Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Component prices in the olden days

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • #16
    pacrat
    I need a LIFE!!
    • May 2014
    • 10285

    Originally posted by rromeo
    Olden days = 2019
    I started reloading in Jan of 1968, ... 53 1/2 yrs ago.

    So for me, 2019 is more YESTERDAY, than OLDEN DAYS.

    Comment

    • #17
      rromeo
      Calguns Addict
      • Sep 2009
      • 6981

      Originally posted by pacrat
      I started reloading in Jan of 1968, ... 53 1/2 yrs ago.

      So for me, 2019 is more YESTERDAY, than OLDEN DAYS.
      Sure. That is the joke I was making about the OP prices, and the mention of olden days $120 for 5,000 primers is what I paid 2 years ago.
      Never initiate force against another. That should be the underlying principle of your life. But should someone do violence to you, retaliate without hesitation, without reservation, without quarter, until you are sure that he will never wish to harm - or never be capable of harming - you or yours again.

      - from THE SECOND BOOK OF KYFHO
      (Revised Eastern Sect Edition)

      Comment

      • #18
        the86d
        Calguns Addict
        • Jul 2011
        • 9587

        8.25% TAX?
        RIDICULOUS...

        I think my first reloading purchase was for 4lbs of Unique, and 8lbs of Varget.
        I believe my total was somewheres near $200-$250, in ~2012-~2013.

        Comment

        • #19
          ar15robert
          Veteran Member
          • Sep 2002
          • 2525

          When i started primers were 8-10 bucks per thousand
          .224 projectiles 35 per thousand
          powder 20-25 per pound get lucky widenors 8 pounds for 80 bucks i think
          .45 projectiles 25-30 at gun shows 30-35 locally

          Comment

          • #20
            Calif Hunter
            Veteran Member
            • Aug 2003
            • 3323

            I have CCI large rifle primers marked 99 cents per 100. Dad used to buy Sierra bullets by the pound in a brown paper bag when they were in Santa Fe Springs. I do not recall how much powder was, but I will see if I have an old can of IMR 4064, the powder he bought for us to reload our .30-06s.

            I found a can of Green Dot marked $12.95 and a can of IMR 4831 marked $9.95.
            Last edited by Calif Hunter; 09-06-2021, 1:07 PM.

            Comment

            • #21
              pacrat
              I need a LIFE!!
              • May 2014
              • 10285

              Originally posted by Calif Hunter
              I have CCI large rifle primers marked 99 cents per 100. Dad used to buy Sierra bullets by the pound in a brown paper bag when they were in Santa Fe Springs. I do not recall how much powder was, but I will see if I have an old can of IMR 4064, the powder he bought for us to reload our .30-06s.

              I found a can of Green Dot marked $12.95 and a can of IMR 4831 marked $9.95.
              I still have a few of those "brown paper bags" holding some 210 gr 41 cal HPs. I also shot a 1/2 MOA 200 yd, 5 shot group at Silverado Gun Club using 62 gr Sierra "brown bag seconds" in the early 1980s.

              They left SF Spr in 1990. I was pissed for many years. But in retrospect, they had the sense to see the writing on the wall and GTFO of CrapOfornia before the rush.

              Comment

              • #22
                wpage
                Calguns Addict
                • Jan 2011
                • 6072

                100 years ago a 20 gold piece of one ounce of gold cost $20...

                Today $1800. and up

                Inflation my friends. Do not expect prices to EVER come down.
                God so loved the world He gave His only Son... Believe in Him and have everlasting life.
                John 3:16

                NRA,,, Lifer

                United Air Epic Fail Video ...

                https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u99Q7pNAjvg

                Comment

                • #23
                  pacrat
                  I need a LIFE!!
                  • May 2014
                  • 10285

                  Originally posted by wpage
                  100 years ago a 20 gold piece of one ounce of gold cost $20...

                  Today $1800. and up

                  Inflation my friends. Do not expect prices to EVER come down.
                  TRUE WORDS

                  I don't expect other than slight market fluctuations. I'm old, but not yet demented.

                  Comment

                  • #24
                    M1NM
                    Calguns Addict
                    • Oct 2011
                    • 7966

                    back in the real old days of the late 60s I'd go to Sierra Bullets in Whittier and buy seconds by the pound. They were about 1/3 the price of boxed retail and I never found one I didn't shoot.

                    Comment

                    • #25
                      pacrat
                      I need a LIFE!!
                      • May 2014
                      • 10285

                      Originally posted by M1NM
                      back in the real old days of the late 60s I'd go to Sierra Bullets in Whittier and buy seconds by the pound. They were about 1/3 the price of boxed retail and I never found one I didn't shoot.
                      And MOST of their SECONDS were nothing more than a small ring of extruded lead at the "tip/jacket" junction. That I flicked off with my finger nail.

                      I put a lot of venison in the freezer with their 100 gr 6mm spitzer "seconds".

                      Comment

                      • #26
                        Calif Hunter
                        Veteran Member
                        • Aug 2003
                        • 3323

                        Originally posted by pacrat
                        And MOST of their SECONDS were nothing more than a small ring of extruded lead at the "tip/jacket" junction. That I flicked off with my finger nail.

                        I put a lot of venison in the freezer with their 100 gr 6mm spitzer "seconds".
                        Yep Sometimes the lead tip looked like a nipple, or had a slightly bent lead tip. Nothing that could not easily be corrected. It was in the 60s and early 70s that my Dad was stopping there. He was buying 125 or 150 gr .308 bullets for our .30-06s. We shot a lot of jack rabbits out by Jawbone Canyon and other spots with those 125 gr Sierras.

                        Comment

                        • #27
                          CamW
                          Senior Member
                          • Oct 2005
                          • 1711

                          I went to Sierra when a friend told me they had seconds .30 cal 147 FMJ's .
                          The guy asked me how many pounds I wanted, I replied how much you got?
                          He asked what are you driving?, I pointed to the El Camino in the parking lot.
                          He stated "I could break the springs on your truck, so how many pounds do you want?"
                          I ended up getting 100 pounds, I still have some of them in the garage.

                          Comment

                          • #28
                            ar15barrels
                            I need a LIFE!!
                            • Jan 2006
                            • 57178

                            Originally posted by TimRB
                            Whenever I buy reloading components I buy a lot, so it has been a long time since I have bought anything, and I still have enough to last several years. That said, it's been long enough that I don't remember what a "normal" price might be. For example, as I recall powder used to be something around $25/lb and primers also about 25 bucks a thousand. A brick of .22LR was under $20. I may not be remembering these things correctly, but I would appreciate hearing what people think prices will be when (if?) everything cools off.

                            Tim
                            I still have some federal 22LR 550 packs that were $7.97 in the early 2000's.
                            Randall Rausch

                            AR work: www.ar15barrels.com
                            Handguns: www.handgunbarrels.com
                            Bolt actions: www.700barrels.com
                            Foreign Semi Autos: www.akbarrels.com
                            Most work done while you wait on a scheduled shop visit.

                            Comment

                            • #29
                              capitol
                              Veteran Member
                              • Oct 2005
                              • 2503

                              Comment

                              • #30
                                VictorFranko
                                I need a LIFE!!
                                • Jan 2010
                                • 13737

                                I started reloading metallic in 1980 and probably 1981 for shot shell.
                                If I could remember prices it would probably just piss y'all off so maybe it's a good thing I can't remember.

                                "Attention K-Mart shoppers, we have a Blue Light Special on Remington 44 Magnum ammunition in the sporting goods section for the next ten minutes" (Remembrance inspired by Capitol's "Gemco' picture above)

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                UA-8071174-1