Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

I need lots of help

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • bonzaiii
    Member
    • Aug 2011
    • 240

    I need lots of help

    It took the better part of a day but I finally got the case out, now we'll see how the next step goes.

    I used to reload many years ago and decided to get going again. I pulled out my Hornady Lock-N-Load Auto Progressive press and set everything up except the primer tubes (they will be here on Friday). Anyway I was doing a dry run with just a case and seemed to be going well, but the expander die needed to be adjusted, well after I did that the shell in now stuck in the die and I cannot lower the press or even remove the die, the die will turn but will not come out, Please I really need help trying to figure this out. Once I have this sorted out I'll delve into the questions regarding my Lee press.

    Last edited by bonzaiii; 08-20-2019, 10:45 AM. Reason: added pics
    .._...|..\__________________,_
    ....../ `---___________---- _____|]
    ...../_==o;;;;;;;;__ __________.:/
    .....), ---.(_(__) /
    ....// (..) ),
    ...//___//
    ..//___//
    .//___//
    Remember, no matter where you go, there you are!
  • #2
    socal m1 shooter
    Senior Member
    • Dec 2013
    • 1916

    iTrader under old CalGuns

    Comment

    • #3
      JackEllis
      Veteran Member
      • Nov 2015
      • 2731

      Next time remember to lube the case first. I used the method offered by socal m1 shooter a few months ago and it worked like a charm.

      Comment

      • #4
        bonzaiii
        Member
        • Aug 2011
        • 240

        tahnks but those wont work

        Neither of those methods will work, On the first one I cannot lower the shell plate so I can punch the shell out, Ont the second method I am unable to remove the die from the press
        .._...|..\__________________,_
        ....../ `---___________---- _____|]
        ...../_==o;;;;;;;;__ __________.:/
        .....), ---.(_(__) /
        ....// (..) ),
        ...//___//
        ..//___//
        .//___//
        Remember, no matter where you go, there you are!

        Comment

        • #5
          divingin
          Veteran Member
          • Jul 2015
          • 2522

          LNL AP press?


          You said the die will turn but not come out. How far does it turn? Do your dies screw into the press head, or are you using the quick-change bushings? If the latter, does the die turn within the bushing, or is the bushing turning in the press head? If the die does not turn in the bushing, you need more force to get it to do so. The bushing will only turn to the bayonet stop; you should be able to unscrew the die after hitting that - you could try unscrewing the die using a large pair of vise grips and a length of pipe to gain leverage. If I were to try this, I'd jam a piece of appropriately sized metal between the shellplate and the press opening to minimize the force on the shellplate.

          What caliber were you loading? Expander die, so I'm assuming a pistol caliber. If so, get a carbide sizing die. Virtually no chance of a stuck case.

          If rifle caliber and using jacketed bullets. lose the expander die. Lube cases appropriately to avoid sticking cases.

          Good luck!

          Comment

          • #6
            baih777
            CGN/CGSSA Contributor
            CGN Contributor
            • Jul 2011
            • 5680

            What brand die are you using.
            What caliber.
            Been gone too long. It's been 15 to 20 years since i had to shelf my guns. Those early years sucked.
            I really miss the good old Pomona Gun Shows.
            I'm Back.

            Comment

            • #7
              bruce381
              Senior Member
              • Feb 2009
              • 2453

              sawzall or hack saw blade the case in half and send die to the mfg to have them pull it out.

              or if its pistol and NOT a carbide die just toss it and get a new carbide die.

              Comment

              • #8
                BigBronco also not a Cabinetguy
                Calguns Addict
                • Jul 2009
                • 7079

                You should be able to remove the shell plate by removing the Allen bolt from the center through the hoe on the top of the press. This may require a long Allen tool. Next slide the shell plate off of the case and remove the die from the press.
                "Life is a long song" Jethro Tull

                Comment

                • #9
                  Dano3467
                  Calguns Addict
                  • Mar 2013
                  • 7381

                  +1 hack saw blade

                  Comment

                  • #10
                    Cheep
                    Senior Member
                    • Apr 2009
                    • 1327

                    Take the funnel out of the top of the die and use a punch down the center, CAREFULLY so you don't damage anything but the brass. Then polish the expander.
                    Originally posted by NOMADCHRIS
                    your asking a question about asking a question ??? just ask the damn question!!!

                    Comment

                    • #11
                      croue
                      Senior Member
                      • Jan 2013
                      • 1255

                      Comment

                      • #12
                        croue
                        Senior Member
                        • Jan 2013
                        • 1255

                        Big bronco has it right.


                        Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

                        Comment

                        • #13
                          9mmepiphany
                          Calguns Addict
                          • Jul 2008
                          • 8075

                          Originally posted by BigBronco
                          You should be able to remove the shell plate by removing the Allen bolt from the center through the hoe on the top of the press. This may require a long Allen tool. Next slide the shell plate off of the case and remove the die from the press.
                          Yup, the above would be the correct...and easiest...way to do it.

                          Unscrew the shell plate, lower the ram, and then take shell plate off the case. Once the case head is free of the shell plate, give the bushing a slight turn and remove the die, with the stuck case still inside, out the top of the press.
                          ...because the journey is the worthier part...The Shepherd's Tale

                          Comment

                          Working...
                          UA-8071174-1