Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Purchased an old RCBS JR2

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • MotherBelgium
    Junior Member
    • Jul 2018
    • 5

    Purchased an old RCBS JR2

    Hi Everyone:

    My fascination with reloading led me to purchase an old RCBS JR2 press on eBay. While I did also purchase a reloading manual, there are a few topics I could use your help with.

    1) Can I purchase any RCBS dies or are there RCBS dies in particular that I need for this old JR2? I would be reloading 270 Winchester. Another, underlining reason I started looking into reloading, is that I have collected well over 1,500 270 shells since I started shooting back in 2015.

    2) Can I walk into, let's say a Sportsmans Warehouse, and buy smokeless powder and primers? Or, is there a process much like buying ammunition?

    3) Is there a YouTube series or channel out there that will cover most of the steps in a single-stage process?



    Many thanks in advance.
    Last edited by MotherBelgium; 11-03-2022, 6:34 PM. Reason: Added additional questions
  • #2
    bohoki
    I need a LIFE!!
    • Jan 2006
    • 20826

    yea the jr2 uses standard dies and shellholder also a standard priming arm

    no component laws yet

    you will need a powder measure and a scale to get it set right

    i just use a lee perfect powder measure and a digital jewlry scale (that has a grain mode)

    the steps are pretty basic

    first clean brass
    then lube brass i just use a finger gob of vasaline

    size and decap

    then measure the length of the case trim it then debur

    then put in the primer

    drop in the powder

    then seat the bullet

    Comment

    • #3
      kcstott
      I need a LIFE!!
      • Nov 2011
      • 11796

      1. Any set of modern made dies will work.
      Lee, Hornady, Lyman, RCBS, Redding, Wilson, Pacific. As long as they are 7/8"- 14 thread which nearly all are, they will work, that standard was established decades ago.

      Brass, bullets, primers and powder can be had over the counter no paper work needed, Powder if bought in person requires a DL so they can enter your data into a bound book,

      As for a you tube channel Ultimate reloader Gavin tube is about the best for an all inclusive step by step process.

      Comment

      • #4
        MotherBelgium
        Junior Member
        • Jul 2018
        • 5

        I really appreciate the help guys.

        Comment

        • #5
          kcstott
          I need a LIFE!!
          • Nov 2011
          • 11796

          Originally posted by MotherBelgium
          I really appreciate the help guys.
          What manual did you get?

          a good no nonsense manual is Lyman. Read the front section, it will walk you through the process of loading.

          Comment

          • #6
            ARFrog
            Senior Member
            • Nov 2016
            • 1293

            One other thing to consider might be to replace the die bushing. I did this last year to a RockChucker that I picked up. I used a Hornady Lock N Load Conversion Bushing Kit like the following:



            This allows me to insert and remove dies without having to constantly change and reset their settings. With the conversion kit, once the dies are set up you just insert and twist and you are ready to go. Or, twist and pull up and the die is removed. This makes the loading process go much faster.

            The hardest thing to do is to remove the RCBS original bushing. If I remember correctly, it is a 1 1/4" lip that is kind of hard to get a hold of. You either need a very large crescent wrench or what easily worked for me was a 1 1/4" socket.

            Good luck OP!
            sigpic

            ARFrog

            Comment

            • #7
              kcstott
              I need a LIFE!!
              • Nov 2011
              • 11796

              Originally posted by ARFrog
              One other thing to consider might be to replace the die bushing. I did this last year to a RockChucker that I picked up. I used a Hornady Lock N Load Conversion Bushing Kit like the following:



              This allows me to insert and remove dies without having to constantly change and reset their settings. With the conversion kit, once the dies are set up you just insert and twist and you are ready to go. Or, twist and pull up and the die is removed. This makes the loading process go much faster.

              The hardest thing to do is to remove the RCBS original bushing. If I remember correctly, it is a 1 1/4" lip that is kind of hard to get a hold of. You either need a very large crescent wrench or what easily worked for me was a 1 1/4" socket.

              Good luck OP!
              the Jr press doesn't have a bushing.

              If you had problems with the locking rings you weren't doing it right.
              dies only need to be just snug in the press. Proper locking rings with set screws or clamp screws work best. you adjust the ring until you have your die set up correctly and then snug the screw up. you can then remove the die without upsetting the adjustment.

              Comment

              • #8
                bigbossman
                I need a LIFE!!
                • Dec 2012
                • 11281

                Originally posted by ARFrog
                One other thing to consider might be to replace the die bushing. I did this last year to a RockChucker that I picked up. I used a Hornady Lock N Load Conversion Bushing Kit like the following:


                While I understand the use and convenience of these quick change bushings, I never really had an issue setting the lock-ring and then screwing/unscrewing dies in/out of the press. It would seem to me that at best you're saving about 15 seconds on each die change, and at $20 for one die set the juice doesn't seem worth the squeeze.
                Always looking for vintage Winchester and Marlin lever action rifles. Looking to sell? Know of one for sale? Drop me a line!

                "Give a conservative a pile of bricks and you get a beautiful city. Give a leftist a city and you get a pile of bricks."

                Comment

                • #9
                  pacrat
                  I need a LIFE!!
                  • May 2014
                  • 10285

                  Originally posted by kcstott
                  the Jr press doesn't have a bushing.

                  If you had problems with the locking rings you weren't doing it right.
                  dies only need to be just snug in the press. Proper locking rings with set screws or clamp screws work best. you adjust the ring until you have your die set up correctly and then snug the screw up. you can then remove the die without upsetting the adjustment.
                  ARFrog must be using LEE dies exclusively. They have no set screws. Just the cheesy "O" ring. Which requires F'n with every time you screw them in.

