Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Powder/Primer Storage

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • Rgarbarino
    Senior Member
    • Aug 2014
    • 1112

    Powder/Primer Storage

    Question on storage. Are there any issues with storing powder and primers in the garage if the temps reach 100 degrees, maybe a little higher? Is it better to store them inside the air conditioned house?

    Thanks in advance.
  • #2
    nyc71
    Member
    • May 2011
    • 300

    Comment

    • #3
      kcstott
      I need a LIFE!!
      • Nov 2011
      • 11796

      Originally posted by Rgarbarino
      Question on storage. Are there any issues with storing powder and primers in the garage if the temps reach 100 degrees, maybe a little higher? Is it better to store them inside the air conditioned house?

      Thanks in advance.
      High and low temps degrade powder over time.

      That said I've got powder that is well over 30 years old and it's fine.

      Comment

      • #4
        bergmen
        Senior Member
        • May 2011
        • 2493

        From a PDF document that SAAMI issued:



        Dan

        Comment

        • #5
          trailblazer87
          Senior Member
          • Apr 2012
          • 1216

          I have only had one can of powder go bad in 20 years of reloading, a can of blue dot that started to smell like ammonia, and it was years old when I got it. Just dumped it and burned it in an open field of bare dirt. It didn't want to burn very well.

          IMR has a sample of their original smokeless powder under water in a jar that they pull a bit from each year and test, it's still good after over a century.
          Become Ungovernable.

          Comment

          • #6
            edgerly779
            CGN/CGSSA Contributor
            CGN Contributor
            • Aug 2009
            • 19871

            I have 50year old powder stored dry and with no highs or lows in temp. Still good. My powder never stored in temps above 90 degrees

            Comment

            • #7
              divingin
              Veteran Member
              • Jul 2015
              • 2522

              That would degrade me as well.

              Comment

              • #8
                Kerplow
                Calguns Addict
                • Dec 2009
                • 8875

                I recently read a thread on another forum about the degradation of powder over time and how it reacts with oxygen or water molecules in the air and releases corrosive compounds. I was recently pulling bullets from some old reloads that were given to me 20+ years ago and I found some cases that were corroded on the inside only. I wouldn’t be surprised if they were loaded 10 years prior to me receiving them.
                Originally posted by MelvinoelGreat**
                My friend, your Chargers sure are looking good tonight. They are only losing by 14 at the half, not to bad my friend.

                Comment

                • #9
                  Beelzy
                  Calguns Addict
                  • Apr 2008
                  • 9225

                  Don't store powder and primers in the garage long term. Wide temperature swings
                  Including humidity can make propellants break down.
                  "I kill things for a living, don't make yourself one of them"

                  Comment

                  • #10
                    ORNGXTC
                    Member
                    • Jun 2009
                    • 130

                    I date all primers and powder when I purchase them with a permanent marker. The current inventory I am still using up was from 1994. This is Winchester 231 and 296 white metal can and Winchester white box small and large pistol primers. All inventory was stored in a garage but without seeing extreme temps. I have never had an issue with either component as far as failure.
                    RIP ABBY. You were the finest hunting dog a owner could want.sigpic

                    Comment

                    Working...
                    UA-8071174-1