Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

anyone else reloading for 45 colt (45 long colt)?

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • LongRangeShootin
    Member
    • Nov 2008
    • 444

    anyone else reloading for 45 colt (45 long colt)?

    anyone else loading up for 45 colt?

    ive got a 5.5" new model vaquero and im looking for a really accurate load for it.

    right now im working with two loads, hornady 255gr LRNFP sitting on 5.8gr of titegroup and hornady 240gr XTP sitting on 5.8gr of titegroup. both show fair accuracy at around 10-15 yards, but i havent gotten into really working up loads yet..

    any reccomendations on powder and bullet combos and any tried load data would be appreciated.

    may not be a good idea to post the data in the forums so either PM it to me, or email it.
  • #2
    TakeFive
    Member
    • Nov 2008
    • 157

    I am working with the 200 grain Speer Gold Dot hollow point and HS6 powder. So far, so good, but I'm not up to maximum load yet. I got started here: http://www.chuckhawks.com/45Colt.htm
    In theory, there is no difference between theory and practice, in practice, there is.

    Comment

    • #3
      ColetheGun
      Member
      • Jul 2008
      • 499

      also looking for the perfect load but i load at minimum, im shooting from a schofield and i dont want to blow my top! oh one thing i did was fun but a waste of primers, now that they are so rare or expensive i stoped, is just put a primer in and get a block of wax and load wax bullets that fun from 5-10 feet
      Last edited by ColetheGun; 04-22-2009, 10:46 AM.

      Comment

      • #4
        EOD3
        Senior Member
        • Nov 2003
        • 949

        Originally posted by LongRangeShootin
        anyone else loading up for 45 colt?

        ive got a 5.5" new model vaquero and im looking for a really accurate load for it.

        right now im working with two loads, hornady 255gr LRNFP sitting on 5.8gr of titegroup and hornady 240gr XTP sitting on 5.8gr of titegroup. both show fair accuracy at around 10-15 yards, but i havent gotten into really working up loads yet..

        any reccomendations on powder and bullet combos and any tried load data would be appreciated.

        may not be a good idea to post the data in the forums so either PM it to me, or email it.
        The Ruger you have IS NOT the Ruger they're talking about when they say "Ruger & Thompson Center". The loads you should use are specified for use in the Colt SAA and replicas.
        "I don't like repeat offenders, I like DEAD offenders!" ~Ted Nugent

        "America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system, but too early to shoot the bastards." ~ Claire Wolfe

        Comment

        • #5
          Bend
          Member
          • Feb 2009
          • 204

          Originally posted by EOD3
          The Ruger you have IS NOT the Ruger they're talking about when they say "Ruger & Thompson Center". The loads you should use are specified for use in the Colt SAA and replicas.
          Oh really. And, you know this how?
          "If you don't have 1000 rnds of ammo for every firearm you own, you have failed in your duty as a member of the human race." - FWB

          Comment

          • #6
            buffybuster
            Veteran Member
            • Oct 2005
            • 2615

            Titegroup is probably not going to give you the most consistent velocity in 45Colt. That's a very fast, very dense powder, as such 5-6grs is barely going to cover the bottom of the case, and leave about 80% empty case capacity. That powder is going to shloshing around in that case and it's going to burn differently whether it's up against the primer or against the bullet. The rounds are going to go off, but probably not going to be that consistent for MAXIMUM accuracy.

            Would recommend you go with a bulkier powder that takes up more of the case capacity. If you're looking for a mild load with lead bullets, IMR TrailBoss is the best bet. Another good one would be Unique, Herco or other flake propellants.
            Luck favors the prepared.

            The original battle plan did not survive initial contact with the enemy.

            "The things that will destroy America are prosperity at any price, peace at any price, safety first instead of duty first, the love of soft living and the get rich quick theory of life." -Theodore Roosevelt

            Comment

            • #7
              bohoki
              I need a LIFE!!
              • Jan 2006
              • 20826

              heck i just throw in 5 grains of bullseye and load it with a 200 swc or 5.5 grains of red dot

              Comment

              • #8
                EOD3
                Senior Member
                • Nov 2003
                • 949

                Originally posted by Bend
                Oh really. And, you know this how?
                ive got a 5.5" new model vaquero
                I guess you could call it a hunch, or maybe it's reading comprehension.
                "I don't like repeat offenders, I like DEAD offenders!" ~Ted Nugent

                "America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system, but too early to shoot the bastards." ~ Claire Wolfe

                Comment

                • #9
                  Calpoly93
                  Junior Member
                  • Apr 2009
                  • 27

                  Of all things, I tried VV340 with a 255gr. SWC the other day, and I was very pleasantly surprised. Cleaner than the other powders (Accurate Arms, etc.), recoil felt right, smelled better than 'Clays'... Did I mention how clean it was?

