" in the top die holder, I don't like it, I think it's causing my problems but that's how it's manufactured.
                  Originally posted by Aleksei Vasiliev
                  What's the best way to turn a black glock pink?
                  Originally posted by huck
                  You still can't wear it in the parade.


                  Lord, protect me from my friends. I can handle my enemies.

                  Comment

                  • #10
                    OofieXD
                    Senior Member
                    • Apr 2009
                    • 553

                    I did a few bullets again this morning and all 15 were over 1.260 and averaging around 1.268. I have no idea whats happening everything is tight as they're supposed to be. What I found though was that my crimping die was dirty with lube. Could this have helped with the inconsistencies?

                    Comment

                    • #11
                      sza
                      Member
                      • Jul 2007
                      • 129

                      Three tips for getting more consistent OAL with a Square Deal:

                      1. When you're setting up the seating die, have a case in every station. The pressure from sizing will cock the ram over slightly, affecting your seating depth.

                      2. Don't over-crimp. Check your OAL before and after crimping. If it's changing, you're over-crimping.

                      3. Measure the length of a some of your bullets (or better yet, use a comparator). Don't expect to hold your OAL to anything better than the variation in the bullets you are using.

                      Comment

                      • #12
                        OofieXD
                        Senior Member
                        • Apr 2009
                        • 553

                        Thanks for the tips sza. Does the projectile length matter with OAL? I was under the impression that longer projectiles would just get seated in more.

                        Comment

                        • #13
                          sza
                          Member
                          • Jul 2007
                          • 129

                          It's more the difference in profile that the overall length, which is why a comparator is better.

                          It comes down to where the seating plug is contacting the bullet. If you're using the rounded seating plug, and the nose of the bullet is a slightly different diameter or different profile, the plug will contact the bullet in a different place and the OAL will be different.

                          You can still get a (rough) idea of how much variance there is from bullet to bullet by measuring their overall length--the idea is to set your expectations appropriately.

                          Comment

                          • #14
                            Revoman
                            Senior Member
                            • Dec 2007
                            • 2395

                            sza........Excellent advise on both posts.

                            OofieXD....Yes, lube can change the OAL somewhat, even in the crimp station.

                            I would recommend, if you haven't already done so, to clean the entire setup, dies, shellplate, etc. When you remove the shellplate, DO NOT tip the machine over until you have removed the detent ball (it sits toward the front center, closest to the handle), and it's spring or you will lose them both.

                            Since this machine is new to you, but used, you may even take the time and effort to clean the entire machine, by taking it completely apart and lubricating when reassembling. This may not remedy the problem, but it could make you machine run smoother/better.

                            Comment

                            • #15
                              OofieXD
                              Senior Member
                              • Apr 2009
                              • 553

                              Revoman, yeah, I'll probably do that when I have time this weekend.

                              Well, I just did 52 rounds this afternoon, 21 with 4.8gr, 21 with 5.0gr and 10 with 5.2 gr of W231. I'm going to the range tomorrow so I wanted a variety of powder charges. During my first 21 rounds, I was all over the place with OAL, maybe a .010" spread. I checked every round with my magazine and barrel. Out of the first 21 rounds, I had (1) 1.228", (2) 1.239" and the rest were +/-.010 from 1.250".

                              Second batch which was 21 rounds again, I had better consistency. Out of 21 rounds, I had (3) 1.245" and rest were from 1.251" to 1.259".

                              Last 10 rounds, I got (1) 1.260" and rest were +/-.003 from 1.255".

                              I guess I was getting the big inconsistencies because of the uneven strokes yesterday and only loading one case at a time. I think it does help when you have all stations with cases at it probably distributes the shellplate better.

                              By the way, I'm getting some Bear Creek 200gr bullets tomorrow and I'll see if I can produce more uniform bullets with those.
                              Last edited by OofieXD; 08-26-2009, 6:16 PM.

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              UA-8071174-1