Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Ammo recommendations for San Leandro Range

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • Lee49645
    Junior Member
    • Sep 2016
    • 42

    Ammo recommendations for San Leandro Range

    San Leandro Gun Range has some ammo restrictions when comes to shooting and I'm a little unfamiliar in that department.

    I have always just bought brand name ammunition online mostly 90% of them FMJ. Obviously FMJ is not allowed but I dont understand if what I am buying is steel core or not. Obviously I can test with a magnet but if I'm buying online I'm not sure if I can tell unless it tells me steel or non-steel.

    To be more specific, I am looking to shoot 5.56 and 7.62 NATO. I have been suggested by local gun store to look into soft point, spire point and hollow point.

    Any advice/suggestions would be greatly appreciated!
  • #2
    JagerDog
    I need a LIFE!!
    • May 2011
    • 15615

    They don't list any special requirements on their website.

    Why do you say FMJ is out?

    Website says they sell ammo there. Might be a good start.
    Palestine is a fake country

    No Mas Hamas



    #Blackolivesmatter

    Comment

    • #3
      Lee49645
      Junior Member
      • Sep 2016
      • 42

      Originally posted by JagerDog
      They don't list any special requirements on their website.

      Why do you say FMJ is out?

      Website says they sell ammo there. Might be a good start.
      They told me when I was taking their range safety test. The restrictions are listed under their Safety Policies and FAQ page. In the 100 yard rules they list "No FMJ or Steel Core".

      I was not comfortable with what they had. They only offered reloads for 7.62 and it cost a lot more than what I believe I can get online.
      Last edited by Lee49645; 02-23-2020, 10:11 PM.

      Comment

      • #4
        bruce381
        Senior Member
        • Feb 2009
        • 2453

        "No FMJ or Steel Core".

        Pretty clear get soft point or hollow point ammo or buy thers to get a feel for what they allow.

        Comment

        • #5
          smoothy8500
          Veteran Member
          • Sep 2009
          • 3846

          11. Ammunition not allowed

          o Tracer ammo

          o FMJ, STEEL-CORE, and Magnetic

          o All Pistol ammunition over 454 Casull. (454 Must be lead only)

          o .50 caliber or above except for Black powder firearms

          o Magnums other than .22 on inside range

          Yeah, it's spelled out. Their house, their rules.
          You don't need Gold Medal Match 308, there are some lower-cost alternatives like American Eagle, PPU/Privi, or Fiocchi Hollow-Point BT/match.

          Comment

          • #6
            Epaphroditus
            Veteran Member
            • Sep 2013
            • 4888

            If there's more than 3 shooters be prepared to be swept multiple times.
            CA firearms laws timeline BLM land maps

            Comment

            • #7
              divingin
              Veteran Member
              • Jul 2015
              • 2522

              Originally posted by JagerDog
              They don't list any special requirements on their website.

              Why do you say FMJ is out?
              Because the 100 yd (CF rifle) line does not allow other than softpoint, hollowpoint, or OTM bullets. No steel/penetrating core.

              To the OP: Pretty much any commercial, non-military ammo with the above listed bullet configuration will be OK. Which means, for the most part, any match or hunting rifle ammunition.

              Comment

              • #8
                Lee49645
                Junior Member
                • Sep 2016
                • 42

                Originally posted by bruce381
                "No FMJ or Steel Core".

                Pretty clear get soft point or hollow point ammo or buy thers to get a feel for what they allow.
                Between the two I would probably go for hollow point. Why the hell is soft/polymer tip so expensive?

                Originally posted by smoothy8500
                11.

                You don't need Gold Medal Match 308, there are some lower-cost alternatives like American Eagle, PPU/Privi, or Fiocchi Hollow-Point BT/match.
                Ok I will look into those brands, Thanks. What is your opinion on Frontier ammo (made by Hornady?) I believe this was suggested to me by someone at the range. Please also see my third reply.

                Originally posted by divingin
                Because the 100 yd (CF rifle) line does not allow other than softpoint, hollowpoint, or OTM bullets. No steel/penetrating core.

                To the OP: Pretty much any commercial, non-military ammo with the above listed bullet configuration will be OK. Which means, for the most part, any match or hunting rifle ammunition.
                My Fulton M1A is marked for 7.62 NATO, isn't that military ammo? Currently in the middle of researching if I can use .308, so far it seems using .308 is a no-no due to headspace issues and there is no clear evidence about their difference in pressure would cause any issue.

                I do see some boat tail hollow point but its over $1/round, I guess I just gotta pay to play sometimes.


                Thank you to everyone for the advice and recommendations!

                Comment

                • #9
                  smoothy8500
                  Veteran Member
                  • Sep 2009
                  • 3846

                  The concern between commercial "Hunting" ammo and mil-spec is a valid concern with M14/M1A and M1 Garands. However, the Match 155/168/175 ammo from Frontier, PPU, Fiocchi, American Eagle, etc have all shown to be produced with powders/cases that are acceptable. For sure, some hunting ammo listed as "Super-Performance", "Maximum Terminal something-something", etc, are probably the ones to avoid.

                  Good Shooting!
                  Love my LRB M14S
                  Last edited by smoothy8500; 02-25-2020, 8:48 AM.

                  Comment

                  • #10
                    divingin
                    Veteran Member
                    • Jul 2015
                    • 2522

                    Originally posted by Lee49645
                    My Fulton M1A is marked for 7.62 NATO, isn't that military ammo? Currently in the middle of researching if I can use .308, so far it seems using .308 is a no-no due to headspace issues and there is no clear evidence about their difference in pressure would cause any issue.
                    Hmmm. I always heard it was a pressure issue. The gas system may not like playing nice with the higher pressures (actually, that may have been M1 Garands; don't remember now. There are some warnings about case rupture in switching between 7.62 and 308, but I haven't seen that directed towards the M1A.) 308 has an allowable pressure in the 62,000 psi range; 7.62 x 51's pressure is at about 60,000. Does that make a difference? Don't really know, as I don't own an M1A, and never really cared to hash through all the stuff available.

                    Externally, 308Win and 7.62NATO cartridges are identical, so I can't see it being a headspace issue.

                    But, hey, it's your rifle; go with what you find in your research.

                    Comment

                    • #11
                      MrSupermotoracer
                      Junior Member
                      • Dec 2011
                      • 36

                      Comment

                      • #12
                        bruce381
                        Senior Member
                        • Feb 2009
                        • 2453

                        yeah who is jenn? just asking

                        Comment

                        • #13
                          MrSupermotoracer
                          Junior Member
                          • Dec 2011
                          • 36

                          Manager


                          Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

                          Comment

                          • #14
                            TheGood
                            Calguns Addict
                            • Mar 2017
                            • 6334

                            I thought the no FMJ rule was for the outdoor rifle ranges. FMJ pistol ammo is the standard ammo for autoloading pistols. I'm pretty sure they know that and don't have an issue with using it in the pistol range. I could be wrong, but most pistol target shooters are going to be using FMJ or wadcutters.

                            They don't allow 'magnum' loads on the pistol range, so either take non-magnum rounds (38 Special for 357mag, etc) or buy theirs at the range.
                            Leftists Call their own Marxism a far-right "Fascist Conspiracy Theory" <- Link to their playbook

                            Comment

                            • #15
                              the86d
                              Calguns Addict
                              • Jul 2011
                              • 9587

                              I have never seen magnetic ammo... ... ...

                              Curving bullets?

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              UA-8071174-1