                  That is the only down side I've found with their die sets.

                  Loc N Load type bushing presses are designed to make users buy proprietary bushings for every die they own.

                  With all the dies I have after 50+ yrs of accumulation. It would cost me over $300 in bushings. Just to save 10 seconds per die change. NO THANKS

                  IIRC a bag of 100 cnt-7/8x14 thin jamb nuts cost me $15 at Grainger's years ago. For use on LEE dies. Throw the O-ring away and double nut em.

                  Comment

                  • #10
                    bohoki
                    I need a LIFE!!
                    • Jan 2006
                    • 20826

                    Originally posted by pacrat
                    ARFrog must be using LEE dies exclusively. They have no set screws. Just the cheesy "O" ring. Which requires F'n with every time you screw them in.

                    That is the only down side I've found with their die sets.

                    Loc N Load type bushing presses are designed to make users buy proprietary bushings for every die they own.

                    With all the dies I have after 50+ yrs of accumulation. It would cost me over $300 in bushings. Just to save 10 seconds per die change. NO THANKS

                    IIRC a bag of 100 cnt-7/8x14 thin jamb nuts cost me $15 at Grainger's years ago. For use on LEE dies. Throw the O-ring away and double nut em.

                    i use lee dies in .223 and 9mm and so far i have set them and left them the only little thing it did was put a socket inside my 9mm belling die so i didnt have to keep it so low and i didnt like the kerchunk as it released

                    Comment

                    • #11
                      Divernhunter
                      Calguns Addict
                      • May 2010
                      • 8753

                      Most all dies are 7/8" and will fit.
                      You can still buy powder/primers/brass/bullets without all the crap you go thru for ammo----IF you can find it.

                      The very best thing you can do is buy the Lyman Reloading Manual and READ it. It will answer 90%+ of your questions including some of what you asked here.

                      The RCBS Jr press is a good one. I have a RCBS RC and a Jr. I use the Jr for seating rifle bullets and all the steps for pistol ammo. It has less leverage than my RC so it is a bit faster and has more feel.
                      A 30cal will reach out and touch them. A 50cal will kick their butt.
                      NRA Life Member, NRA certified RSO & Basic Pistol Instructor, Hunter, shooter, reloader
                      SCI, Manteca Sportsmen Club, Coalinga Rifle Club, Escalon Sportsmans Club, Waterford Sportsman Club & NAHA Member, Madison Society member

                      Comment

                      • #12
                        sigstroker
                        I need a LIFE!!
                        • Jan 2009
                        • 19897

                        Originally posted by MotherBelgium
                        2) Can I walk into, let's say a Sportsmans Warehouse, and buy smokeless powder and primers? Or, is there a process much like buying ammunition?
                        Probably not, because they almost never have any.

                        If you're asking if it's legal, the answer is yes.

                        3) Is there a YouTube series or channel out there that will cover most of the steps in a single-stage process?
                        As others have said, get a loading manual.

                        Originally posted by Divernhunter
                        Most all dies are 7/8" and will fit.
                        You can still buy powder/primers/brass/bullets without all the crap you go thru for ammo----IF you can find it.

                        The very best thing you can do is buy the Lyman Reloading Manual and READ it. It will answer 90%+ of your questions including some of what you asked here.

                        The RCBS Jr press is a good one. I have a RCBS RC and a Jr. I use the Jr for seating rifle bullets and all the steps for pistol ammo. It has less leverage than my RC so it is a bit faster and has more feel.
                        I have Speer and Hornady manuals, both are good ones also.

                        Comment

                        • #13
                          M1NM
                          Calguns Addict
                          • Oct 2011
                          • 7966

                          My Jr had the date stamped on the surface where the dies screw in.

                          Comment

                          • #14
                            Cowboy T
                            Calguns Addict
                            • Mar 2010
                            • 5725

                            Originally posted by MotherBelgium
                            Hi Everyone:

                            My fascination with reloading led me to purchase an old RCBS JR2 press on eBay. While I did also purchase a reloading manual, there are a few topics I could use your help with.

                            1) Can I purchase any RCBS dies or are there RCBS dies in particular that I need for this old JR2? I would be reloading 270 Winchester. Another, underlining reason I started looking into reloading, is that I have collected well over 1,500 270 shells since I started shooting back in 2015.

                            2) Can I walk into, let's say a Sportsmans Warehouse, and buy smokeless powder and primers? Or, is there a process much like buying ammunition?

                            3) Is there a YouTube series or channel out there that will cover most of the steps in a single-stage process?



                            Many thanks in advance.
                            Here's a review of using a single-stage press.



                            And yes, get and study a good reloading manual. I personally would recommend Lyman's 51st Edition.
                            "San Francisco Liberal With A Gun"
                            F***ing with people's heads, one gun show at a time. Hallelujah!
                            http://www.sanfranciscoliberalwithagun.com (reloading info w/ videos)
                            http://www.liberalsguncorner.com (podcast)
                            http://www.youtube.com/sfliberal (YouTube channel)
                            ----------------------------------------------------
                            To be a true Liberal, you must be 100% pro-Second Amendment. Anything less is inconsistent with liberalism.

                            Comment

                            • #15
                              hambam105
                              Calguns Addict
                              • Jan 2013
                              • 7083

                              How long will that light weight Lee Press last when you full length size 38 Specials?
                              For flaring, seating or crimping it should last a long time.

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              UA-8071174-1