Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

30-06 safe min lenght

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • silaic7
    Senior Member
    • Nov 2009
    • 552

    30-06 safe min lenght

    I trimmed my 30-06 too short. I know that the min length should be 2.484 but for some reason when I measured it they are coming up as 2.474 probably wrong setting on my trimmer. But are those short (2.474) still usable? planning to use it on my M1 garand.
  • #2
    hermosabeach
    I need a LIFE!!
    • Feb 2009
    • 19828

    I would load a few to see how they shoot

    Neck tension has a lot of impact on accuracy.
    Rule 1- ALL GUNS ARE ALWAYS LOADED

    Rule 2 -NEVER LET THE MUZZLE COVER ANYTHING YOU ARE NOT PREPARED TO DESTROY (including your hands and legs)

    Rule 3 -KEEP YOUR FINGER OFF THE TRIGGER UNTIL YOUR SIGHTS ARE ON THE TARGET

    Rule 4 -BE SURE OF YOUR TARGET AND WHAT IS BEYOND IT
    (thanks to Jeff Cooper)

    Comment

    • #3
      Divernhunter
      Calguns Addict
      • May 2010
      • 8753

      They will work fine. Just no need to trim as soon as others again
      A 30cal will reach out and touch them. A 50cal will kick their butt.
      NRA Life Member, NRA certified RSO & Basic Pistol Instructor, Hunter, shooter, reloader
      SCI, Manteca Sportsmen Club, Coalinga Rifle Club, Escalon Sportsmans Club, Waterford Sportsman Club & NAHA Member, Madison Society member

      Comment

      • #4
        JagerDog
        I need a LIFE!!
        • May 2011
        • 15625

        What divernhunter said
        Palestine is a fake country

        No Mas Hamas



        #Blackolivesmatter

        Comment

        • #5
          pacrat
          I need a LIFE!!
          • May 2014
          • 10285

          Originally posted by Divernhunter
          They will work fine. Just no need to trim as soon as others again
          Originally posted by JagerDog
          What divernhunter said
          Make that 3 for GTG.

          Comment

          • #6
            fguffey
            Senior Member
            • Mar 2010
            • 1408

            I trimmed my 30-06 too short. I know that the min length should be 2.484 but for some reason when I measured it they are coming up as 2.474 probably wrong setting on my trimmer. But are those short (2.474) still usable? planning to use it on my M1 Garand
            .

            Most information that covers reloading is fragmented; when discussing one caliber with another reloaders do not believe one set of rules will not apply to another caliber. And then they do not have a rational for the difference.

            they claim 2.473 is not too short, at the same time there is nothing they can do when forming 338/06 and or 35 Whelen cases from 30/06 cases. After forming the 30/06 to 338/06 or 35 Whelen the case length from the end of the neck to the case head is .035" shorter meaning the case length after forming is 2.459".

            I am the fan of covering all of the chamber with the case, I do not want a gap between the end of neck to the beginning of the cone.

            X-dies, RCBS suggest trimming the length of the case .020" shorter than maximum case length. Point? When it is time to trim the case it is time to start over on more cases.

            F. Guffey

            Comment

            • #7
              fguffey
              Senior Member
              • Mar 2010
              • 1408

              And then? There are 3 different maximum overall lengths.

              F. Guffey
              Last edited by fguffey; 02-15-2020, 6:35 PM.

              Comment

              • #8
                JagerDog
                I need a LIFE!!
                • May 2011
                • 15625

                Well that clears that up.
                Palestine is a fake country

                No Mas Hamas



                #Blackolivesmatter

                Comment

                • #9
                  hambam105
                  Calguns Addict
                  • Jan 2013
                  • 7083

                  Pacrat knows reloading. If it were me I wouldn't doubt his reloading 30-06 advise.

                  I reform 30-06 cases to 7.65X53mm, so I've never seen a '06 trimmed case that was too short for me.

                  Comment

                  • #10
                    freonr22
                    I need a LIFE!!
                    • Dec 2008
                    • 12948

                    Originally posted by hermosabeach
                    I would load a few to see how they shoot

                    Neck tension has a lot of impact on accuracy.
                    How many neck tensions, should there be?
                    sigpic
                    Originally posted by dantodd
                    We will win. We are right. We will never stop fighting.
                    Originally posted by bwiese
                    They don't believe it's possible, but then Alison didn't believe there'd be 350K - 400K OLLs in CA either.
                    Originally posted by louisianagirl
                    Our fate is ours alone to decide as long as we remain armed heavily enough to dictate it.

                    Comment

                    • #11
                      JagerDog
                      I need a LIFE!!
                      • May 2011
                      • 15625

                      Originally posted by freonr22
                      How many neck tensions, should there be?
                      Obviously you need to add 0.3 additional tensions if your case is 0.020" under nominal. For nominal, I've found 3.73 tensions works for me in my rifle. YTMV
                      Palestine is a fake country

                      No Mas Hamas



                      #Blackolivesmatter

                      Comment

                      • #12
                        fguffey
                        Senior Member
                        • Mar 2010
                        • 1408

                        How many neck tensions, should there be?
                        For the answer to that question it will be necessary to find a reloader that knows what he is doing. I do not know of a member that understands how to convert tensions to pounds.

                        I would like to help, I am the only reloader with a tension gage; problem, my tension gage is not marked off in tensions and reloaders do not have a conversion for tensions to pounds.

                        F. Guffey

                        Comment

                        • #13
                          J-cat
                          Calguns Addict
                          • May 2005
                          • 6626

                          Tensions cannot simply be converted to pounds. The relationship between the neck and the bullet is complicated by several variables.

                          Comment

                          • #14
                            JagerDog
                            I need a LIFE!!
                            • May 2011
                            • 15625

                            Originally posted by J-cat
                            Tensions cannot simply be converted to pounds. The relationship between the neck and the bullet is complicated by several variables.
                            That's why I stick to measuring in tensions. Otherwise it's like trying to convert CUP to PSI.
                            Palestine is a fake country

                            No Mas Hamas



                            #Blackolivesmatter

                            Comment

                            Working...
                            UA-8071174-1