Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Redding competition dies

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • osis32
    Calguns Addict
    • Jul 2009
    • 5912

    Redding competition dies

    I had the rcbs gold medal does before but i traded them so I've been looking at 300 win may dies again. Is it worth getting this set? From my research the 300 cases are only good for about 5 reloads. Any insight is appreciated.


    This is the set i am looking at:

    Just a libertarian guy in a Leftist Authoritarian state.

  • #2
    anyracoon
    Veteran Member
    • May 2006
    • 3704

    For rifle loading I prefer the Redding dies over the RCBS dies. They just seemed to be better made.

    Comment

    • #3
      osis32
      Calguns Addict
      • Jul 2009
      • 5912

      Yeah but is that shoulder bump die worth it and/or necessary?
      Just a libertarian guy in a Leftist Authoritarian state.

      Comment

      • #4
        baih777
        CGN/CGSSA Contributor
        CGN Contributor
        • Jul 2011
        • 5680

        I have the Redding deluxe set. I really like them.

        For 300 win. You should get this die also. It resizes all the way to the belt. You do this after full length resizing. It has a built in go no go guage on the top. But use the recommended lube. Or it gets stuck.
        This new resizing die can reload 300 Win Mag cases up to 20 times each, instead of just 2 or 3 times, and the top of is reloading die is also used as a chamber width gauge.
        Last edited by baih777; 08-27-2019, 7:00 PM.
        Been gone too long. It's been 15 to 20 years since i had to shelf my guns. Those early years sucked.
        I really miss the good old Pomona Gun Shows.
        I'm Back.

        Comment

        • #5
          FLIGHT762
          Veteran Member
          • Mar 2009
          • 3072

          Originally posted by osis32
          Yeah but is that shoulder bump die worth it and/or necessary?
          Yes, the Body die (you call it the shoulder bump die) is necessary. The other die in the set is a "neck only" bushing die. You need the body die for F/L sizing since you can't N/O size forever.

          Personally, I don't N/O size over 3 loadings or so before F/L sizing again. I got tired of beating on my bolt handle with a 2X4 to get stuck cases out of the chamber.

          You do know you have to buy the correct size bushings to get proper neck tension?

          If I was going to start over reloading for a 300 WM, I would buy a Lee 300 WM N/O collet die, a Redding 300 WM F/L body die and either a Forster or Redding micrometer seating die. This way, you don't have to mess with buying bushings. you can N/O size if you want or F/L size when you want or need to. I wouldn't get bushing dies. TiN bushings are about $25.00 ea. I have $125.00 worth of TiN bushings for my 308 Win. bushing dies.

          I have a Redding bushing die set in 308 win. with 5 bushings for all of the different brass I use. I also have the Redding body die and Lee collet die.

          I do reload for 300 Win mag., but use traditional RCBS dies for that. I also have the Larry Willis collet sizing die to size at the case belt if needed..
          Last edited by FLIGHT762; 08-28-2019, 12:44 PM.

          Comment

          • #6
            fguffey
            Senior Member
            • Mar 2010
            • 1408

            From my research the 300 cases are only good for about 5 reloads.
            If this statement appeared on other reloading forums I would believe it was an add for the collet die for sizing mag cases in front of the belt.

            I had two 300 Winchester mag rifles, one was a Weatherby and the other was a Winchester model 70. Both rifles were new and both rifles used the same ammo. The Weatherby settled down to shot one hole groups after the 73 round. The Winchester Model 70 shot patterns like a shotgun through 6 boxes of ammo, That was 120 rounds.

            Winchester suggested I shoot it more, I explained to them the chamber was too large in length and in diameter. Cases fired in the Weatherby would chamber in the Winchester after firing and the Winchester cases would not chamber back into the same rifle they were fired from. I explained to them it was almost impossible to size the case that were fired in the model 70 etc. etc and it got worst.

            they authorized the local warranty smith to 'fix' the rifle. In two months I returned to the shop to pick up the rifle. He said he returned the rifle back to Winchester, he said the chamber was too large in diameter and it was too long from the bolt fact to the shoulder of the chamber. He claimed they authorized him to fix the rifle; he said he could hone, polish and ream the chamber. It was then I asked hi8m what part of the repairs reduced the size of the chamber. It was then he informed me none of the above, when finished the chamber was larger in diameter and longer from the bolt face to the shoulder of the chamber.

            That was over 15 years ago, I still have the rifle; when the rifle was returned it was impossible to close the bolt on a full length sized case. I fixed that and then thought about taking it to the range and then I got over it, I put the rifle back into the box and there it has been for all of these years.

            the Weatherby still shoots one hole groups, it is one of the few magnum rifles
            that seats the case on the belt and shoulder at the same time, sizing cases for that rifle is effortless.

            In the beginning the Weatherby shot only Federal GMM ammo, after that the rifle shot almost anything, it was necessary to zero the rifle when changing ammo.

            F. Guffey

            Comment

            • #7
              divingin
              Veteran Member
              • Jul 2015
              • 2522

              Not sure what that story had to do with the OP selecting appropriate dies...

              Comment

              Working...
              UA-8071174-1