Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

school a newb in reloading

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • Altahick
    Senior Member
    • Apr 2006
    • 2170

    school a newb in reloading

    hey guys i want to start doing some reloading, i would like to know what a good starter kit is, and where is a good place to buy from. i was looking at a rcbs kit for about $250.oo from cabelas, it comes with just about everything i would need, except for dies etc... would this kit be what i would need to get started, for now i just want to reload my .243, i can always upgrade my reloading supplies later on, but for now i want something for a good price that will just get me started. any info is appreciated thanks calgunners.
    ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

    " Americans have the right and advantages of being armed, unlike the citizens of other countries who's governments are afraid to trust the people with arms" - James Madison
  • #2
    Blue
    Calguns Addict
    • Oct 2005
    • 8071

    Probably a good kit to start out with. Hit up Midway and see if they have the same kit. Might be cheaper. I just picked up a set of Lee 308 and 223 dies from Midway for $10 each and change.
    Lord, make my hand fast and accurate.
    Let my aim be true and my hand faster
    than those who would seek to destroy me.
    Grant me victory over my foes and those who wish to do harm to me and mine.
    Let not my last thought be 'If I only had my gun."
    And Lord, if today is truly the day you call me home, let me die in an empty pile of brass.
    sigpic
    NRA Member

    Comment

    • #3
      Scarecrow Repair
      Senior Member
      • May 2006
      • 2425

      A general purpose suggestion

      Get as many opinions and teachers as possible. Everyone has their own blind spots and things they have forgotten were mysterious to them when they learned. Things they neglect completely as being obvious are not obvious to others.

      To be a bit more specific, I suggest getting several different reloading books. There will be two differences: basics and tables. Some books only have specific powders and bullets listed, by house brand or author's favorites. You can get a much better idea of all the ins and outs from different sources. If you can look over books in the book/gun store, look at several different examples in each book, and try to get those which have different powders and data in general.
      Mention the Deacons for Defense and Justice and make both left and right wingnuts squirm

      Comment

      • #4
        762cavalier
        NRA Training Counselor
        CGN Contributor
        • Oct 2005
        • 3626

        First place to start would be to read the Lyman reloading manual and/or the Lee manual. Lots of great info on the reloading process and load data too. You can spend as much or as little as you want to reload. I am currently using the Lee classic cast press and it is a great press and very stout. Lee dies work well also. You will get opinions on different manufacturers and who is better but it is like a Ford vs Chevy vs Dodge kind of argument. I have both lee dies and rcbs dies and they all work the same as far as I can tell.
        I'll second the suggestion to check out Midway. They are frequently cheaper than Cabelas. If you have a C&R license they also offer a great discount

        Since you are located next to me in Roseville PM me and maybe I can lend you one of my manuals and help you get started. I have been doing it for a couple of years now and am no expert but I can make ammo that goes bang every time I'm located down here in south Sacramento.
        Last edited by 762cavalier; 12-10-2006, 6:10 PM.
        In any type of fight, & especially gun fights, there are no winners ..... just varying degrees of losers. The only fight you win is the one you never get into.

        sigpic
        NRA Certified Instructor
        Rifle, Pistol, Shotgun, Home Firearms Safety,Muzzleloading, Personal Protection Series, Chief Range Safety Officer, Refuse to be a victim Regional counselor

        Comment

        • #5
          LCAZES
          Member
          • Mar 2003
          • 178

          How much do you shoot? If you shoot 200+ rounds a month I would suggest that you start with a progressive setup right away because you will quickly outgrow the single stage press. I started with an RCBS rockchucker and within 6 months I replaced it with a dillon 550B. My rockchucker hasnt been used since. If you have ANY mechanical ability at all, you will come up to speed on the progressive very quickly.

          Comment

          • #6
            Sheldon
            Senior Member
            • Oct 2005
            • 2149

            Sent you a private message about some used reloading equipment in your area.

            Comment

            • #7
              Altahick
              Senior Member
              • Apr 2006
              • 2170

              thanks for the help guys, i probably dont shoot 200+ rounds a month, so i think that the single stage press would be good for me, im still looking at the rcbs stuff, its afordable, and i hear lots of good stuff about it.

              theres one for sale on craigslist for $180.oo with the press, scale, powder throw, reloading manual, deburring tool, a LEE primer press, shell holder, three sets of dies (10mm, 38/357, 22-250) etc.

              i guess that seems like a good price?
              ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

              " Americans have the right and advantages of being armed, unlike the citizens of other countries who's governments are afraid to trust the people with arms" - James Madison

              Comment

              • #8
                eckerph
                Senior Member
                • May 2006
                • 1694

                Have you checked to see if Sportsman's warehouse has any kits? you may save on some shipping charges if they do. you also may want to give Hornady a try, I love their bushing system for dies, makes changing dies a snap.

                http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/s...d.php?t=764869 M1 ammo for sale

                Comment

                • #9
                  Altahick
                  Senior Member
                  • Apr 2006
                  • 2170

                  Originally posted by eckerph
                  Have you checked to see if Sportsman's warehouse has any kits? you may save on some shipping charges if they do. you also may want to give Hornady a try, I love their bushing system for dies, makes changing dies a snap.

                  http://www.midwayusa.com/eproductpag...eitemid=749997
                  i havent looked at sportsmans warehouse reloading stuff yet, but i have to be back ther on monday to pick up my gun i paid for on fri ( grrrr 7 more days ) so i am defienetly going to check out the stuff there.
                  ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

