Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

.45 ACP case prep question

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • ERdept
    CGN/CGSSA Contributor
    CGN Contributor
    • Apr 2009
    • 4698

    .45 ACP case prep question

    So i'm starting to load .45 ACP.

    My question on primer case prep is..........

    I have the large and small primer cleaner and the flash hole cleaner.

    Do you put the pocket cleaner into every case and clean it out with that?

    Do you use the flash hole cleaner in every case as well?

    Or

    Do you use those only on cases and primer pockets that are really cruddy and let the Walnut media take care of most of it?

    I'm unsure of the order for cleaning the case/primer pockets.

    Tumble first then detail clean the primer flash hole and primer pocket.

    or

    Clean the flash hole and primer pocket and then tumble.

    What do I do?
  • #2
    FTC
    Member
    • Jun 2008
    • 329

    me personally i dont prep the 45 brass much. tumble, resize/deprime then finish the reloading process. i dont bother with the pocket cleaner or flash hole cleaner, just a quick visual.
    ------------
    luck is a meeting of preparation and opportunity

    Comment

    • #3
      M47_Dragon
      Senior Member
      • Jul 2008
      • 1263

      I usually don't do anything to the primer pocket. I tumble with spent primers still in and use the first stage of my press for depriming.

      When loading match .45 ammo, I use Federal primers. Since they are supposedly more sensitive AND I need to seat them nice and deep for my tuned revolver, I deprime, clean and brush the primer pockets and then tumble. If you tumble long enough, those primer pockets will look nice and clean.
      Originally posted by bigbob76
      I'm in the process of de-humping all my Glocks.

      Comment

      • #4
        ERdept
        CGN/CGSSA Contributor
        CGN Contributor
        • Apr 2009
        • 4698

        OK, thanks.


        It just seemed very time consuming to clean all the pocket with that screw driver looking cleaner, the all the flash holes.


        Thanks all.

        Comment

        • #5
          bohoki
          I need a LIFE!!
          • Jan 2006
          • 20826

          i never used to clean the pockets but lately i have been with the little lee pocket cleaner i dont really know if it is doing any good since knocking out a primer the other one seats in the same spot and where the old one was it is not dirty it is only full of fuzzy black where the cup wasn't

          it is not part of the procedure of a progressive and dillon has probably reloaded more 45acp than federal makes in a year

          which is why i have trouble understanding loading 223 on a progressive if you have to lube, size then trim, debur

          so what are you doing on the press really just priming charging and seating and you can do that on a single stage with a freestanding charge thrower (i guess crimping too but i have yet to see evidence that that is required these are reloads we arent going to war with them)

          decapping takes care of the hole so forget that nonsense

          Comment

          • #6
            ERdept
            CGN/CGSSA Contributor
            CGN Contributor
            • Apr 2009
            • 4698

            Double OK. Thanks members.

            Comment

            Working...
            UA-8071174-1