Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

First time loading some 8mm Mauser. Question.

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • desertrider
    Senior Member
    • Jul 2007
    • 1465

    First time loading some 8mm Mauser. Question.

    I've read that 8x57 Mauser milsurps favor full power loads with 196gr fmj for best accuracy.

    I've been shooting milsurp corrosive ammo for years and finally decided to roll my own. I plan on doing some full power loads, but I'm really interested in finding some accurate mouse fart loads also.

    Does anyone here have experience with Hornady 150gr SP bullets? I'm thinking about trying some charged on the weak side.

    I obviously don't want squibs, but I'm thinking that 1 ~2grn below the minimum loads should be safe to experiment with, or am I just asking for trouble?

    I'll be reviewing all my load books to compare recipes and load a variety to test.

    On hand I've got Hornady 150gr SP, Hornady 196gr BTHP, and some SMK 200gr BTHP.

    Powders on hand are IMR4320, IMR4895, H335, RL15, and Varget.
  • #2
    OpenSightsOnly
    Senior Member
    • Sep 2009
    • 1557

    I load for 100 or 200 yard steel plates using 198 grain bullets.

    I have used the same powders as you have.

    Buy Sierra or Hornady manual - what you are asking is found in the manual

    Comment

    • #3
      tabascoz28
      Veteran Member
      • Mar 2016
      • 3364

      I think that should be fine but it wouldn't be historical nor would it perform like you're used to. But if kick and pow is all you want it should be ok. I'm about to take out of jail an Ishapore 7.62 Nato tomorrow and loading my normal low powered stuff.

      I'm assuming Bolt Action? In which case I would load it up a bit low and shoot all day.

      Comment

      • #4
        kcheung2
        Veteran Member
        • Aug 2012
        • 4387

        I've used 150 gr projectiles and they work fine. Using H380 and IMR4064, I found that mid range loads were the most accurate.

        8mm Mauser cases are pretty big, and with most powders there's about a 5-6 grain range from the recommended min to max charge. That's a pretty large range to experiment with. So I'm not sure why you feel your only options are to either load near max, or 2 grains below min.
        ---------------------
        "There is no "best." If there was, everyone here would own that one, and no other." - DSB

        Comment

        • #5
          tabascoz28
          Veteran Member
          • Mar 2016
          • 3364

          I'd save that good powder for my accurate rounds too. If you're just plinking I'd use the bare minimum too. I shoot 4 different 308s and they have to cycle in 2 semis so they have to be midrange.

          Comment

          • #6
            desertrider
            Senior Member
            • Jul 2007
            • 1465

            Originally posted by OpenSightsOnly

            Buy Sierra or Hornady manual - what you are asking is found in the manual
            I've got a good selection of manuals and have looked through all. The current Sierra edition omitted 8x57, but I have a 1985 edition that gives loads for 150gr SP with 4895 and 4320.


            Originally posted by tabascoz28
            I'm assuming Bolt Action? In which case I would load it up a bit low and shoot all day.
            Yup, Yugo M48 milsurp. I've shot nothing but full power milsurp ammo for twenty one years through it. Finally decided to reload for it and want some soft shooting loads for a change.


            Originally posted by kcheung2
            8mm Mauser cases are pretty big, and with most powders there's about a 5-6 grain range from the recommended min to max charge. That's a pretty large range to experiment with. So I'm not sure why you feel your only options are to either load near max, or 2 grains below min.

            I should have been more clear in my OP. I intend to use all three bullet weights in a variety of loads to test, but in addition to those I'd like to experiment with some very low powered rounds to see if they are successful.


            Originally posted by desertrider
            I've been shooting milsurp corrosive ammo for years and finally decided to roll my own. I plan on doing some full power loads, but I'm really interested in finding some accurate mouse fart loads also.


            Powders on hand are IMR4320, IMR4895, H335, RL15, and Varget.
            Originally posted by tabascoz28
            I'd save that good powder for my accurate rounds too. If you're just plinking I'd use the bare minimum too. I shoot 4 different 308s and they have to cycle in 2 semis so they have to be midrange.
            ^^^ This also. If I can find a reasonably accurate low powered load for plinking, my powder will go farther and save me some cash to boot.

            Thanks for the replies fellas. Hopefully I'll find the time to roll some this weekend.

