Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Let’s talk reloading 45ACP for the 1911

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • jsanch03
    Senior Member
    • Nov 2018
    • 925

    Let’s talk reloading 45ACP for the 1911

  • #2
    MuayThaiJJ
    Senior Member
    • Apr 2020
    • 1333

    I like 200gr coated bullets with Clays.
    FCD is a must. 45 is my favorite now


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    YouTube Channel: Nick Shoots Stuff
    Diablo Rod and Gun Club
    03-FFL and COE Holder
    CMAT GMAU

    Comment

    • #3
      TomReloaded
      Senior Member
      • Nov 2013
      • 1637

      It's really not handled any differently than loading any straight wall pistol cartridge. It does favor faster burning powders in general, but nothing crazy. Any 9mm powder is appropriate, except the slowest +p+ kinda stuff.

      I prefer wst and 200gr.

      Comment

      • #4
        jsanch03
        Senior Member
        • Nov 2018
        • 925

        Comment

        • #5
          simonp
          Senior Member
          • Oct 2005
          • 1989

          "If you have them by the balls, their hearts and minds will follow"

          Comment

          • #6
            croue
            Senior Member
            • Jan 2013
            • 1255

            WST and traditional 230 gr jacketed for me.


            Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

            Comment

            • #7
              TKM
              Onward through the fog!
              CGN Contributor
              • Jul 2002
              • 10657

              I have hundreds of pounds of lead on the balcony and dies for days.

              Coated bullets have changed all of that.

              All of the bullet makers have load data, use their bullets and their loads. Blaze away all day, wipe the soot off and have a beer.
              It's not PTSD, it's nostalgia.

              Comment

              • #8
                Old Flash
                Senior Member
                • Dec 2008
                • 1224

                My favorite is also 200gr lead SWC's, although I also use 185 SWC and 230FMJ's.
                Titegroup is my preferred powder but Bullseye and W231/HP38 are also good substitutes that I've used.

                Comment

                • #9
                  Capybara
                  CGSSA Coordinator
                  CGN Contributor
                  • Feb 2012
                  • 15650

                  Haven't tried it myself yet but I was told here and on another gun forum that the Winchester 244 powder I just scored was absolute garbage in .45 ACP but so far, I'm digging it for my 9mm loads. So avoid Winchester 244.

                  I've always felt that the .45 ACP round is probably the single most forgiving round to reload for, very flexible and forgiving, not high pressure like 9mm. So experiment and try different bullets and powders until you find what you like in your new Colt.

                  I'm boring, 230 plated RN (I have a lot of Xtremes, some Berrys) with whatever powder I have available, HP-38, Titegroup or CFE Pistol all work well for me.
                  NRA Certified Metallic Cartridge Reloading Instructor, Shotgun Instructor and Range Safety Officer

                  sigpic

                  Comment

                  • #10
                    bigbossman
                    I need a LIFE!!
                    • Dec 2012
                    • 11280

                    Same here, but I use 700x.
                    Always looking for vintage Winchester and Marlin lever action rifles. Looking to sell? Know of one for sale? Drop me a line!

                    "Give a conservative a pile of bricks and you get a beautiful city. Give a leftist a city and you get a pile of bricks."

                    Comment

                    • #11
                      XDJYo
                      Calguns Addict
                      • Apr 2012
                      • 7099

                      Small pistol primer 45 ACP is the devil!!!

                      Follow me for more 45 life hacks.
                      Les Baer 1911: Premier II w/1.5" Guarantee, Blued, No FCS, Combat Rear, F/O Front, Checkered MSH & SA Professional Double Diamond Grips
                      Springfield Armory XD-45 4" Service Model
                      Springfield Armory XD9 4" Service Model (wifes).
                      M&P 15 (Mine)

                      Comment

                      • #12
                        croue
                        Senior Member
                        • Jan 2013
                        • 1255

                        Comment

                        • #13
                          jsanch03
                          Senior Member
                          • Nov 2018
                          • 925

                          Comment

                          • #14
                            croue
                            Senior Member
                            • Jan 2013
                            • 1255

                            Only problem with spp is having to sort for it and the jamming when you miss it. No need to go magnum or anything.

                            I don't know if you've noticed, but several of the major ammunition companies are loading some of their .45 ACP ammo using Small Pistol rather than Large Pistol primers.



                            Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

                            Comment

                            • #15
                              jsanch03
                              Senior Member
                              • Nov 2018
                              • 925

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              UA-8071174-1