Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Remington 22 HP Centerfire???

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • WartHog
    Veteran Member
    • Jan 2012
    • 4639

    Remington 22 HP Centerfire???

    Was up in Mendocino National Forest a few weeks ago camping out & celebrating my 61st b-day at a neat old Deer camp that's probably been in use for ages. Found a very old, damaged but live centerfire round that is marked REM UMC 22 HP loaded with a long .22 caliber round-nosed bullet. Tried searching and turned up no info - what'd I find and what's the cartridge's history?



    Originally posted by Sierra57
    Civil War 2.0 - If it comes to pass, the America-hating Leftists will have brought it upon themselves. I value Freedom more than their sorry lives and the form of Governance they espouse, which offers no Freedom and complete servitude to the State.
    "We have four boxes with which to defend our Freedoms: the Soap box, the Ballot box, the Jury box, and the Cartridge box" - Ed Howdershelt
  • #2
    pacrat
    I need a LIFE!!
    • May 2014
    • 10285

    22 SAVAGE High Power

    Now long gone from commercial market. But developed way back in 1912 by Chas Newton as an early high velocity varmint type cartridge.



    Hard to find bullets for reloading unless you cast. .228 diameter was weird, even back then.
    Last edited by pacrat; 08-24-2021, 12:34 AM.

    Comment

    • #3
      WartHog
      Veteran Member
      • Jan 2012
      • 4639

      .228? With a calipers, I'm measuring .2245 right where the bullet protrudes from the casing neck.
      Originally posted by Sierra57
      Civil War 2.0 - If it comes to pass, the America-hating Leftists will have brought it upon themselves. I value Freedom more than their sorry lives and the form of Governance they espouse, which offers no Freedom and complete servitude to the State.
      "We have four boxes with which to defend our Freedoms: the Soap box, the Ballot box, the Jury box, and the Cartridge box" - Ed Howdershelt

      Comment

      • #4
        Calif Hunter
        Veteran Member
        • Aug 2003
        • 3323

        People did reload that round with .224 bullets due to ignorance of the proper diameter or simply the scarcity of .228" bullets. I think the usual bullet was 70 gr at 3100 FPS. I had a nice Savage 99 takedown in .22 HP along with some CIL ammo but a really good friend just had to have it.

        If a .223 is good for deer and hogs, I imagine a .22 HP is, too.

        Comment

        • #5
          Divernhunter
          Calguns Addict
          • May 2010
          • 8753

          I have a couple different brands of new and clean cartridges for the 22HP in my collection. Kind of a neat cartridge with a very long neck
          A 30cal will reach out and touch them. A 50cal will kick their butt.
          NRA Life Member, NRA certified RSO & Basic Pistol Instructor, Hunter, shooter, reloader
          SCI, Manteca Sportsmen Club, Coalinga Rifle Club, Escalon Sportsmans Club, Waterford Sportsman Club & NAHA Member, Madison Society member

          Comment

          Working...
          UA-8071174-1