            Comment

            • #7
              kcheung2
              Veteran Member
              • Aug 2012
              • 4387

              If you're talking about Sierra #6, the data is actually in the back under Legacy Data. Probably the same stuff as your 1985 copy though.
              ---------------------
              "There is no "best." If there was, everyone here would own that one, and no other." - DSB

              Comment

              • #8
                Toxic Shock
                Member
                • Dec 2012
                • 162

                If you want plinking loads, why not looking into cast bullets? The 8x57 is actually an excellent cast bullet cartridge. There's a shortage of bullet molds right now, (along with everything else), but gas checked/sized/lubed cast bullets are available from multiple vendors. This is a less expensive way to get those practice and plinking rounds. Powder coated cast bullets are also available if you'd rather not deal with lube. Lots of reloading information is also on the web.

                Comment

                • #9
                  desertrider
                  Senior Member
                  • Jul 2007
                  • 1465

                  Originally posted by kcheung2
                  If you're talking about Sierra #6, the data is actually in the back under Legacy Data. Probably the same stuff as your 1985 copy though.
                  Well, lookit that. I've had the book about two years and never bothered to look at the Legacy section. Thanks.





                  Originally posted by Toxic Shock
                  If you want plinking loads, why not look into cast bullets? The 8x57 is actually an excellent cast bullet cartridge. There's a shortage of bullet molds right now, (along with everything else), but gas checked/sized/lubed cast bullets are available from multiple vendors. This is a less expensive way to get those practice and plinking rounds. Powder coated cast bullets are also available if you'd rather not deal with lube. Lots of reloading information is also on the web.
                  Obviously I need to expand my reloading horizon.

                  I've shot lead bullets through revolvers, but was afraid that the higher velocities of rifle rounds would result in excessive leading of the barrel. I don't mind cleaning, but I don't want to work at cleaning.

                  Plinking rounds are exactly what I'm looking for, so I'll check out cast as well as powder coated. Thanks for the suggestion!

                  Comment

                  • #10
                    OpenSightsOnly
                    Senior Member
                    • Sep 2009
                    • 1557

                    The 200 gr SMK data is the same as Sierra #5 manual.

                    Comment

                    • #11
                      NapalmCheese
                      Calguns Addict
                      • Feb 2011
                      • 5958

                      Originally posted by desertrider
                      I'd like to experiment with some very low powered rounds to see if they are successful.
                      Originally posted by Toxic Shock
                      If you want plinking loads, why not looking into cast bullets? The 8x57 is actually an excellent cast bullet cartridge. There's a shortage of bullet molds right now, (along with everything else), but gas checked/sized/lubed cast bullets are available from multiple vendors. This is a less expensive way to get those practice and plinking rounds. Powder coated cast bullets are also available if you'd rather not deal with lube. Lots of reloading information is also on the web.


                      Red Dot is my preferred powder for such ventures. Please note that at about 13 grains of Red Dot (give or take) you will have low velocity loads, but not necessarily low pressure.

                      While not 8 Mauser, I use about 5.5 grains of Red Dot behind 165 grain plain base cast lead bullets in .30-30 for enjoyable shooting to about 100 yards.
                      Calguns.net, where everyone responding to your post is a Navy Force Delta Recon 6 Sniperator.

                      Comment

                      • #12
                        desertrider
                        Senior Member
                        • Jul 2007
                        • 1465

                        NapalmCheese, thank you! Great info in that link.

                        Comment

                        • #13
                          yoteassasin
                          Veteran Member
                          • Mar 2006
                          • 2686

                          The Nosler BT shoot well out of my 24/47

                          Comment

                          • #14
                            SkatinJJ
                            Senior Member
                            • May 2008
                            • 735

                            Hodgdon has a web page for their powders and cartridges also. I cross reference loads for giggles (safety):


                            Originally posted by gravedigger
                            Haven't you ever had anything nag at you to the point you can no longer ignore it?

                            Comment

                            • #15
                              For54
                              Junior Member
                              • Apr 2014
                              • 67

                              2 grain under minimum published load data are doable in my book with IMR4895 and Varget. Might start burning dirty if you start going less.

                              I tend to load midrange loads with 150, 170 and 200 Speer HotCor with whichever powder i have available that has published data. I find that lighter bullets have a POI closer to the iron sights on the M48. Whereas all the milsurp ammo would shoot 18" higher.

                              For reduced loads...13 grains of Red Dot, also known as 'The load' is a good plinking round with any bullet, cast or FMJ.

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              UA-8071174-1