Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

how many people use a single stage press for 1 dedicated use?

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • California-Quigley
    Member
    • Feb 2006
    • 112

    how many people use a single stage press for 1 dedicated use?

    I have a 550b, and i am thinking about getting a used Lee or Lyman for deprime/resize for my .223... maybe a swage die as well....

    how many of you guys do this...
  • #2
    Fjold
    I need a LIFE!!
    • Oct 2005
    • 23064

    I used to but now I have a universal depriming die mounted in an extra hole in one of my turret presses.
    Last edited by Fjold; 06-23-2009, 1:24 PM.
    Frank

    One rifle, one planet, Holland's 375




    Life Member NRA, CRPA and SAF

    Comment

    • #3
      Offroader
      Member
      • Nov 2008
      • 280

      I have a XL650. I have a dedicated tool head with a universal decapping die and rapid trim 1200B I use for case preparation.
      Avatar is to honor my father's WWII commendations, includes Bronze Star

      NRA Patron Member

      Comment

      • #4
        Bongos
        Veteran Member
        • Oct 2005
        • 4095

        I have both 550B and Rock Chucker II. The RCII is dedicated to depriming and resizing rifle calibers such as 308 and 30-06. Sometimes the depriming and resizing put too much pressure on the press, it makes it hard to reload on a progressive, this way going through the single stage first makes the flow of going through a progressive a breeze and yes I know, the 550B is more for pistol caliber for this reasons

        Comment

        • #5
          ar15barrels
          I need a LIFE!!
          • Jan 2006
          • 57180

          I have a 650 dedicated to processing 223 brass.

          Randall Rausch

          AR work: www.ar15barrels.com
          Handguns: www.handgunbarrels.com
          Bolt actions: www.700barrels.com
          Foreign Semi Autos: www.akbarrels.com
          Most work done while you wait on a scheduled shop visit.

          Comment

          • #6
            emilio
            Member
            • Jun 2009
            • 393

            a single stage is always a good idea for dealing with odd calibers for which you don't want to bother with getting a full progressive conversion kit.

            i really like my Lee hand press, though i have mixed feelings on the quality of the rest of their products. the hand press makes it really easy to do brass prep while watching TV or sitting outside; i use it all the time to size and deprime .45 from the couch. it's also invaluable for ammo diagnostics or match load development, as you can bring it to the range with you to adjust OAL or powder load (if you pre-measure powder or have a wind-less place to measure).

            the press alone costs just $30 and takes standard dies, or pick up the kit to get some little accessories, including a priming arm.

            - emilio

            Comment

            • #7
              Ugly Dwarf
              Senior Member
              • Mar 2007
              • 1121

              I bought a turret press for my single stage operations (case prep and cast bullet sizing). Having four dies in one turret makes for a quick setup for many tasks.

              I also set it up to use a collet bullet puller (RCBS), but have found that turning the handle to tighten the collet makes the turret rotate and it becomes a wonky two handed operation. For THAT process, I think a single stage press would have been the better solution.

              Dwarf

              Comment

              • #8
                JF99
                Junior Member
                • Mar 2008
                • 87

                Lee Classic Cast for depriming and other misc. jobs I'd rather not do on XL650.

                One of those jobs is belling the pre-primed Federal .45 acp shells that Natchez has. The cases have a ring of sealant around the mouth that jams the **** out of the XL650 powder funnel (the sealant works a lot like super glue). A .45 acp expander die in the Lee single stage does the bell handily.

                Comment

                • #9
                  swerv512
                  Veteran Member
                  • Mar 2006
                  • 3076

                  all i have are two single stage presses......

                  Comment

                  • #10
                    Jicko
                    Calguns Addict
                    • Dec 2005
                    • 8774

                    Originally posted by California-Quigley
                    I have a 550b, and i am thinking about getting a used Lee or Lyman for deprime/resize for my .223... maybe a swage die as well....

                    how many of you guys do this...
                    1) Get RCBS RC single stage press....

                    2) Get hornady L'N'L bushing for the single stage press, and put the 223 resize die in, and use the single stage for resizing

                    2) get a cheap universal decap die for station 1 of your 550b (this is for making sure nothing in the flash hole) when you are loading
                    - LL
                    NRA Certified Firearm Instructor
                    sigpic

                    New to Calguns, check here first:
                    http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/s...ad.php?t=56818

                    Comment

                    • #11
                      mvpatriot
                      Senior Member
                      • Jan 2008
                      • 2178

                      I hAve a 650 and still use my rock chucker

                      Dillon reloading basics Vids here

                      http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/s...d.php?t=190727

                      Comment

                      • #12
                        mif_slim
                        I need a LIFE!!
                        • Apr 2008
                        • 10089

                        Originally posted by emilio
                        a single stage is always a good idea for dealing with odd calibers for which you don't want to bother with getting a full progressive conversion kit.

                        i really like my Lee hand press, though i have mixed feelings on the quality of the rest of their products. the hand press makes it really easy to do brass prep while watching TV or sitting outside; i use it all the time to size and deprime .45 from the couch. it's also invaluable for ammo diagnostics or match load development, as you can bring it to the range with you to adjust OAL or powder load (if you pre-measure powder or have a wind-less place to measure).

                        the press alone costs just $30 and takes standard dies, or pick up the kit to get some little accessories, including a priming arm.

                        - emilio

                        +1, Many people over look the "cheap" press. Its my go-to tool for my match grade bullets when I accidently do too much practice shots during matches... :P
                        Originally posted by Gottmituns
                        It's not protecting the rights of the 1%, it's IMPOSING new laws because of the 1%.

                        Comment

                        • #13
                          LGB Loader
                          Senior Member
                          • Jun 2008
                          • 727

                          I have a couple of XL650's, a 550B, a Redding T7, and a Lee Classic cast single stage and I use the heck out of all of 'em.

                          For many years, I only used a single stage so I find them invaluable.

                          LGB
                          Training in The Peaceful Art to achieve unnatural naturalness and natural unnaturalness, BEcoming WATER while serving The Great I AM.

                          John 3:16

                          Comment

                          • #14
                            Jonathan Doe

                            I use Forster press primarily for 308, and RCBS Rockchucker for 223, and Dillon Square Deal for 45 Auto.

                            Comment

                            • #15
                              C.G.
                              Calguns Addict
                              • Oct 2005
                              • 8251

                              I use my Rockchucker with a LNL bushing when developing rounds or when I don't expect to load too many rounds. For mass production I use Hornady LNL with a case feeder.
                              sigpic

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              UA-8071174-1