Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Reloading using factory self defense bullets

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • BillnotBob
    Junior Member
    • Jul 2011
    • 79

    Reloading using factory self defense bullets

    I have read many times do not use reloads/hand loads for self defense. What about all those Speer gold dots, Remington golden sabers, Hornady xtp, Lehi defens, and many others that you can load with? Say use the case from a Speer gold dot factory load and reload with a gold dot bullet at the same velocity? You could then load the ammo for better function and consistency in your gun.
    Will the legel system use it against you?
  • #2
    hermosabeach
    I need a LIFE!!
    • Feb 2009
    • 19836

    So their are people who say in a self defense scenario that is a good/ legal/ justified homicide....

    1) gun modifications will send you to jail

    They believe you will get charged criminally for the modified gun....

    2) there are those that believe that any gun mods will make you lose a civil case too...


    Ammo- recycling - reloading falls into both scenarios one and two above...


    The attorneys/ DA will see you as the mad chemist who was not satisfied with standard Self Defense ammo and you make extra deadly bullets with ludacris velocity....

    You "Lie in in wait" with a gun capable of shooting through two... no- three schools.... in order to murder someone who was just a misguided person....




    --
    I'm not sure I have ever heard of a case where reloaded ammo made a difference to the DA who reviewed the case nor the jury on your civil trial



    one could argue that all of the marketing of ammo might make you look bad.... and your attorney would giggly and explain that Speer sells 2,800,000 rounds of Gold Dot per month.... your attorney would present the name of every police department in the county that uses Speer as either Duty ammo or allows officers to use speer for off duty concealed carry....


    Now if you modify ammo... say load the tip of a hollow point with Fentanyl so a nick would cause a lethal overdose... well that obviously is criminal....
    IF you dip your bullets in bacon grease... and post your jew and Muslim killed to face book.... well that would make you an idiot and probably get you in a bad place....




    Long way of saying-
    If your handgun does not work with factory ammo- get it fixed
    Last edited by hermosabeach; 02-25-2020, 7:55 PM.
    Rule 1- ALL GUNS ARE ALWAYS LOADED

    Rule 2 -NEVER LET THE MUZZLE COVER ANYTHING YOU ARE NOT PREPARED TO DESTROY (including your hands and legs)

    Rule 3 -KEEP YOUR FINGER OFF THE TRIGGER UNTIL YOUR SIGHTS ARE ON THE TARGET

    Rule 4 -BE SURE OF YOUR TARGET AND WHAT IS BEYOND IT
    (thanks to Jeff Cooper)

    Comment

    • #3
      MongooseV8
      Veteran Member
      • Apr 2010
      • 4426

      Who cares. If you had no choice but to shoot at a bad guy the legal mumbo jumbo afterwards doesnt matter. Dont get the cart before the horse.

      Comment

      • #4
        capo602002
        Member
        • Oct 2009
        • 113



        Every gun owner should read.

        Comment

        • #5
          'ol shooter
          Veteran Member
          • Mar 2011
          • 4646

          I actually reduce my loads for home self defense and use a low flash powder, I don't want to go deaf and blind. I also want to hit what I aim at in a pinch. All the components are new, so they are handloads but not reloads.
          If I ever have to lawyer up over a shooting, C.D. Michel and Associates would be my go-to. Chuck is current Prez of CRPA.
          Last edited by 'ol shooter; 02-26-2020, 9:22 AM.
          sigpic
          Bob B.
          (\__/)
          (='.'=)
          (")_(")

          Comment

          • #6
            wannabefree
            Member
            • Nov 2017
            • 194

