Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Dillon xl650 primer modification

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • smeg
    Senior Member
    • Oct 2006
    • 941

    Dillon xl650 primer modification

    The only gripe that I have with the Dillon xl650 is that primer system will advance every time the handle is cycled. Invariably there will times that you need to reset or want to use pre-primed cases, etc. In this situation, if there are primers in the tube, it will continue to cycle new primers through even if you do not want them. Not really a big deal but creates extra work. Other than this factor, I actually like the xl650 primer system more than the 550b system.

    Probably the main difference between the 650 and the newer 750, is the 750 changed the primer system back to the 550b type.

    Well there is an aftermarket modification that is sold on ebay that is called something like 650 primer switch. Very simple in concept and design and 100% flawless in function. Simply push to the right to 'switch on"-primer functions as usual. Push to the left to "switch off"-primer system pauses. Solidly built and uses a ball detent to snap in on/off positions. Installs in 2 minutes, if you take your time.

    By far my favorite mod for the 650.

    Last edited by smeg; 08-01-2020, 1:51 PM.
  • #2
    BIZERKO
    Junior Member
    • Mar 2018
    • 12

    Agreed, installed one on my XL650 a few months ago. Best upgrade I've made, worth every penny.

    Comment

    • #3
      anyracoon
      Veteran Member
      • May 2006
      • 3704

      Got a link to which one you bought?

      Comment

      • #4
      • #5
        sirgrumps
        Veteran Member
        • Apr 2009
        • 2500

        One of many mods that are highly recommended for a 650.
        Snowshooze, the eBay Op, makes a lot of good stuff.

        The case feed stop switch,
        The Roto-cam actuator,
        Roller cam follower.

        Also there is a few different mods for spend primers, one of my biggest peeves.
        ?The constitutional right to bear arms in public for self-defense is not a ?second-class right,? subject to an entirely different body of rules than the other Bill of Rights guarantees.? ?.. "We know of no other constitutional rights that an individual may exercise only after demonstrating to government officers some special need."
        - Justice Clarence Thomas

        Comment

        • #6
          smeg
          Senior Member
          • Oct 2006
          • 941

          oh ya, I forgot about the spent primers falling out. I did the mod using a shell case and the stock primer cup plate. I used a .44 mag case and appropriate sized clear tubing. No more spent primers everywhere.

          Comment

          • #7
            bruce381
            Senior Member
            • Feb 2009
            • 2453

            I just un bolt the stock piece when I want to run no primers and that way I will tend to see the thing is NOT back on when I need primers, afraid of NOT priming cases then finding powder all over.

            Comment

            • #8
              bhilliker@comcast.net
              Senior Member
              • Mar 2012
              • 747

              Wow---that was my whole gripe with the 650 which is why I bought a 750. Oh well---I'm happy with the 750 however changing for primer size on the 750 takes longer than changing on the 650. Oh well---I like the 750

              Comment

              • #9
                MarikinaMan
                Veteran Member
                • Nov 2015
                • 4864

                I like it. Its not on there today. Will be looking out for it.

                Comment

                • #10
                  sirgrumps
                  Veteran Member
                  • Apr 2009
                  • 2500

                  Originally posted by MarikinaMan
                  I like it. Its not on there today. Will be looking out for it.
                  Try here https://uniquetek.com/product/T1703

                  They have a bunch of Snowshooze's Dillon 650 enhancements, plus a lot of other cool stuff

                  Looks like he still has them
                  Last edited by sirgrumps; 08-06-2020, 8:39 AM.
                  ?The constitutional right to bear arms in public for self-defense is not a ?second-class right,? subject to an entirely different body of rules than the other Bill of Rights guarantees.? ?.. "We know of no other constitutional rights that an individual may exercise only after demonstrating to government officers some special need."
                  - Justice Clarence Thomas

                  Comment

                  • #11
                    smeg
                    Senior Member
                    • Oct 2006
                    • 941

                    Originally posted by bhilliker@comcast.net
                    Wow---that was my whole gripe with the 650 which is why I bought a 750. Oh well---I'm happy with the 750 however changing for primer size on the 750 takes longer than changing on the 650. Oh well---I like the 750

                    Comment

                    • #12
                      MarikinaMan
                      Veteran Member
                      • Nov 2015
                      • 4864

                      Originally posted by sirgrumps
                      Try here https://uniquetek.com/product/T1703

                      They have a bunch of Snowshooze's Dillon 650 enhancements, plus a lot of other cool stuff

                      Looks like he still has them
                      https://www.ebay.com/itm/Dillon-Prim...4AAOSwX0xbTmT~
                      awesome. thanks!

                      Comment

                      Working...
                      UA-8071174-1