Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

308 loads. UPDATE....

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • kevins750
    Senior Member
    • Feb 2013
    • 1376

    308 loads. UPDATE....

    Let me hear your most accurate loads..my first 308. Savage 10 FCP-SR 24" bbl
    Bolt gun loads only please....I see mostly loads for semi auto and 20" bolt guns.
    Last edited by kevins750; 12-25-2019, 10:56 AM.
    "To compel a man to furnish funds for the propagation of ideas he disbelieves and abhors is sinful and tyrannical." Thomas Jefferson
    NRA+CRPA member

    "Get yourself a Glock and lose that nickel plated sissy pistol" -------Deputy Samuel Gerard
  • #2
    Paseclipse
    CGN/CGSSA Contributor
    • Jul 2011
    • 1246

    The best load for any rifle is the one you work up and test for your particular rifle. A load that works well for my rifle could be dangerous in yours.

    That being said, my Savage 10 FCP-SR prefers Varget pushing 168 gr SMK's.

    Comment

    • #3
      kevins750
      Senior Member
      • Feb 2013
      • 1376

      Originally posted by Paseclipse
      The best load for any rifle is the one you work up and test for your particular rifle. A load that works well for my rifle could be dangerous in yours.

      That being said, my Savage 10 FCP-SR prefers Varget pushing 168 gr SMK's.
      I probably should have been a little more specific.......

      Just bullet and powder.
      "To compel a man to furnish funds for the propagation of ideas he disbelieves and abhors is sinful and tyrannical." Thomas Jefferson
      NRA+CRPA member

      "Get yourself a Glock and lose that nickel plated sissy pistol" -------Deputy Samuel Gerard

      Comment

      • #4
        anhzx
        CGN/CGSSA Contributor - Lifetime
        CGN Contributor - Lifetime
        • Feb 2015
        • 386

        I am working with on these with my savage FLCP-SR 308
        -168 grn A-max, varget 42.5 - 43 grn, 2.8 oal, cbc brass
        - 178 grn ELD-X, IMR 4895 39.5-40.5grn, 2.8 OAL, CBC brass
        - 178 grn ELD-X, VARGET 40.5-41.5 grn, 2.8 OAL, CBC brass
        FOR SALE

        M1 Garand, LaRue 14.5 and 16, KR-9 rifles

        USP Expert 45ACP

        LaRue UU 16 in upper

        Comment

        • #5
          kevins750
          Senior Member
          • Feb 2013
          • 1376

          Originally posted by anhzx
          I am working with on these with my savage FLCP-SR 308
          -168 grn A-max, varget 42.5 - 43 grn, 2.8 oal, cbc brass
          - 178 grn ELD-X, IMR 4895 39.5-40.5grn, 2.8 OAL, CBC brass
          - 178 grn ELD-X, VARGET 40.5-41.5 grn, 2.8 OAL, CBC brass
          Thank you.
          "To compel a man to furnish funds for the propagation of ideas he disbelieves and abhors is sinful and tyrannical." Thomas Jefferson
          NRA+CRPA member

          "Get yourself a Glock and lose that nickel plated sissy pistol" -------Deputy Samuel Gerard

          Comment

          • #6
            AGGRO
            Veteran Member
            • Oct 2009
            • 2793

            GMX 150 grain with 44.5 grains of H4895.

            Comment

            • #7
              Catch
              Senior Member
              • Jan 2013
              • 1327

              5r 24" bbl.
              I mostly use varget, imr4064, and reserve h4895 for semis.
              Speer, hornady and nosler in 155, 168, 175, 180 have all shot well.

              Comment

              • #8
                baih777
                CGN/CGSSA Contributor
                CGN Contributor
                • Jul 2011
                • 5680

                Hornady 168 HPBT
                Hornady 168 A-Max
                Midsouth shooters supply 168 HPBT

                Target
                Benchmark
                Reloaded 15
                Been gone too long. It's been 15 to 20 years since i had to shelf my guns. Those early years sucked.
                I really miss the good old Pomona Gun Shows.
                I'm Back.

