Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

CCI Primers?

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • what2be
    Senior Member
    • Apr 2008
    • 597

    CCI Primers?

    Can someone please explain why people keep telling me CCI primers are bad and to stay away from them? I know CCI isnt synomous with quality, but a few of my reloading friends told me to not use them for reloading.

    And while trying to do a search on here for CCI Primers, I ran across alot of posts with people either selling CCI primers or wanting to trade them off.

    Are they only good for plinking stuff or are they fine and im coming across some FUD?

    I still dont understand how a primer really matters much. I was under the impression as long as it went bang you were fine, but I guess if they have varying degrees of igniting the powder then maybe there is a difference in them?
  • #2
    Experimentalist
    Banned in Amsterdam
    CGN Contributor - Lifetime
    • May 2006
    • 1171

    In my limited experience CCI primers tend to be "harder" (more mechanically resistant to deformation) than similar primers from other manufacturers.

    In the worst case this increased hardness can result in misfires.
    "An unarmed man can only flee from evil. And evil is not overcome by fleeing from it" - Col. Jeff Cooper

    "Shot placement trumps all."

    Originally posted by CSACANNONEER
    Who uses 9mm for SD? Anything less than a 50BMG is stupid to use. Personally, I prefer canister rounds out of a 10lb Parrott rifle for SD.

    Comment

    • #3
      Ahhnother8
      Senior Member
      • Feb 2007
      • 1454

      Many of the best long-range shooters in the world use CCI primers. Anyone wanting to "dump" 20-50,000 CCI BR primers, just let me know.

      Lane
      2007 U.S. Palma Team
      2008 U.S. National Team
      2009 U.S. National Team

      Comment

      • #4
        J-cat
        Calguns Addict
        • May 2005
        • 6626

        Your reloading friends are ignorant.

        Comment

        • #5
          sgtbuck
          Senior Member
          • Feb 2009
          • 604

          When I started reloading 223 I was told by many reloaders and Lee corp to only use cci primers. So that's what I use (when I can find them) and neverr had an issue or miss fire from them.

          Comment

          • #6
            NRAhighpowershooter
            Super Moderator
            CGN Contributor - Lifetime
            • Jun 2003
            • 6485

            Other than my Service Rifle OLL in which I use Wolf primers. I use nothing but CCI in my match rifles, Varmint rigs, and handguns. I only recently switched to Wolf in my Service Rifle because I was given 10K of them and they showed a slight increase in accuracy, but before that I had used CCI in my Service Rifle for 10yrs. I've also never had a misfire using CCI primers..weather they were CCI200's, 400's, BR-2' or BR-4's, SP or LP primers either.
            'Just Don't Point, Squint, and Laugh! '

            Distinguished Rifleman Badge #2220

            Comment

            • #7
              ivanimal
              Janitors assistant
              CGN Contributor - Lifetime
              • Sep 2002
              • 14365

              CCI primes for 20 years without issues. Find new more informed friends here!
              "I would kill for a Nobel peace prize." Steven Wright"
              Board Member CGSSA Donate now!
              NRA lifetime member

              Comment

              • #8
                cassius
                Banned
                • Mar 2009
                • 449

                hwomever is telling you this is pulling your leg, or simply parroting some line of BS that was told to them.
                There's nothing wrong with CCI primers. They've been doing the job just fine for decades.

                This sort of nonsense about primers is like folks arguing over sports teams.
                soft primers, hard primers, magnum primers, overblown slam fire tales,

                Sometimes reloading just seems like a giant screwed-up game of 'Telephone'. With the worst sort of pedantry, lore, and gunshop FUD passed around as edict. That's not even counting the increasing numbers of dysfunctional compulsives that seem to be coming to the field.

                Comment

                • #9
                  10fcp
                  Member
                  • May 2008
                  • 218

                  That's pretty much all I use. Agreed I have heard that they have a little harder cup than others but I have never had a misfire or issue with any of them. The nice thing to is they are a little cheaper than most when you can find them.

                  Comment

                  Working...
                  UA-8071174-1