            I personally carry factory HST ammo but would not hesitate to carry my own reloaded defense ammo if I ran out of factory stuff. Here in Ca. especially it is getting harder and harder to buy good self defense ammo at fair prices let alone find much of it in stock locally.
            I used to be able to mail order my current ammo for about .30 a round in 50 round boxes now it costs double that and is only available in 20 round boxes. I can reload same or better spec ammo for .15 a round.
            When its about self defense its not about the cost necessarily but readily availability is important. For now I reload them for back up mags only but that my change as time goes on.
            I call BS to the notion its really going to matter if I ever should have to use them for self defense. I have better things to worry about.
            Just my .02, Dave

            Comment

            • #7
              BillnotBob
              Junior Member
              • Jul 2011
              • 79

              Thank you capo602002 for the link, very good info. Would love to have her as my lawyer.
              Thank you all for the positive help. I have recently purchased a LEO trade in SIG P229R, and love the Federal HST.

              Comment

              • #8
                MarikinaMan
                Veteran Member
                • Nov 2015
                • 4864

                The problem with reloads is do you trust them?

                I reload defense rounds from my rifle. I load them one at a time and seal them.

                For pistol, I buy Federal HSTs

                Comment

                • #9
                  'ol shooter
                  Veteran Member
                  • Mar 2011
                  • 4646

                  Which round would be considered more reliable, one that comes off an automated machine that cranks out thousand's of rounds per hour, or my single stage press with hand inserted primers in virgin brass, hand weighed charges, then hand seated and crimped?
                  sigpic
                  Bob B.
                  (\__/)
                  (='.'=)
                  (")_(")

                  Comment

                  • #10
                    MarikinaMan
                    Veteran Member
                    • Nov 2015
                    • 4864

                    Originally posted by 'ol shooter
                    Which round would be considered more reliable, one that comes off an automated machine that cranks out thousand's of rounds per hour, or my single stage press with hand inserted primers in virgin brass, hand weighed charges, then hand seated and crimped?
                    How are they? Have you had any that failed to fire?

                    The answer to the above, is your answer.

                    Comment

                    • #11
                      'ol shooter
                      Veteran Member
                      • Mar 2011
                      • 4646

                      I have found some factory rounds mangled or inert in boxes of ammo, and have never had a properly hand-loaded round fail, yet.

                      There is your answer.
                      sigpic
                      Bob B.
                      (\__/)
                      (='.'=)
                      (")_(")

                      Comment

                      • #12
                        mikeyr
                        Senior Member
                        • Sep 2011
                        • 1554

                        I trust ME over a machine that a manufacturer says the ammo is good. I handload each individual HD round, plinking rounds are done on a Dillon 650, but HD is done on single stage, each round hand weighed.
                        sigpic
                        NRA Benefactor Member
                        . CRPA Member

                        Comment

                        • #13
                          MarikinaMan
                          Veteran Member
                          • Nov 2015
                          • 4864

                          Originally posted by 'ol shooter
                          I have found some factory rounds mangled or inert in boxes of ammo, and have never had a properly hand-loaded round fail, yet.

                          There is your answer.
                          Cool. Then go do it. 100% sounds like a great ratio to me.

                          One cannot say the same for everyone. It all depends on the quality of the output.

                          Comment

                          • #14
                            'ol shooter
                            Veteran Member
                            • Mar 2011
                            • 4646

                            To be clear, not all my defensive ammo is hand-loaded, mainly for my S&W 442 bed gun and my 9mm Shield, the downstairs desk gun.
                            They are loaded down to minimize flash and report because they are short and indoors. They both use lightweight XTP's.
                            If I were involved in a social situation it would involve a full sized pistol.
                            I have lots of 9mm HST and would consider it very dependable.
                            sigpic
                            Bob B.
                            (\__/)
                            (='.'=)
                            (")_(")

                            Comment

                            • #15
                              alpha_romeo_XV
                              Veteran Member
                              • Jun 2006
                              • 3141

                              Would you rather justify shooting a threat with a hand loaded 32acp or a factory loaded 44magnum?

                              I'm sure the results of a factory loaded 12 guage 3" magnum would make for a graphic autopsy report.

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              UA-8071174-1