Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

reloading newby, which primer to load 9mm Lugar?

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • maxit
    Member
    • Feb 2009
    • 298

    reloading newby, which primer to load 9mm Lugar?

    HI Guys,

    My plan for getting into reloading in 2009 (it may take longer): is get prices on primers, powder, and bullets. Then add up and see if I really saved more than $4.00 (which isnt even minimum wage). Then buy Lee, Speer, and Hornady books. Afterwhich buy a press on eBay, other eq, locally at Harbor Freight and local gunshops. Then have a blast, literally.

    But I am stymied finding out which primer I need? Not to mention where? But the where I can research well enough, its the which one I cant fathom; small pistol, large pistol?? I have a 9mm and a .357 to load.

    Much obliged,

    Max It
  • #2
    ar15barrels
    I need a LIFE!!
    • Jan 2006
    • 57182

    Small pistol.

    The reloading manual tells you everything you need to know.
    Randall Rausch

    AR work: www.ar15barrels.com
    Handguns: www.handgunbarrels.com
    Bolt actions: www.700barrels.com
    Foreign Semi Autos: www.akbarrels.com
    Most work done while you wait on a scheduled shop visit.

    Comment

    • #3
      Beelzy
      Calguns Addict
      • Apr 2008
      • 9225

      Small pistol for the 9mm, and small pistol "magnum" primers for the .357.

      They are hard to find, but usually the local gunstore should be able to
      round up a few hundred. I was at my local shop recently and they had primers
      and were rationing them.
      "I kill things for a living, don't make yourself one of them"

      Comment

      • #4
        ke6guj
        Moderator
        CGN Contributor - Lifetime
        • Nov 2003
        • 23725

        the books will let you know what primer, powder, bullet combo to use. But normally 9mm is just standard small pistol primers and .357mag would use small pistol magnum primers, based on my book.

        Harbor freight doesn't sell reloading presses, AFAIK.
        Jack



        Do you want an AOW or C&R SBS/SBR in CA?

        No posts of mine are to be construed as legal advice, which can only be given by a lawyer.

        Comment

        • #5
          Sideline Shooter
          Senior Member
          • Jan 2009
          • 514

          Headache saver

          Let's try to save you from some major headaches. Before you even consider reloading you need to be honest with yourself with a few questions.

          1. Do you really shoot enough now to begin reloading?
          2. Do you really have the TIME and MONEY for reloading?
          3. Do you have ample space to store and reload in peace, no distractions?
          4. You want to begin reloading at the worst time to gather components.
          I have a buddy's 30-06 brass and dies and they have been sitting here for 1 year. He doesn't have the time or the money to buy components but he still wants to do it. It's not going to happen unless I do it for him.
          I would buy ammo and keep the brass. You can store the brass until you really have the time and money or sell the brass to keep the costs of new ammo low.

          Sideline Shooter

          Comment

          • #6
            swerv512
            Veteran Member
            • Mar 2006
            • 3076

            dont forget the sierra manual as well. you made a good point to truely evaluate whether or not reloading is right for you at this moment. now's a tough time to get started with the scarcity and prices of components, but i'm sure that you'll have a blast once you start. good luck.

            Comment

            • #7
              maxit
              Member
              • Feb 2009
              • 298

              Hey Guys,
              I think it may go by the wayside. So far the only one with primers is someone down the road here who wants $65./m. By the time I buy all the components I will pay more than online for complete cartridges.
              p.s.-harbor freight has tumblers, eBay has presses, but no one has primers, bullets, and powder in good supply. Primers are worst.
              So Much obliged for the directions from all,

              Max

              Comment

              • #8
                gemoose23
                Senior Member
                • Jun 2009
                • 1079

                Originally posted by maxit
                Hey Guys,
                I think it may go by the wayside. So far the only one with primers is someone down the road here who wants $65./m. By the time I buy all the components I will pay more than online for complete cartridges.
                p.s.-harbor freight has tumblers, eBay has presses, but no one has primers, bullets, and powder in good supply. Primers are worst.
                So Much obliged for the directions from all,

                Max
                Here is a cost calculator: (I just did my current calc for my current .45acp round I am making it is running me $7.10 for 50 rounds)


                Cabelas has a couple of handgun powders in stock, just checked via their website. And for Primers they are showing 2-3 weeks backorder for Remington primers.

                So if you just order your components now.. by the time you get the rest of your gear setup, become familiar with your dies, tumbled the brass you have been collecting while shooting. Everything will arrive by the UPS truck.

                I wouldn't pay $65 for a brick of primers, actually I picked some up at a local shop, they had 200 primers left for 3.99 a box. Still a premium versus mail order, but I am able to load over this holiday weekend in anticipation on the new handgun coming home next week. I just called ahead and asked if they had any available.

                Also Maxit, if your near Sacramento area I would be happy lend a helping hand or give you some tips in person for this new hobby. I learned all my reloading stuff from books/internet and trial and error, if only I had someone near me that reloaded.. it would have sped up my learning curve as well as increased my gun purchases. Need more guns to shoot in different calibers!
                Last edited by gemoose23; 07-02-2009, 12:40 AM.
                Hornady LnL, Dillon Precision, RCBS, Lee Precision and Lyman User
                If You want Match or Leadless hunting Ammo check out Monolithic Munitions Yes I am a shill, friends with the owners.

                Comment

                • #9
                  maxit
                  Member
                  • Feb 2009
                  • 298

                  Also Maxit, if your near Sacramento area I would be happy lend a helping hand or give you some tips in person for this new hobby. I learned all my reloading stuff from books/internet and trial and error, if only I had someone near me that reloaded.. it would have sped up my learning curve as well as increased my gun purchases. Need more guns to shoot in different calibers![/QUOTE]

                  Hi Moose, Nice, however I am in the O.C. but that is what I hope for, someone to sort of guide me a bit. I am doing the same using the internet and a couple of guys at the range as mentors but no one up close.
                  Also you have renewed my desire to forge ahead.

                  Much obliged,

                  Max

                  Comment

                  Working...
                  UA-8071174-1