                Comment

                • #9
                  kevins750
                  Senior Member
                  • Feb 2013
                  • 1376

                  Originally posted by Catch
                  5r 24" bbl.
                  I mostly use varget, imr4064, and reserve h4895 for semis.
                  Speer, hornady and nosler in 155, 168, 175, 180 have all shot well.
                  Which speer did you find shot well?
                  "To compel a man to furnish funds for the propagation of ideas he disbelieves and abhors is sinful and tyrannical." Thomas Jefferson
                  NRA+CRPA member

                  "Get yourself a Glock and lose that nickel plated sissy pistol" -------Deputy Samuel Gerard

                  Comment

                  • #10
                    Magilla26
                    Member
                    • Jun 2015
                    • 111

                    150 grain TSX with 748. Remington 700, 22" barrel, 1 in 10 twist.

                    Comment

                    • #11
                      kcstott
                      I need a LIFE!!
                      • Nov 2011
                      • 11796

                      175 SMK or Berger VLD seated at mag length Nosler RDF seated on the lands

                      Rem 700 5R stainless with 2536 rounds down the tube. (yes I keep very good records. Peterson brass Fed 215 match primers
                      MR2000 powder 47.5 produces 2750 for the SMK/Berger and 2680 for the RDF. Bullet is still doing 1310 at 980 yards and cut one hole 3/8" groups at 100 yards.

                      Be advised 47.5 is max in the Hornady manual and 47.7 is max for the powder manufacturer . I do not have pressure issues but you might. It's to hot a load for Lake City brass.

                      by the way the barrel is off the gun and we are now working up loads for the 6xc and she is shooting extremely well.
                      Last edited by kcstott; 10-07-2019, 9:42 AM.

                      Comment

                      • #12
                        Fjold
                        I need a LIFE!!
                        • Oct 2005
                        • 23065

                        Hunting or target?

                        Hunting:
                        308 Win Hornady 165g BTSP IMR4064 44 grn CCI 200 2600 fps
                        Frank

                        One rifle, one planet, Holland's 375




                        Life Member NRA, CRPA and SAF

                        Comment

                        • #13
                          kevins750
                          Senior Member
                          • Feb 2013
                          • 1376

                          Originally posted by Fjold
                          Hunting or target?

                          Hunting:
                          308 Win Hornady 165g BTSP IMR4064 44 grn CCI 200 2600 fps
                          Target sir, sorry I didn't mention that in op....
                          "To compel a man to furnish funds for the propagation of ideas he disbelieves and abhors is sinful and tyrannical." Thomas Jefferson
                          NRA+CRPA member

                          "Get yourself a Glock and lose that nickel plated sissy pistol" -------Deputy Samuel Gerard

                          Comment

                          • #14
                            kevins750
                            Senior Member
                            • Feb 2013
                            • 1376

                            Originally posted by kcstott
                            175 SMK or Berger VLD seated at mag length Nosler RDF seated on the lands

                            Rem 700 5R stainless with 2536 rounds down the tube. (yes I keep very good records. Peterson brass Fed 215 match primers
                            MR2000 powder 47.5 produces 2750 for the SMK/Berger and 2680 for the RDF. Bullet is still doing 1310 at 980 yards and cut one hole 3/8" groups at 100 yards.

                            Be advised 47.5 is max in the Hornady manual and 47.7 is max for the powder manufacturer . I do not have pressure issues but you might. It's to hot a load for Lake City brass.

                            by the way the barrel is off the gun and we are now working up loads for the 6xc and she is shooting extremely well.
                            I bought a 308 to give my 6 and 7mm barrels a rest when shooting under 1K. I picked 308 because it would be "easy" to load for and then I started reading and found it seems like a complex round. Thanks for all the help all you guys.
                            "To compel a man to furnish funds for the propagation of ideas he disbelieves and abhors is sinful and tyrannical." Thomas Jefferson
                            NRA+CRPA member

                            "Get yourself a Glock and lose that nickel plated sissy pistol" -------Deputy Samuel Gerard

                            Comment

                            • #15
                              kcstott
                              I need a LIFE!!
                              • Nov 2011
                              • 11796

                              Originally posted by kevins750
                              I bought a 308 to give my 6 and 7mm barrels a rest when shooting under 1K. I picked 308 because it would be "easy" to load for and then I started reading and found it seems like a complex round. Thanks for all the help all you guys.
                              6mm is far easier to develop a load for. The 308 is forgiving but not like a 6x47 or a 6 cm or xc
                              Last edited by kcstott; 10-07-2019, 11:01 AM.

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              UA-8071174-1