Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Lube with carbide dies?

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • #31
    slamfire1
    Banned
    • Aug 2015
    • 794

    I got tired of powder bumping out of the Dillion powder horn when reloading 9mm on my Dillion 550B. I use carbide dies, but 9mm must have some sort of a flare, or chamber expansion, that made sizing stiff. Once I lubed the 9mm cases, sizing was almost effortless. And that was true of the longer pistol cartridges, such as 44 Spl, 44 Magnum, and 45 LC.

    I left the lube on and fired them lubed. Worked even better in my 9mm's as function and ejection were improved.

    Comment

    • #32
      protohyp
      Vendor/Retailer
      • Sep 2014
      • 3349

      Originally posted by ysr_racer
      A gentleman always uses lube.
      THANKS YSR...my screen really needed coffee all over it!
      MESSAGE ME FOR ARMAGLOCK COUPON CODES!!!!
      3 kits at 200.00
      4 kits at 250.00


      MANTIS BLACKBEARD X AFFILIATE LINK https://mantisx.idevaffiliate.com/id...id=528&url=172

      DRYFIREMAG AFFILIATE LINK https://www.dryfiremag.com/?ref=Protohyp

      Comment

      • #33
        Donny1
        Senior Member
        • Jun 2010
        • 2349

        Everything in life is better with lubrication.

        Comment

        • #34
          bubbapug1
          Calguns Addict
          • Nov 2008
          • 7958

          Originally posted by Cowboy T
          I use several models of Lee presses, and all my dies are likewise Lee. All my handgun dies are the carbide sets. You do not have to use case lube with carbide dies, and indeed, that's kind of the point of buying carbide dies.

          However, with .45 Colt and .44 Magnum, there's enough contact surface, and the cases are long enough, that I do notice that pulling the handle is rather easier with a little Hornady One-Shot. You don't need much, and for that reason, you don't have to cover the entire case with the lube. Again, it is definitely not required to do so. Were I reloading, say, .460 S&W Magnum or .500 S&W Magnum, I'd certainly use a bit of One-Shot to help out with the friction. But those are really big handgun cases.

          With .38/357, 9mm, and .45 ACP, I don't bother.
          I love America for the rights and freedoms we used to have.

          Comment

          • #35
            hermosabeach
            I need a LIFE!!
            • Feb 2009
            • 19849

            Straight wall pistol - no lube with carbide

            Any rifle or anything with a reduced case neck / shoulder - lube
            Rule 1- ALL GUNS ARE ALWAYS LOADED

            Rule 2 -NEVER LET THE MUZZLE COVER ANYTHING YOU ARE NOT PREPARED TO DESTROY (including your hands and legs)

            Rule 3 -KEEP YOUR FINGER OFF THE TRIGGER UNTIL YOUR SIGHTS ARE ON THE TARGET

            Rule 4 -BE SURE OF YOUR TARGET AND WHAT IS BEYOND IT
            (thanks to Jeff Cooper)

            Comment

            • #36
              C.G.
              Calguns Addict
              • Oct 2005
              • 8251

              Originally posted by ysr_racer
              A gentleman always uses lube.
              Only a gentleman who is bad at it.
              sigpic

              Comment

              • #37
                bigbossman
                I need a LIFE!!
                • Dec 2012
                • 11281

                I've never had to lube straight walled pistol cases for sizing in carbide dies, and I've never had much resistance when sizing. From .380 to 44 mag, I just clean and load.
                Always looking for vintage Winchester and Marlin lever action rifles. Looking to sell? Know of one for sale? Drop me a line!

                "Give a conservative a pile of bricks and you get a beautiful city. Give a leftist a city and you get a pile of bricks."