                  " Americans have the right and advantages of being armed, unlike the citizens of other countries who's governments are afraid to trust the people with arms" - James Madison

                  Comment

                  • #10
                    thmpr
                    Veteran Member
                    • Dec 2005
                    • 3785

                    Dillon reloader units....Check it out first before you make a decision. If your thinking of getting into the .224 caliber, than you want a progressive unit.
                    NRA Life Member

                    Comment

                    • #11
                      Rule .308
                      Veteran Member
                      • Oct 2005
                      • 2531

                      I was raised on RCBS stuff so that is always going to be my preference. You can never go wrong having a Rock Chucker bolted to the bench regardless of how many super dooper progressive presses you have. I have a Dillon 550 and a Square Deal B and the Rock Chucker still sees service when it comes to just proccessing brass and for hand loading varmint rounds where you do not make a ton of them and you want every single one to be as close to perfect as you can get. It seems that every manufacturer out there has at least one or two nifty little widgets that you cannot do without. The Lee Auto Prime II is one of those things, sounds like that kit you are looking at might have one. I don't care for Lee dies but their Collet Sizing dies make the straightest brass I have seen. The rest of their dies are kinda of chincey in that the use aluminum in their construction. RCBS, Redding, Forester, and Hornady all make good dies. I particularily like the Hornadies for pistol stuff. As the other guys have stated you need to find someone in your area that can give you some hands on experience. Also, check out the accurate reloading forums, do a search for them and you will find 'em. Some of the guys that frequent that board have forgotten more about reloading than your average Joe will ever know. Good luck and don't blow yourself up.

                      Mark

                      Comment

                      • #12
                        50ae
                        Senior Member
                        • Oct 2005
                        • 572

                        That kit would be an excellent start and it is something you'll always want to keep around bolted to the bench even when you upgrade to a progressive unit. Get a couple manuals and read the "How to" and "safety" sections twice each and then get an experienced reloader to help you out. After you get done doing it the slow way for a while and decide to upgrade then come back and ask some more questions about upgrading as you'll be better informed as to what you may be interested in at that point. I have a Dillon 650 and love it but I'm thinking of adding a turret press to my bench as their is a few things I would like to do slower and the Dillon is like using a full auto rifle for reloading. You just can't really sit down and load 10 rounds. In fact, I won't do anything less than 1000 at a time with it as it just isn't worth it to do so few.

                        I will say this, reloading, for me, is nearly as fun as the shooting itself.

                        Just my humble opinion, your mileage may vary
                        Proud to be a SoCal expatriate currently living in DFW, TX.

                        Comment

                        • #13
                          Altahick
                          Senior Member
                          • Apr 2006
                          • 2170

                          Originally posted by Rule .308
                          I was raised on RCBS stuff so that is always going to be my preference. You can never go wrong having a Rock Chucker bolted to the bench regardless of how many super dooper progressive presses you have. I have a Dillon 550 and a Square Deal B and the Rock Chucker still sees service when it comes to just proccessing brass and for hand loading varmint rounds where you do not make a ton of them and you want every single one to be as close to perfect as you can get. It seems that every manufacturer out there has at least one or two nifty little widgets that you cannot do without. The Lee Auto Prime II is one of those things, sounds like that kit you are looking at might have one. I don't care for Lee dies but their Collet Sizing dies make the straightest brass I have seen. The rest of their dies are kinda of chincey in that the use aluminum in their construction. RCBS, Redding, Forester, and Hornady all make good dies. I particularily like the Hornadies for pistol stuff. As the other guys have stated you need to find someone in your area that can give you some hands on experience. Also, check out the accurate reloading forums, do a search for them and you will find 'em. Some of the guys that frequent that board have forgotten more about reloading than your average Joe will ever know. Good luck and don't blow yourself up.

                          Mark
                          yeah my uncle, used to relaod a few years ago, he's no pro but he has reloaded alot of rounds so he can at least show me the basics, and how to not blow myself up thanks for the tip on checking out a reloading forum, i am going to check out some right now. thanks
                          ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

                          " Americans have the right and advantages of being armed, unlike the citizens of other countries who's governments are afraid to trust the people with arms" - James Madison

                          Comment

                          • #14
                            OldLandParkPat
                            Member
                            • Dec 2006
                            • 134

                            I have a lot of gear from different manufacturers, and they all have good and not so good.

                            On Lee dies and their factory crimp dies, they produce my the most accurate ammo.

                            One real good and important item IMO for a beginner is the LEE "Safety powder scale", and the reason I say this is because it's extremely accurate, and you CANNOT bump it out of a setting, causing an over charge. A bump will throw it out a real obvious 10 grs minimum, and if you can't notice that, probably should not reload your own.

                            What ever press you use, you have to measure your powder charge at least periodicly.

                            It locks your powder setting into place so you can't make a mistake.

                            I've got redding, RCBS, and a few other beam scales, and they all can be bumped off the setting and you don't know it. THAT is real dangerous.

                            I pretty much alway use the LEE scale, and it is as accurate as the most expensive one I own.
                            Last edited by OldLandParkPat; 12-17-2006, 2:32 AM.
                            http://www.patmarlins.com/ABOUTTIME7.jpg

                            Comment

                            • #15
                              Wulf
                              Senior Member
                              • Dec 2005
                              • 1311

                              There's a sportsman wharehouse in Rocklin now out of 65 and blue oaks. They've got a full selection of presses on display there....really the best reloading store in the area. I'd go check things out there first. The sales people dont seem ALL that knowledgable but you can at least handle the presses.

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              UA-8071174-1