                  Comment

                  • #10
                    Ninja45
                    Senior Member
                    • Jan 2006
                    • 624

                    Your NEW MODEL Ruger Vaquero is not built as beefy as the OLD MODEL Vaqueros. They were made to cater to the Cowboy Action Shooting crowd. Lighter, slimmer revolver = lighter load. Use the load recommended for Colt six shooters.

                    Thus the comment of EOD3.

                    Comment

                    • #11
                      nobody_special
                      Senior Member
                      • Feb 2008
                      • 1041

                      I'll echo other's comments: the new model Vaquero is built for standard pressure 45 Colt.
                      It's the Blackhawks and old model Vaqueros that are sturdier and can take very high pressure loads.
                      Last edited by nobody_special; 04-23-2009, 3:46 PM. Reason: typo
                      Originally posted by Edmund G. Brown
                      There are certain rights that are not to be subject to popular votes, otherwise they are not fundamental rights. If every fundamental liberty can be stripped away by a majority vote, then it's not a fundamental liberty.
                      Originally posted by jeffyhog
                      When the governor vetoes a bill that would make it a felony to steal a gun, but signs a bill into law that makes it a felony not to register a gun you already legally own, you know something isn't right.

                      Comment

                      • #12
                        bohoki
                        I need a LIFE!!
                        • Jan 2006
                        • 20826

                        Originally posted by Calpoly93
                        Did I mention how clean it was?
                        now that just aint right you should always take your smoke wagon home looking like it was dragged through a coal mine

                        Comment

                        • #13
                          tankerman
                          I need a LIFE!!
                          • Mar 2006
                          • 24240

                          Originally posted by EOD3
                          I guess you could call it a hunch, or maybe it's reading comprehension.
                          What exactly do you comprehend?

                          250 GR. HDY XTP Hodgdon Titegroup .452" 1.595" 5.5 739 9700 CUP 6.3 830 12,700 CUP



                          This data is listed in the standard pressure section for 45 Colt, not the Ruger/Thompson section.

                          Perhaps doing a little research before before being a smarta-- might keep you from looking like a jerk.

                          Comment

                          • #14
                            sixgunner
                            Member
                            • Oct 2008
                            • 297

                            Loading for the 45 long colt

                            I have been Cowboy shooting Colts for a few years now. I use Trail boss its impossible to double charge a case . I have good luck with Tite group Red Dot. For lead I cast my own. Casting is the way to go for me. A mold with six holes cost less than one box of bullets. The Casting pot cost less than another box of bullets. My local shop sells Bear Creek Moly lubed 205 Gr bullets $45 500 now. I tumble lube the bullets with Alox liquid lube don't need to size em and away I go. I got casting fever the first day I started. If you want to size your bullets to .452 lee makes a size die that comes with the Alox lube for $15 works in any single stag press.

                            Good luck working up your loads.

                            Comment

                            • #15
                              EOD3
                              Senior Member
                              • Nov 2003
                              • 949

                              Originally posted by tankerman
                              What exactly do you comprehend?

                              250 GR. HDY XTP Hodgdon Titegroup .452" 1.595" 5.5 739 9700 CUP 6.3 830 12,700 CUP



                              This data is listed in the standard pressure section for 45 Colt, not the Ruger/Thompson section.

                              Perhaps doing a little research before before being a smarta-- might keep you from looking like a jerk.
                              I'm not going to waste my time pointing out the glaringly obvious sequence of posts. I'm reasonably certain that most people reading this thread know precisely who the JERK is. Perhaps reading (and comprehending) all the posts before being a...
                              "I don't like repeat offenders, I like DEAD offenders!" ~Ted Nugent

                              "America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system, but too early to shoot the bastards." ~ Claire Wolfe

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              UA-8071174-1