                Comment

                • #38
                  BigBronco also not a Cabinetguy
                  Calguns Addict
                  • Jul 2009
                  • 7079

                  .41 mag .44 mag and .45LC I use lube
                  "Life is a long song" Jethro Tull

                  Comment

                  • #39
                    Cowboy T
                    Calguns Addict
                    • Mar 2010
                    • 5725

                    Originally posted by C.G.
                    Only a gentleman who is bad at it.
                    Or a gentleman with less-than-optimal aim. ;-)

                    Originally posted by bigbossman
                    I've never had to lube straight walled pistol cases for sizing in carbide dies, and I've never had much resistance when sizing. From .380 to 44 mag, I just clean and load.
                    Bigbossman is correct; you don't have to do so with carbide dies. The only value-add here is a bit of easier pulling of the handle with the larger handgun cases, and nothing more. Even then, I've done plenty of .45 Colt in the past without lube, and it works just fine. If it weren't as easy and quick as it is to spray the One-Shot on the cases (it takes maybe one second), I wouldn't bother at all.
                    "San Francisco Liberal With A Gun"
                    F***ing with people's heads, one gun show at a time. Hallelujah!
                    http://www.sanfranciscoliberalwithagun.com (reloading info w/ videos)
                    http://www.liberalsguncorner.com (podcast)
                    http://www.youtube.com/sfliberal (YouTube channel)
                    ----------------------------------------------------
                    To be a true Liberal, you must be 100% pro-Second Amendment. Anything less is inconsistent with liberalism.

                    Comment

                    • #40
                      Calif Hunter
                      Veteran Member
                      • Aug 2003
                      • 3326

                      Originally posted by ironhorse1
                      The only cases that I lube with carbide dies are for the .30 carbine. They are really a workout to size. Yes they are a pistol caliber too.

                      After I just wipe the case with a cloth. No need to lube any other pistol cases with carbide unless you just want to do extra work.

                      irh
                      Me, too. The carbine case is actually tapered a bit and most die manufacturers say to lube the cases for that round. I believe the older Winchester rounds like .32-20, .38-40 and .44-40 are the same.

                      Comment

                      • #41
                        bigbossman
                        I need a LIFE!!
                        • Dec 2012
                        • 11281

                        Originally posted by Calif Hunter
                        ....I believe the older Winchester rounds like .32-20, .38-40 and .44-40 are the same.
                        These calibers are not tapered..... they are a true bottleneck, with the 44-40 being mildest of the four. All can be reloaded without lube, but the 32-20 and especially the 25-20 have very thin fragile case mouths and benefit greatly from lubrication.
                        Always looking for vintage Winchester and Marlin lever action rifles. Looking to sell? Know of one for sale? Drop me a line!

                        "Give a conservative a pile of bricks and you get a beautiful city. Give a leftist a city and you get a pile of bricks."

                        Comment

                        • #42
                          Dave Hill
                          Member
                          • Sep 2018
                          • 201

                          Lube makes The procedure easier.

                          Comment

                          • #43
                            bigbossman
                            I need a LIFE!!
                            • Dec 2012
                            • 11281

                            Originally posted by Dave Hill
                            Lube makes The procedure easier.
                            I'm sure it does...... I'm just not sure how much easier sizing pistol brass could be than it already is with carbide dies. Especially 9mm, .38, and .45. There is very little resistance as-is.
                            Always looking for vintage Winchester and Marlin lever action rifles. Looking to sell? Know of one for sale? Drop me a line!

                            "Give a conservative a pile of bricks and you get a beautiful city. Give a leftist a city and you get a pile of bricks."

                            Comment

                            • #44
                              the86d
                              Calguns Addict
                              • Jul 2011
                              • 9591

                              Last edited by the86d; 09-02-2020, 10:54 AM.

                              Comment

                              • #45
                                ar15barrels
                                I need a LIFE!!
                                • Jan 2006
                                • 57182

                                Originally posted by the86d
                                That's a shouldered rifle die.
                                Straight wall cartridges don't need to be lubed in carbide dies.
                                Randall Rausch

                                AR work: www.ar15barrels.com
                                Handguns: www.handgunbarrels.com
                                Bolt actions: www.700barrels.com
                                Foreign Semi Autos: www.akbarrels.com
                                Most work done while you wait on a scheduled shop visit.

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                UA-8071174-1