Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

308 Win IMR4895 Powder

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • DueceMcGurk
    Senior Member
    • Jul 2016
    • 884

    308 Win IMR4895 Powder

    Beginning to reload 308 for my new bolt gun. Anyone have experience with 168 Sierra Match Kings over IMR 4895? Will start out target shooting at 100 yds. to zero the rifle.

    Thanks.
  • #2
    kevins750
    Senior Member
    • Feb 2013
    • 1376

    That is a very popular combo.
    "To compel a man to furnish funds for the propagation of ideas he disbelieves and abhors is sinful and tyrannical." Thomas Jefferson
    NRA+CRPA member

    "Get yourself a Glock and lose that nickel plated sissy pistol" -------Deputy Samuel Gerard

    Comment

    • #3
      golfish
      I need a LIFE!!
      • Mar 2013
      • 10127

      Duece, just curious what the twist rate is on your barrel?
      It takes a lot of balls to play golf the way I do.
      Happiness is a warm gun.

      MLC, First 3

      Comment

      • #4
        DueceMcGurk
        Senior Member
        • Jul 2016
        • 884

        Golf,
        Howa 1500 308. 1:10 twist.

        Comment

        • #5
          Paseclipse
          CGN/CGSSA Contributor
          • Jul 2011
          • 1246

          4198 pushing a 168 gr SMK is a classic hand load.

          Here's a good article that's for the M14 but will also work for pretty much anything-



          If your rifle doesn't shoot the load Zediker writes about in this publication, then there's something wrong with your rifle.

          Comment

          • #6
            Shab21
            Member
            • Apr 2013
            • 291

            I looked at my old recipe book and out of my bolt action SSG3000 my load was:

            168 MK @ 43.2 gr.

            Comment

            • #7
              slamfire1
              Banned
              • Aug 2015
              • 794

              IMR 4895 was the powder used in the development of the T65 cartridge and as such, is an excellent choice for the cartridge. (I found data where IMR 3031 was also used, but I think they started with IMR 4895 because that's what they were using in the Garand during WW2) One of the things I liked about IMR 4895 was that it has a wide "sweet spot"

              A bud of mine fired this 20 round group in a 100 yard reduced NRA across the course match. This was fired, prone, with irons, single loaded.



              Accurate Arms 2495 is Accurate Arms copy of IMR 4895, but stupidly AA calls it something different.

              I did this in one match, with irons, prone with a sling.



              This load, a 168 Match bullet, with 39.0 grains of IMR 4895, was popular as a 200 yard standing and sitting rapid fire load. It is obviously, very accurate, and did not kick a lot.

              As a general rule, for distances greater than 200 yard paper punching, a 168 grain bullet with 40.5 grs IMR 4895 is a full pressure load in a new barrel. As the mileage increased on my match barrels, I would end up at 41.5 grs IMR 4895. I do not recommend increasing above this as the probability of a pierced primer and sticking case increases. The most common M1a load at an across the course match was a 168 SMK with 40.5 to 41.5 grains IMR 4895, OAL 2.8".

              Comment

              • #8
                highpower790
                Veteran Member
                • Jun 2013
                • 3481

                Depending on the distance and time of year, my loads were 39-43gr using LC match brass and smk 168/175.
                Keep it simple!

                Comment

                • #9
                  FLIGHT762
                  Veteran Member
                  • Mar 2009
                  • 3072

                  Originally posted by Paseclipse
                  4198 pushing a 168 gr SMK is a classic hand load.
                  You have you powder numbers jumbled. 4198 is a bit too fast for the 168.

                  Comment

                  • #10
                    DueceMcGurk
                    Senior Member
                    • Jul 2016
                    • 884

                    Thanks guys.
                    This gives me a good 4895 powder range to build a load. Have new Hornady match brass. Already full length sized. Will break-in the rifle and use the fire formed brass for reloading.

                    Starting test load will be:
                    168 SMK
                    39.0 gr 4895
                    2.800 OAL

                    Will work up in 0.5 gr increments from there.

                    Excited to shoot this caliber. Thanks again. Be safe.
                    Last edited by DueceMcGurk; 09-19-2020, 4:25 PM.

                    Comment

                    • #11
                      golfish
                      I need a LIFE!!
                      • Mar 2013
                      • 10127

                      Originally posted by DueceMcGurk
                      Thanks guys.
                      This gives me a good 4895 powder range to build a load. Have new Hornady match brass. Already full length sized. Will break-in the rifle and use the fire formed brass for reloading.

                      Starting test load will be:
                      168 SMK
                      39.0 gr 4895
                      2.800 OAL

                      Will work up in 0.5 gr increments from there.

                      Excited to shoot this caliber. Thanks again. Be safe.
                      Please let me know how this works for ya.
                      I fixed your OAL
                      It takes a lot of balls to play golf the way I do.
                      Happiness is a warm gun.

                      MLC, First 3

                      Comment

                      • #12
                        DueceMcGurk
                        Senior Member
                        • Jul 2016
                        • 884

                        Thanks Golf,
                        That is twice this weekend that I have said "1.800" regarding that load.

                        Comment

                        • #13
                          five.five-six
                          CGN Contributor
                          • May 2006
                          • 34928

                          I’m actually considering switching over to 4895 from varget because varget is such a PITA to meter and find.

                          I load 168 SMKs as well

                          Comment

                          • #14
                            Shab21
                            Member
                            • Apr 2013
                            • 291

                            4895 was better out of my bolt than Varget

                            Comment

                            • #15
                              Shab21
                              Member
                              • Apr 2013
                              • 291

                              I also use h4895 for my 6Dasher loads instead of Varget.

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              UA-8071174-1