Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

How important is tumbling?

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • nemisis1400
    Senior Member
    • Jun 2008
    • 1270

    How important is tumbling?

    I see reload kits all the time, but only every now and then do I see tumblers to clean brass. So I have to ask is it ok to fire dirty brass? Is cleaning just a matter of aesthetics, or does the brass deteriorate over time without cleaning?
  • #2
    f4tweet
    Senior Member
    • Oct 2005
    • 2022

    Not OK to fire dirty brass, especially rifle. The cleaning process is for ease of re-sizing brass and not damaging the inside of the dies. Not just aesthetics.

    Comment

    • #3
      Mstnpete
      Veteran Member
      • Jul 2006
      • 4039

      I clean fired brass all the time.
      Cleaning brass is very important if you reload.
      I wouldn't reload dirty brass. To many things can happen when reloading uncleaned brass.
      sigpic

      Comment

      • #4
        AC Gould
        Member
        • Jun 2008
        • 289

        Don't confuse...

        terms. Tarnish is OK on brass...dirt is not. Tumbling removes both. Brass can also be cleaned with a little 0000 steel wool if you don't have tumbler.
        sigpic

        Comment

        • #5
          God Bless The Mauser
          Senior Member
          • Jun 2007
          • 1291

          I sometimes tumble it 3 times. First to clean it then after I size and deprime it depending on how dirty the primer pockets are and once more after it's loaded.

          Comment

          • #6
            popeye4
            Senior Member
            • Nov 2008
            • 1534

            A tumbler is a fundamental tool in handloading. They may not be included in the reloading kits, but those kits aren't all inclusive. Tumblers are not expensive when considered against the total cost of the necessary reloading equipment.

            Clean your brass. Your dies will thank you. Brass will not damage a die, but silica-based grit (dirt) certainly will.
            sigpic
            NRA Life Member
            CRPA Life Member

            Comment

            • #7
              ar15newbster
              Member
              • Nov 2008
              • 256

              Clean brass also cycles better in your semi-autos.
              sigpic

              Comment

              • #8
                Darklyte27
                Calguns Addict
                • May 2008
                • 9372

                cleaning brass is just as good as cleaning your AR.
                2 HANDGUNS STOLEN! 1 RECOVERED READ HERE

                Chickens

                Want to get into Ham Radio? Click here
                http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/s...d.php?t=202581

                Comment

                • #9
                  buffybuster
                  Veteran Member
                  • Oct 2005
                  • 2615

                  How important is tumble cleaning brass?

                  Hypothetical situation: You're shooting at the range/desert. Your brass falls into the grit and dirt, getting covered with said substances. Do you feel perfectly comfortable shaking the girt/dirt out and reloading them? If you do, then you don't need to tumble clean.

                  No one I know is comfortable with this.
                  Luck favors the prepared.

                  The original battle plan did not survive initial contact with the enemy.

                  "The things that will destroy America are prosperity at any price, peace at any price, safety first instead of duty first, the love of soft living and the get rich quick theory of life." -Theodore Roosevelt

                  Comment

                  • #10
                    emilio
                    Member
                    • Jun 2009
                    • 393

                    +1 to getting rid of dirt. tarnish might be a slight impediment to smooth cycling, but dirt has grit, and grit means wear.

                    tumbling is really not a big deal, at least if you can do it where the noise doesn't bother neighbors. i'll throw some in the tumbler and do housework, eat a meal, or even go out and run errands (it's on a fireproof surface, btw). with some good aggressive media like corn cob (or plastic, apparently) you can do a quick clean in 30-60 minutes, or leave it on for 3-6 hours to really scrub tarnished brass. i don't personally use chemicals to tumble, other than dry treated corn cob, but they seem a good way to nuke tarnish very quickly.

                    - emilio

                    Comment

                    • #11
                      nemisis1400
                      Senior Member
                      • Jun 2008
                      • 1270

                      Gotcha, make sure to clean all brass. Right now I'm kinda trying to figure out what to use as the bare minimum. yeah I know that skimping out will hurt me, that's why I want to figure out what the essentials are.

                      Comment

                      • #12
                        Offroader
                        Member
                        • Nov 2008
                        • 280

                        It seems like I am cleaning brass more often than I am reloading.
                        Avatar is to honor my father's WWII commendations, includes Bronze Star

                        NRA Patron Member

                        Comment

                        • #13
                          Ninja45
                          Senior Member
                          • Jan 2006
                          • 624

                          I tumble my brass overnight. I like them clean and shiny! Makes reloading easier if brass is that way!

                          Comment

                          • #14
                            ar15barrels
                            I need a LIFE!!
                            • Jan 2006
                            • 57179

                            Originally posted by Darklyte27
                            cleaning brass is just as good as cleaning your AR.


                            My brass is cleaner than my AR.



                            Randall Rausch

                            AR work: www.ar15barrels.com
                            Handguns: www.handgunbarrels.com
                            Bolt actions: www.700barrels.com
                            Foreign Semi Autos: www.akbarrels.com
                            Most work done while you wait on a scheduled shop visit.

                            Comment

                            • #15
                              Beelzy
                              Calguns Addict
                              • Apr 2008
                              • 9225

                              I hardly ever tumble cases, unless they are dirty beyond belief.

                              Which never happens in my world. I rather spend time reloading than worrying if
                              my brass is as clean as new.

                              Anyone looking for a cheap Lyman tumbler??
                              Last edited by Beelzy; 07-09-2009, 12:43 PM.
                              "I kill things for a living, don't make yourself one of them"

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              UA-8071174-1