are all 9mm projectiles.355 or is some of it .356? I got a notice that a supplier has .356 available but I dont want to send a .356 down a .355 barrel if it will cause damage
Unconfigured Ad Widget
Collapse
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
9mm diameter
Collapse
X
-
It takes a lot of balls to play golf the way I do.
Happiness is a warm gun.
MLC, First 3 -
it would be customary for the cast lead projectiles to be .356 or larger.Calguns.net, where everyone responding to your post is a Navy Force Delta Recon 6 Sniperator.Comment
-
Remember, there is no absolute with dimensions. There are always tolerances to be factored in.Let us not pray to be sheltered from dangers but to be fearless when facing them. - Rabindranath Tagore
A mind all logic is like a knife all blade. It makes the hand bleed that uses it. - Rabindranath Tagore
Talent hits a target no one else can hit. Genius hits a target no one else can see. - Arthur SchopenhaurComment
-
If it's plated, or cast, using a .357 bullet would not be harmful, and would probably good for it. I have 2 different brands of US made 9mm barrels, and they run .356+ for 8 barrels. FN HiPower barrels will probably be close to .357+. The only barrel I have that runs close to the nominal .355" is a Rock Island barrel.
Using a jacketed .356 bullet would also be fine. That's what I've been using since it was all I could find, and it simplifies loading by using the same bullets as my 38 Super.Comment
-
My Ruger 9mm barrel slugs .357". With lead projectiles, I cast them .001" over. .355 gives me poor accuracy in my particular gun. If that is what my moulds drop, powder coating fattens them up enough to work well.
With bullets and barrels, size is king.If we lose freedom here, there is no place to escape to. This is the last stand on earth. - Ronald ReaganComment
-
Jacketed 0.357" bullets have been shot down 9mm Lugers since the cartridge first hit the shores of the US, and I have never had a gun that was sensitive to 0.001" bullet diameter.
Besides, you start at the start load and work up, so even if there was some pressure effect, which I haven't seen after nearly 50 years of shooting 0.357" jacketed bullets in all my 9mm Lugers, it would be just like any other load work up.
You see, when I start loading 9mm Luger in the early '70s, 9mm Luger was NOT popular (It took the S&W M59 to really start folks buying and shooting 9mm—the M39 started it, but an affordable hi-capacity S&W really got things going). Back then, I found more .38 Super cases than 9mm cases at the range. There were no 0.355" bullets at the local gun stores (and no internet to order online), so everyone who didn't want to shoot 130gn 0.356" .38 Super bullets used 0.357" .38 bullets and all were happy. Today, apparently, youth are reinventing everything including history and they all know better than their elders.Comment
-
Unless it’s a glock because lead bullets of any size will break a glock.Comment
-
That might have been a crimping issue. Tighter chambers might require that you get all of the flare out of the case.Last edited by Mayor McRifle; 12-22-2020, 5:49 AM.Anchors Aweigh
sigpicComment
Calguns.net Statistics
Collapse
Topics: 1,868,854
Posts: 25,152,472
Members: 358,862
Active Members: 5,763
Welcome to our newest member, 1776 Arms.
What's Going On
Collapse
There are currently 12682 users online. 84 members and 12598 guests.
Most users ever online was 239,041 at 10:39 PM on 02-14-2026.

Comment