Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Hello I知 a new reloader

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • emtmark
    Veteran Member
    • Mar 2010
    • 2494

    Hello I知 a new reloader

    I know what this man needs.............bring me the vodka
  • #2
    tabascoz28
    Veteran Member
    • Mar 2016
    • 3364

    A picture of the setup would clear things up. Instructions should be on their web site. You'll need to weigh what comes out of the powder drop many times to confirm a consistent drop. I have never messed with primer droppers, always used my fingers even in my semi progressive, good luck.

    Comment

    • #3
      Tommy Gun
      Senior Member
      • Apr 2011
      • 806

      Only trying to give advice.

      As a new reloader you should try and stick to doing your loads in stages. A turret style progressive might be the wrong way to start as there is a lot more to it then turning the crank when you do not have expierence, but it can be done.

      I have the same press and I use it as a turret style single stage. Grab something trays and a mounted powder throw to make sure each case is filled correctly and seat bullets as you press. Take the indexing rod out and you can manually turn the plate.

      My process is to clean first and mass deprime / size and re prime and turn the plate one slot over to belll the case and put the cases in a container.

      Then place your cases head side up and throw a charge in each case, and put it back in the loading block 50 at a time. Using flashlight I check each case for consistancy (if all the same brand brass).

      Then I place a projectile on each case and then seat and crimp.

      Ya it's a longer process but attention to detail is key.

      Comment

      • #4
        Dirtlaw
        CGN/CGSSA Contributor - Lifetime
        CGN Contributor - Lifetime
        • Apr 2018
        • 3480

        Welcome to reloading!!! You have made a wise decision.

        Comment

        • #5
          pacrat
          I need a LIFE!!
          • May 2014
          • 10285

          I have a lee four station turret but the powder thrower has me a bit confused as does the primer mechanism. I bought it all in a non original box and have been discovering how things go together ever since
          Which 4-holer? They have 2 diff ones. Here's instructions.

          Value .... https://leeprecision.com/files/instruct/TP2131.pdf

          Classic .... https://leeprecision.com/files/instruct/TP1245.pdf

          Advice for novices. ,,,,,, Always start low, and work up slow.

          Comment

          • #6
            ysr_racer
            Banned
            • Mar 2006
            • 12014

            Originally posted by Tommy Gun
            .

            I have the same press and I use it as a turret style single stage. .
            Yep, agreed. Load a couple of hundred single stage first. Learn what each stage does, and how to adjust it.

            Then after you're comfortable, add in multiple stages, one at a time.

            Comment

            • #7
              Tommy Gun
              Senior Member
              • Apr 2011
              • 806

              Best thing about the 4 hole turret plates is you can buy one for each caliber and put all the dies for each on one to your specs and just switch em out.

              Loaded thousands on an actual single stage...never again haha.

              Comment

              • #8
                tabascoz28
                Veteran Member
                • Mar 2016
                • 3364

                I have 2 different 4 hole setups, the Breech Lock Pro is technically a progressive but since OP is new he may not know the difference. The turret plate that moves on top is a turret press. The shell plate moving on the bottom denotes a progressive usually.

                I learned on the precision classic and I would agree, that maybe do a batch of 20 or 50 singly before running it on all cylinders. More control and easier to fix issues.

                Comment

                • #9
                  ysr_racer
                  Banned
                  • Mar 2006
                  • 12014

                  I've heard of this thing called "a Dillon". Anybody familiar with it?

                  Comment

                  • #10
                    Revoman
                    Senior Member
                    • Dec 2007
                    • 2395

                    All good advice above, I might add however, to only go with a single round such as .38 to start. That'll get you on the road and learning how things go instead of working at 3 different loadings. Possibly too confusing for a new reloader?
                    Plus, .38 is about the easiest and most forgiving caliber that can be reloaded. Start there.

                    Comment

                    • #11
                      newbie1234
                      Veteran Member
                      • Feb 2016
                      • 3131

                      Damn, I just get back from San Jose last week, otherwise I will give you a hand.
                      I reloaded with Lee Turret Classic for a year before switch to Lee Auto Breech Lock.
                      I learn from here:


                      Last edited by newbie1234; 10-03-2021, 11:10 PM.

                      Comment

                      • #12
                        emtmark
                        Veteran Member
                        • Mar 2010
                        • 2494

                        I know what this man needs.............bring me the vodka

                        Comment

                        • #13
                          Imageview
                          Senior Member
                          • Jul 2018
                          • 1629

                          I started the exact same way. I removed the indexing rod from the turret and have never felt the need to put it back in. I prefer using a separate hand priming tool, it's easy and simple and they are available cheaply. Eventually I moved away from the powder drop and just went to weighing each load out. My setup wasn't very sturdy, leading to inconsistency in drops which was within acceptable variation but I just wanted something more precise.

                          Comment

                          • #14
                            GW
                            I need a LIFE!!
                            • May 2004
                            • 16078

                            You didn't mention a scale.
                            IMHO a scale is an absolute necessity. It will save your life.
                            That said, my initial reloading setup almost 40 years ago was a Lee 3-hole turret press, which had the ability to prime built into it, and I had an RCBS balance scale and an RCBS Uniflow powder measure.
                            I loaded thousands of 45 acp and .44 magnum on it. I tried that lee powder feed with the discs and tossed it after a few frustrating attempts
                            Now I run Dillons, but still have the Lee for working up a new load.
                            If you don't already have one, get the Lyman Reloading manual.
                            Lots of great info in it including loads for cast bullets.
                            Last, but not least, get a bullet puller for pulling the bullets out of cartridges you may not feel 100% about.

                            Remember, When in doubt, THROW IT OUT! Your gun, hands and face are all crazy expensive to fix after a hot load does its destructive thing,.
                            Good luck and have fun reloading!
                            sigpicNRA Benefactor Member

                            Comment

                            Working...
                            UA-8071174-1