Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Midway Prvi Partizan .308 - Edge Cracks?

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • aermotor
    CGN/CGSSA Contributor
    • Apr 2009
    • 2566

    Midway Prvi Partizan .308 - Edge Cracks?

    I just ordered some boxes of of .308 from Midway: http://www.midwayusa.com/eproductpag...29954#enalarge

    Some of the edges where the bullets are placed are rough and look/feel like they have small cracks around the rim. Is this stuff reloaded? Is this normal? Just seemed strange, but I dunno.
  • #2
    FMJBT
    Veteran Member
    • Mar 2007
    • 4888

    I've never noticed that on any of mine. I've run through quite a bit of both the 168 and 175 grain stuff, both seemed to be assembled pretty well. With current demand though, they may have slipped a bit on the quality control due to increased production.
    U.S. Navy (Retired) 1994-2015

    Comment

    • #3
      jimbo1747
      Member
      • Mar 2008
      • 325

      I'm not a reloader or ammo expert in any way, but I just checked the ammo that I got from Midway and I think you're talking about their crimp? Looks that they put that crimp on their Match ammo as it doesn't appear on the 145 gr FMJ "white box" ammo?

      Not 100% sure if the crimp is suppose to help with accuracy, perhaps a reloader can chime in on that? But I don't think it's anything to worry about. I checked some old 62 gr. FMJ Winchester ammo (USA223R3) that I have and it has the same kind of crimp, albeit its more nicely executed.

      PPU 168 gr. HP on the left, PPU 145 gr. FMJ on the right.


      PPU 145 FMJ, PPU 168 HP, Winchester 62 FMJ

      Comment

      • #4
        puropuro
        CGN/CGSSA Contributor
        • Nov 2008
        • 650

        total newb here, but I believe crimp increases pressure, which would boost velocity.

        Comment

        • #5
          jimbo1747
          Member
          • Mar 2008
          • 325

          The crimp might look unsightly, but the ammo works just fine. Shot a box of the stuff out of my Savage 10 FP over the weekend and it worked pretty well. The groups weren't spectacular, but I can live with it. Here's one of the better 5-shot 100 yard groups that I got using this stuff.

          Comment

          Working...
          UA-8071174-1