Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Ultrasonic Cleaners?

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • Rocketrob
    Member
    • Feb 2013
    • 301

    Ultrasonic Cleaners?

    So who likes what cleaner and why?

    I like that the rcbs and lemon have dual transducers but not sure I need 6.3 qt capacity. Want to clean parts not only brass.
  • #2
    Garv
    RSG Minion, Senior
    CGN Contributor - Lifetime
    • Apr 2014
    • 9075

    Originally posted by Kestryll:
    It never fails to amuse me how people get outraged but fail to tell the whole story in their rants....

    Comment

    • #3
      skyline
      Senior Member
      • Mar 2012
      • 500

      I like using hornady parts cleaner

      Sent from my SM-N976V using Tapatalk

      Comment

      • #4
        'ol shooter
        Veteran Member
        • Mar 2011
        • 4646

        Hornady parts cleaner is the same as what they sell at Harbor Freight with different colored plastic. I bought the Hornady on sale, it's fine for de-greasing parts and cleaning jewelry, but will not replace wet or dry tumbling. It simply does not clean the cases well enough for me.
        sigpic
        Bob B.
        (\__/)
        (='.'=)
        (")_(")

        Comment

        • #5
          BrassCase
          CGN/CGSSA Contributor
          CGN Contributor
          • Dec 2011
          • 3192

          I have a larger Stainless steel unit off e-bay that holds a bit more than 2 gals. It has a high and low setting, adjustable temp. It is made for a dental lab type.
          I'd agree with you but then we'd both be wrong...
          NRA Certified:

          Chief Range Safety Officer
          Instructor: Basic Pistol Shooting
          Instructor: Personal Protection Inside the Home

          Comment

          • #6
            NapalmCheese
            Calguns Addict
            • Feb 2011
            • 5958

            I have a harbor freight cleaner and am currently using it to clean brass.

            It does a fine job for cleaning stuff that wasn't all that dirty in the first place (case necks are pretty clean). It'll clean dirtier stuff to, but if you want it really clean, tumble it.

            I'm tumbling another batch of brass in a harbor frieght tumbler right now.

            I mostly use Dawn and water, I added a little vinegar this time to see how it comes out. I'm just cleaning the stuff before sizing. I'll tumble in stainless pins with a bit of Dawn after sizing.
            Calguns.net, where everyone responding to your post is a Navy Force Delta Recon 6 Sniperator.

            Comment

            • #7
              C.G.
              Calguns Addict
              • Oct 2005
              • 8250

              Another Harbor Freight unit with a heater works well on brass. I mostly just use vinegar in water solution, strength depends on how dirty the brass is. I wish I had a bigger unit, one of these days maybe. If you get one, make sure to blow out the excess liquid from the brass (I use air from a compressor) or dry it well.
              sigpic

              Comment

              • #8
                five.five-six
                CGN Contributor
                • May 2006
                • 34928

                I have a HF for over 10 years, I mostly use it for parts when I strip down a gun. I have done brass with it but it just doesn’t hold that much and seems like an extra and unnecessary step. If you want your brass super clean, get a tumbler with SS pins.

                Comment

                • #9
                  kcstott
                  I need a LIFE!!
                  • Nov 2011
                  • 11796

                  I got news for you.

                  All the ones mentioned. Lyman, RCBS, Hornady, Grizzly, Harbor freight are all made by Isonic.com
                  So go over to Grizzly, buy the BE1165 for $135 on close out and have the exact same unit as the RCBS unit at 1/3 or less of the price.

                  Isonic also has parts and accessories for these that if you know the Isonic part number you can get from Amazon far cheaper than direct

                  Comment

                  • #10
                    Sheldon
                    Senior Member
                    • Oct 2005
                    • 2149

                    Got one off Amazon for less than $100 shipped....3.5 liter sized. I initiated its use with a tank full of Hoppe's 9...wheeeew.....talk about fumes!!! And that was using it without any heat. Still cleaned my 1911 and Ruger MKII pistols well. Just took grips off and put whole frames in without any disassembly.....I did separate the slide from frame and barrel/bolt from slides.

                    Comment

                    • #11
                      kcstott
                      I need a LIFE!!
                      • Nov 2011
                      • 11796

                      Originally posted by Sheldon
                      Got one off Amazon for less than $100 shipped....3.5 liter sized. I initiated its use with a tank full of Hoppe's 9...wheeeew.....talk about fumes!!! And that was using it without any heat. Still cleaned my 1911 and Ruger MKII pistols well. Just took grips off and put whole frames in without any disassembly.....I did separate the slide from frame and barrel/bolt from slides.
                      If your tank has no drain port it is fine to do your cleaning that way. But if it does chemicals can attack the plastic parts and you'll find out when all your chemicals are on the floor and your cleaner is burned up due to running empty. I advise you to fill with your tank with water then use a glass or stainless tray tall enough so that when placed inside the water the water will not over flow the edge of the tray. Fill this tray with your chemicals place your parts inside and run as normal. Be advised a plastic tray will work but will reduce the energy reaching your parts by about 30%.
                      Also be advised complete disassembly is highly recommended, parts that are in contact with each other can be damaged over time and cleaning cycles due to the ultrasonic energy.

                      Comment

                      • #12
                        Sheldon
                        Senior Member
                        • Oct 2005
                        • 2149

                        Solid pan so no plastic. Didnt know parts left together might be damaged. Only needed maybe 10 minutes run time. Will keep that in mind now.

                        Comment

                        • #13
                          kcstott
                          I need a LIFE!!
                          • Nov 2011
                          • 11796

                          Originally posted by Sheldon
                          Solid pan so no plastic. Didnt know parts left together might be damaged. Only needed maybe 10 minutes run time. Will keep that in mind now.
                          Think about it. You are vibrating the parts at 30Khz or more. That vibration will cause wear and tear over time.
                          If you cleaned your guns manually and say once a year dunked them in the sonic cleaner you most likely would never see an issue. Now if you dropped the gun in there after ever trip to the range you may see problems sooner. The damage is going to be minor. Peening of surfaces in contact with each other.

                          When i worked for an Injection mold shop we use to tear down the molds and place parts in the ultrasonic tank. Everything came apart and parts were kept separated. this was to keep the parting line from being damaged.
                          yes part in a pistol have far less mass then the ejector pins in a mold but still the vibration is happening and it's only a matter of time before significant wear occurs.,

                          Comment

                          • #14
                            Sheldon
                            Senior Member
                            • Oct 2005
                            • 2149

                            Yeah I will keep that in mind! This will be a once in a great while thing.

                            Comment

                            • #15
                              kcstott
                              I need a LIFE!!
                              • Nov 2011
                              • 11796

                              Originally posted by Sheldon
                              Yeah I will keep that in mind! This will be a once in a great while thing.
                              then it will not be an issue. I wouldn't worry about it.

                              one thing you will see is just how cruddy stuff is. Ultrasonic cleaners are amazing. Good luck to you

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              UA-8071174-1